TNs: 05 DDO Laurene and 05 Grivot NSG Les Boudots

• 2005 Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Laurène - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (3/28/2020)
    Popped and poured to accompany baked chicken. Darker ruby color. Nose of violets, black cherry, raspberry, a bit of cinnamon, earthy soil. Densely packed on the palate with layers of blackberry, black raspberry, and graphite, with a bit of tart cherry and iron at the end. Structured and moderately tannic with fresh balancing acidity. This showed very coiled and young. Impressive quality but needs 3-5 years to stretch out. (91 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (3/21/2020)
    Popped and poured to accompany coq au vin. Darker ruby color. Nose of utter freshness, cut berry, damp cellar, almost searing violets. Layers of brilliant red raspberry and exuberant cherry fruit accompanied by brier and iron, bursting on the palate with verve and cut. Firm but filed off tannin balanced by ample acidity. Long finish of clear red berry, brier, iron, and earth. Super wine with so much life and sheer buoyancy. Surprised (and delighted) at how open this was, a joy to drink. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note on the Laurene. Been a LONG time since I’ve had one of these…one last bottle of 2000 left. Maybe it has stretched out enough?

[cheers.gif]

Hi Brian,

I would think so. I sampled a 2000 St. Innocent Seven Springs in December 2019 that showed quite well. I’m learning that Oregon PN can age just fine.

Cheers,
Doug

Nice notes, Doug,

Thanks for posting; the Grivot sounds delicious!

Fun pairing and thanks for posting. I’ve got 1 bottle of the Laurene left and some 2006 Grivot Boudots. I thought the Laurene had really come around nicely a few years ago…but still quite youthful, as you’ve noted.

Time to drink the 2000 Laurene IMHO, unless you want to wait for 25 or 30 years. [cheers.gif]

RT

Joshua,

The Grivot was unexpectedly open and delicious, especially for the vintage, and will only improve. I’ve sampled the 2007 also, thinking it would be more accessible and although quite good, it was not as enjoyable as the 2005.

Richard,

Yes it was indeed fun to drink these two so close together (note I tasted them a week apart) because I thought that the DDO would be more open and the Grivot more clenched. It turned out to be the other way around. I have a bottle of 2006 Grivot Boudots also but haven’t tried it yet. Would be interested in your thoughts if you open one.

Cheers,
Doug

05 Grivot Suchots is amazing also. Under the wire.l even now. Used to be an Accad follower—wines much better now.

Would love to source some Suchots Alan. Will have to do some research!

Cheers,
Doug

There’s some '98 Ech and 2008 Vosne Beaux Monts downstairs. Don’t remember the vintages…possibly 1998 and 2000 that Jim Anderson popped open during a dumbfoundingly generous Grivot bender at an IPNC dinner. A case worth of misc. goodies IIRC. The Boudots were tasty but the Beaux Monts was jaw dropping. Quite an evening!

RT