Washington Bordeaux Blends and Riesling

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
M a x S w o m l e y

Washington Bordeaux Blends and Riesling

#1 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 28th, 2020, 6:20 am

I've been meaning to jump into Washington for a while now, but it's a tough shell to crack. I can't seem to find any direction on what producers to start with. Do any of you have experience with the small wineries in WA and any advice on where/how to get started?

Thanks!

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Washington Bordeaux Blends and Riesling

#2 Post by JeremyMullman » March 28th, 2020, 7:46 am

For Bordeaux blends, Betz is a great place to start. Also Sleight of Hand and of course Quilceda Creek (which is polarizing around these parts).

Seven Hills is a great value as well.

There are many, many more.

M a x S w o m l e y

#3 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 28th, 2020, 7:50 am

JeremyMullman wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 7:46 am
For Bordeaux blends, Betz is a great place to start. Also Sleight of Hand and of course Quilceda Creek (which is polarizing around these parts).

Seven Hills is a great value as well.

There are many, many more.
Thanks man, looking forward to the "many, many more" part of that response

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Andrew Demaree » March 28th, 2020, 7:54 am

Check out the current thread on Davenport Cellars.

D. Mowe
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by D. Mowe » March 28th, 2020, 7:55 am

Fidelitas, Abeja, pepper bridge, va piano, Dunham would all be great starts and are varying price points.
Dustin
ITB

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Glas » March 28th, 2020, 8:02 am

Andrew good call
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165952
All of the wines are $15 or less if you buy a case and join the discovery club (free to join).
I assume they ship to Colorado.

Nathan Smyth

#7 Post by Nathan Smyth » March 28th, 2020, 8:34 am

Powers makes very elegant wines from Bordeaux varietals out of the Champoux vineyard [and they've got a 30%/50% special right now]:

https://shop.badgermtnvineyard.com/xe/x ... wers-wines

Covington makes inky black wines from Bordeaux varietals [and from a Parkerized point of view, their Cabernet Franc is especially impressive - it's the polar opposite of an AFWE Loire CF]:

https://covingtoncellars.com/collections/wines

Scott G r u n e r

#8 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 28th, 2020, 8:52 am

My favorite Washington cab might be Gramercy Cellars right now.
//Cynic

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jason R. » March 28th, 2020, 9:02 am

I love Cadence. Only Bordeaux blends from Red Mountain. Ben has a very restrained style that I love. And they age beautifully. I opened an 03 Tapteil a couple years back that was so fresh - easily had another 2-4 years ahead, probably longer. Very classy juice.
R o b e r t s o n

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by John Glas » March 28th, 2020, 9:04 am

My favorite Washington cab might be Gramercy Cellars right now.
Agree.
Max I would try a few of the Syrah wines also as I think you would enjoy them.

Tim D

#11 Post by Tim D » March 28th, 2020, 11:17 am

There are so many. Current favorite is Corliss. The bottle age all their wines 5 years before release. They make a Cab, Syrah and a left bank bordeaux blend. They used to bottle a Cab Franc that was delicious, now it all goes into to their red blend. They have a sister project Tranche. Other notables, Sleight of Hand (already mentioned), Force Majeure, Long Shadows, Mark Ryan, Gorman Winery, Leonetti, Betz (already mentioned).
D e l a n e y

GregT

#12 Post by GregT » March 28th, 2020, 11:39 am

I've been meaning to jump into Washington for a while now, but it's a tough shell to crack.
[scratch.gif]

More than say, Italy or Greece?

Go to the store. Find a wine from Washington. Buy it. If you like it, buy another from that producer/appellation/grape blend. If you don't like it, try another.

That's as useful as getting a collection of completely random names thrown at you on this board.

Washington makes wine from Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling, Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Syrah, Chardonnay, Grenache, Sauvignon Blanc, Malbec, Gewürztraminer, Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo, Aligoté, Zinfandel and many more. Some of them are hard to get. Without knowing what you like, any recommendations are going to be completely random.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Kris Patten » March 28th, 2020, 11:51 am

Gramercy
Betz
Quilceda Red
J. Bookwalter
Mullan Road
Andrew Will
Cadence
Delille
K Vintners/Substance
Seven Hills
L'Ecole

Riesling - Eroica is probably still the best example in WA
ITB

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 28th, 2020, 11:55 am

I have found the Quilceda Creek Palengat to be a very good left bank style wine. Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Cabernet Franc and in some years Petit Verdot in varying percentages based on the weather.
PlanoWino

Sean S y d n e y

#15 Post by Sean S y d n e y » March 28th, 2020, 11:58 am

GregT wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 11:39 am
I've been meaning to jump into Washington for a while now, but it's a tough shell to crack.
[scratch.gif]

More than say, Italy or Greece?

Go to the store. Find a wine from Washington. Buy it. If you like it, buy another from that producer/appellation/grape blend. If you don't like it, try another.

That's as useful as getting a collection of completely random names thrown at you on this board.

Washington makes wine from Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling, Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Syrah, Chardonnay, Grenache, Sauvignon Blanc, Malbec, Gewürztraminer, Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Tempranillo, Aligoté, Zinfandel and many more. Some of them are hard to get. Without knowing what you like, any recommendations are going to be completely random.
This response is...weirdly aggro?

I think the established names of Italy & Greece - much less Bordeaux - are probably better known and have more of a track record than a relatively new region like Washington State where many, myself included, don't have access or experience to a lot of the wine coming out of there and may not know who the topflight labels are. I, for one, thank the people who are more knowledgeable than I am who have listed good producers here to check out.

I don't think recommendations are going to be random if they're given by experienced drinkers. Moreover, he specifically asked about BORDEAUX BLENDS AND RIESLING so I'm not really sure why you listed all the other grapes that happen to grow there which, if we're talking about utility and randomness, is of questionable value.

I know we're all on edge at the moment but a little more kindness and a little less patronizing is what's called for at the moment.

GregT

#16 Post by GregT » March 28th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I don't think recommendations are going to be random if they're given by experienced drinkers.
Of course they will. You can look at any list of wineries in WA and come up with all of the names that have been and that will be mentioned on this thread. You already have Grammercy, Quilceda Creek, Seven Hills, Betz.

What's the difference between them?

Well, Grammercy is known mostly for Syrah and Rhone grapes, although they do indeed put out Cab and Sangiovese as well. But if you're looking at them, why not go with what they're really passionate about? Quilceda Creek is oaky, uber-ripe, sweet, and to my palate, similar to something like Caymus. It just costs more. Seven Hills may be the value pick of this little group, as even their higher-end wines aren't ridiculously expensive. They're also pretty straight down the middle, not super oaky or super ripe. Betz is probably the most reminiscent of a well-done CA Cab, balanced, clean, ripe without being overdone, and priced somewhat less than you'd pay for the equivalent in CA.

And nobody yet mentioned Cadence or Andrew Will, which surely are among some of the most Bordeaux-like wines out of WA. Eventually someone will mention Leonetti, Dunham, Woodward Canyon, Long Shadows, Januik, Novelty Hill, DeLille, L’Ecole No 41, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Charles Smith, Buty, Hedges, Cayuse, Bookwalter, Robert Karl, Barrister, Arbor Crest, Claar or a dozen others. And Foxy Roxy - their Vixen Red is a Bordeaux blend.

So you end up with a random list of names that people name as their favorites. All at different price points and styles. I could give my impression of each of those as well as some others, but without any idea of what the OP likes, wants, or knows, what is the point, other than to create a list of wineries? And what would that list be other than something random?

Thus, my advice is to simply try some. And to branch out in case he doesn't like what he finds.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

M a x S w o m l e y

#17 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 28th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Thanks for all the responses - they are much appreciated! I'm going to start working my way through this list as soon as I can and hopefully narrow it down some.
GregT wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 1:11 pm
I don't think recommendations are going to be random if they're given by experienced drinkers.
Thus, my advice is to simply try some. And to branch out in case he doesn't like what he finds.
I guess I just like getting recommendations from random people on the internet that I don't feel has an ulterior motive for telling me to check out a certain producer other than that he likes them. The pro reviews don't feel that way, and the decent retail shops in my area don't have a lot of WA wine for some reason. And of course I'll sample and branch out as I move down the line.

Scott G r u n e r

#18 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 28th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Greg, you are correct that Gramercy mostly makes Rhône style, but their cab work is not to be overlooked, and stylistically my cup o tea.

Also not to be pedantic (or actually quite the opposite 😉 ) Kris did mention both Andrew Will and Cadence, as well as Jason R. Both are good call outs as they are both stylistically not the jam and oak bombs that a lot of WA wines tend to be.
//Cynic

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Ron Slye » March 28th, 2020, 5:04 pm

If you like more old style Bordeaux blends, then my newish good discovery is JB Neufeld. I would UN that same vein “third” the recommendation of cadence and Andrew will. A lot of the others mentioned above are great.

Riesling is a tough one. I am not an expert but except for eroica the only other I think worth mentioning gun is Poets Leap. I tend to prefer Oregon and German Riesling. And okanagan fro lm Canada (in fact they have produced some of the best Riesling I have had in a while).

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by PeterH » March 28th, 2020, 5:49 pm

An outlier, so to speak, is the Savage Grace Underwood Mountain Riesling, from the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge.

I'd say "stretch the boundaries" and include Willamette Valley Riesling- Brooks, Ovum, Paetra (they have an outstanding offer posted here), and Trisaetum are ones to seek out.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Mike Evans » March 28th, 2020, 9:35 pm

There’s an offer in the Quarantine forum: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=168196.

Bob Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Bob Davis » March 29th, 2020, 8:42 am

Long Shadow. They make various blends by noted winemakers plus a Reisling.

Jason R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jason R. » March 29th, 2020, 9:26 am

Max, as you can see from the responses, there's a lot of great wines in WA state. Probably an important question for you is what style of wines you currently enjoy. As Greg pointed out, there is a lot of stylistic variation in the recommendations here. As my palate has changed, some WA wines I enjoyed in the past are harder for me to enjoy now that I am preferring higher acid, mineral-driven wines. This is clearly not a reflection of a lack of 'quality' in wines the wines. Like QC - I can appreciate that it is great for what it is - but at my last big professional tasting, I didn't go back for a second pour :)

But if you're simply looking to taste a range of wines from quality producers, then this thread (or Kris' list) is a great way to assay some great wines across a range of styles.
R o b e r t s o n

M a x S w o m l e y

#24 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 29th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Jason R. wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 9:26 am
Probably an important question for you is what style of wines you currently enjoy.
You know, I've been drinking wine for 3-4 years and somewhat more seriously the last 1-2 years. I know I love Brane Cantenac and Heredia Rose, but I also know I love port, riesling, and a ton of other stuff I haven't jumped into. I'm definitely still figuring things out, but it looks like I've got a great starting point here!

JLee

#25 Post by JLee » March 29th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Sean S y d n e y wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 11:58 am

This response is...weirdly aggro??
. . .
Welcome to the board Sean :P.
J a m e s

M a x S w o m l e y

#26 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 29th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 8:34 am
Powers makes very elegant wines from Bordeaux varietals out of the Champoux vineyard [and they've got a 30%/50% special right now]:
I just happened to be looking at a retailer I buy from pretty regularly and noticed the Powers Sheridan Reserve Cab for sale at half the price (for the current release) as what the vineyard sells it for. Is it normal to see something like this?

Brian Glas

#27 Post by Brian Glas » March 29th, 2020, 6:45 pm

I like the Lobo Hills wines. Prices are very reasonable and the wines are excellent. Diana and Tony Dollar are some of the nicest people in the industry.

https://www.lobohills.com/

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Chuck Miller » March 29th, 2020, 10:55 pm

For my money, the best maker and blender of Bordeaux varietals in the state is Chris Camarda at Andrew Will, and his son, Will Camarda.
Chuck Miller

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Glas » March 30th, 2020, 7:37 am

For my money, the best maker and blender of Bordeaux varietals in the state is Chris Camarda at Andrew Will, and his son, Will Camarda.
Agree. Their base bottles are very approachable now.
The 2014 & 2016 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley) were both super approachable early and performed well over 3 days.

Chuck what do you guys pay for the Columbia Valley Cab in Washington? I thought Minneapolis had a good deal on sale as I paid $27 with tax.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by John Glas » March 30th, 2020, 7:46 am

I have seen recent vintages around $14. Seems like price has gone down on this wine. Very good stuff for the money.

Eric W
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Eric W » March 30th, 2020, 5:26 pm

* Like Ron, for Riesling I generally prefer OR vs. WA. And I often prefer German Riesling to both, which is not to say that both OR + WA aren't worth trying to assess for yourself.

* For WA Bordeaux-style blends, most of the names I'd contribute have been covered, including Leonetti, Betz, Cadence, Gramercy, Andrew Will, and Long Shadows. Figgins (same winemaker as Leonetti) and Rasa also have some nice wines on the higher end of the WA price spectrum, though less than Leonetti and Quilceda Creek. (Quilceda Creek also offers their lower-priced "CVR" Cab-based blend which is generally around $45-$55.)
E _ W i 1 s o n

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by John Glas » March 31st, 2020, 7:01 am

* Like Ron, for Riesling I generally prefer OR vs. WA. And I often prefer German Riesling to both, which is not to say that both OR + WA aren't worth trying to assess for yourself.
Agree on the Riesling front with Germany. Still in my opinion the best value for wine in the world on a regular basis.

M a x S w o m l e y

#33 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 31st, 2020, 8:26 am

John Glas wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 7:01 am
Agree on the Riesling front with Germany. Still in my opinion the best value for wine in the world on a regular basis.
I may stick to red in WA then for the time being. I love German riesling and I feel like there's a whole world to explore there that I've barely touched.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Brandon R » March 31st, 2020, 8:52 am

I've never had it, but Sean Sullivan recently wrote, about the 2018 Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling Columbia Valley:

What more can I say about the Ste Michelle Dry Riesling that I haven’t said before? This is quite simply the best wine value in the United States. Period. Better still, you can find it at your grocery store while you’re stocking up (not hoarding people!) on toilet paper. 2018 is one of the best vintages ever. Only seeing the 2017 or 2016? Don't worry. They are supremely delicious too.

The aromas are perfumed, with appealing notes of flower, lime leaf, orange peel and white peach. Bone-dry, mouthwatering stone fruit flavors follow, showing spot-on balance and a lingering finish. It’s a complete delight. 91 points. Best Buy, $9
B. Redman

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Doug Schulman » March 31st, 2020, 9:01 am

Kris Patten wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 11:51 am
Gramercy
Betz
Quilceda Red
J. Bookwalter
Mullan Road
Andrew Will
Cadence
Delille
K Vintners/Substance
Seven Hills
L'Ecole

This list is great. There are some different styles here, as there should be when you're looking to explore.

GregT

#36 Post by GregT » March 31st, 2020, 3:03 pm

Brandon R wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:52 am
I've never had it, but Sean Sullivan recently wrote, about the 2018 Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling Columbia Valley:

What more can I say about the Ste Michelle Dry Riesling that I haven’t said before? This is quite simply the best wine value in the United States. Period. Better still, you can find it at your grocery store while you’re stocking up (not hoarding people!) on toilet paper. 2018 is one of the best vintages ever. Only seeing the 2017 or 2016? Don't worry. They are supremely delicious too.

The aromas are perfumed, with appealing notes of flower, lime leaf, orange peel and white peach. Bone-dry, mouthwatering stone fruit flavors follow, showing spot-on balance and a lingering finish. It’s a complete delight. 91 points. Best Buy, $9
They're consistently one of the best producers in the US for the volume they turn out. Parker used to love them too. It's easy to turn out huge quantities of plonk, but they turn out quantities of very solid wine. Their entire Ethos line in particular merits some consideration, as does the top tier of their Columbia Crest.
G . T a t a r

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Doug Schulman » March 31st, 2020, 3:53 pm

M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:26 am

I may stick to red in WA then for the time being. I love German riesling and I feel like there's a whole world to explore there that I've barely touched.
That’s a really good idea.

Bryan Carr

#38 Post by Bryan Carr » March 31st, 2020, 6:21 pm

Sort of controversial opinion, I don't think there's a single white wine in WA worth drinking for the money*. There's a lot of great red wine in the state to suit most palates, but I think the whites are a really tough sell for me. Oregon Chardonnay and Riesling crush WA whites up and down the price spectrum.

That said, try some, you and I might have completely different preferences.

For reds, what kind of non-WA reds do you like? There's all kinds of variety here, I think BDX varieties and Syrah are what we do best, as others have mentioned, but there's a TON of stylistic variety.
I think the claim that Quilceda is "sweet like Caymus" is way off base, I've drank a ton of WA wine and most of it is too sweet for me these days and Quilceda is probably in the bottom 50% of the extraction/RS/megapurple spectrum. It's just VERY structured and is an un-fun wall of tannin on release.
I'm always evangelizing Cadence, so I'll 2nd (or 3rd) them, Ben makes beautifully restrained wines that seem to age forever, they're killer for the money.
K Vintners has changed style in the past 4 or 5 vintages and now they're making wonderfully savory and ethereal, almost Sonoma-coast pinot-like Syrahs that are delicious throughout the range. They age decently but I kind of prefer them right on release when they're really bright and primary.
Baer is affordable and makes reliably not over the top bordeaux varietal wines.
Leonetti Merlot is considered the benchmark for WA merlot, I don't love merlot but some of the more restrained producers make kickass merlot in WA. I think in WA merlot has its own character, dusty fruit and good structure, it's very different from CA merlot.
Reynvaan is sort of like higher-acid, more affordable Cayuse. Technically mailing list only, they're easily findable on the secondary market, try them out if you want to experience the full-on Rocks funk without going all they way to Cayuse money.
Everyone seems to love Gramercy, but I don't care for it, so if you try it and don't think its great, you're not alone.
Betz is classic, it's about as big of a wine as I can get down with these days, and it ages really well.
Andrew Will kicks ass too.
You can't do better than Fidelitas if you like a lot of spendy oak and complex fruit up front, it mellows eventually, but on release if you like big wines it tastes expensive, complex, and has a great structure to support its weight. It's not really my style anymore but every time I have it I think "well this is about as good as this style of wine gets for my money".
I will n'th that Chateau Ste Michelle wines are excellent for the price, the stuff at that price point I'm drinking these days are usually light chuggable eurotrash, but man, I don't think you can buy a better domestic Cab or Merlot for even twice the price.
Buy Two Vintners "Some Days are Stones" and "Some Days are Diamonds", you (probably) won't be sorry.

*Reynvaan's whites are complex af and I would consider them singular and very enjoyable, but they're $60+, for the same money you can get condrieu or some white burgundy...
CT: the_lovenest

Ryan Gilmour
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Ryan Gilmour » March 31st, 2020, 6:47 pm

Lots of great info from Bryan there, I would add Travis' Kobayashi Viognier and Delmas' Viognier to the list of whites that are "complex af" and worth the $60 price tag in my humble opinion.

GregT

#40 Post by GregT » March 31st, 2020, 7:40 pm

First time I had a QC I was given a glass blind and asked what I thought of it. I said it seemed like a too-expensive, overly woody, overly sweet Napa Cab. Not good. I have a few. Every time I've opened one I've felt pretty much the same. Never felt that they were particularly structured or tannic when compared with some of the other WA wines or CA wines that I'd buy. And if I recall, they pretty much all come in at over 15%, which is pretty ripe for Cab/Merlots. They were Parker faves and that's not a knock in my book, but they did fit the sterotype of wines he likes. Not saying that side by side it would be hard to distinguish between Caymus and QC, but they're both in the large category of sweeter wine that I'd pass on with softer tannins, uber ripe fruit, and lavish oak.
G . T a t a r

Travis @llen

#41 Post by Travis @llen » March 31st, 2020, 8:03 pm

In addition to the suggestions above, I would suggest BDX varietals made by Avennia and Force Majeure. For Riesling, poets leap by long shadows is good, and possibly the best white wine I’ve ever tasted out of Washington was a barrel sample of Devium Riesling From Lewis Peak that I think was picked under pH of 3 and had insane aromatics and energy. can’t wait to try the bottled version.
ITB - Kobayashi Winery

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Kris Patten » March 31st, 2020, 8:18 pm

Travis @llen wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 8:03 pm
In addition to the suggestions above, I would suggest BDX varietals made by Avennia and Force Majeure. For Riesling, poets leap by long shadows is good, and possibly the best white wine I’ve ever tasted out of Washington was a barrel sample of Devium Riesling From Lewis Peak that I think was picked under pH of 3 and had insane aromatics and energy. can’t wait to try the bottled version.
Haven't had Poet's Leap in a few years, but early on it was a bit one note as the acid and RS were off, so it had what I always refer to as the WA graham cracker flavor profile in Riesling I am not a fan of.

I would say if you're looking for Riesling, Evergreen Vineyard sourcing is a good start.
ITB

Brian Glas

#43 Post by Brian Glas » March 31st, 2020, 8:42 pm

Bryan Carr wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 6:21 pm
Buy Two Vintners "Some Days are Stones" and "Some Days are Diamonds", you (probably) won't be sorry.
Agreed. Those wines are always great and good values too.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Doug Schulman » April 1st, 2020, 5:36 am

GregT wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 7:40 pm
First time I had a QC I was given a glass blind and asked what I thought of it. I said it seemed like a too-expensive, overly woody, overly sweet Napa Cab. Not good. I have a few. Every time I've opened one I've felt pretty much the same. Never felt that they were particularly structured or tannic when compared with some of the other WA wines or CA wines that I'd buy. And if I recall, they pretty much all come in at over 15%, which is pretty ripe for Cab/Merlots. They were Parker faves and that's not a knock in my book, but they did fit the sterotype of wines he likes. Not saying that side by side it would be hard to distinguish between Caymus and QC, but they're both in the large category of sweeter wine that I'd pass on with softer tannins, uber ripe fruit, and lavish oak.
I agree. I tasted a recent release blind a few months ago and our whole group had exactly the same impression.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by John Glas » April 1st, 2020, 8:05 am

Agree. When I first got into wine I enjoyed them but once I started drinking Bordeaux did not enjoy them. For the price of one QC I can get 3 nice Andrew Will wines or almost a case of the Davenport Wines!

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Brandon R » April 1st, 2020, 8:24 am

Touting (and then trashing) Quilceda Creek as the benchmark Cab in Washington is so 2008. There is so much more interesting and quality Cab (and other Bordeaux varieties) coming out of Washington (most of which are mentioned above) that I would hope we could all move on from that broken record.
B. Redman

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by John Glas » April 1st, 2020, 8:43 am

Touting (and then trashing) Quilceda Creek as the benchmark Cab in Washington is so 2008. There is so much more interesting and quality Cab (and other Bordeaux varieties) coming out of Washington (most of which are mentioned above) that I would hope we could all move on from that broken record.
The original post was asking about Washington State Wines. How is saying I don't like the style trashing them? It is good for the original poster to know that QC are going to be bigger style wines. I hear people all the time say I love the Prisoner. I simply ask them to smell the wine and move it around in their mouth. After they do that most don't like the wine.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Brandon R » April 1st, 2020, 10:24 am

That's fair, John. My post wasn't so much a reaction to your post as it was to Greg's. I just wish that WA State Cabs could somehow be disassociated from QC. Their style and price point are more and more an outlier in the state and I believe the true representation of WA is to be found in other wines/wineries.
B. Redman

Christopher Barnes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#49 Post by Christopher Barnes » April 1st, 2020, 12:09 pm

Hey there, We are offering a six pack of Washington wines including a Bordeaux blend in the Quarantine Forum: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=168174 (Offer #3)

The Claret is a field blend/cofermentation of Cab Sauv, Petit Verdot, Merlot, Malbec (~equal parts).

Chris
Chris Barnes
Winemaker, Farmer, Owner
Chris James Cellars, Willamette Valley (Carlton, Oregon)

Steve Costigan

#50 Post by Steve Costigan » April 2nd, 2020, 7:56 pm

A friend has done several blind tastings of WA cabs at 10 years post-vintage, different vintages, with about 10 wines each time, including the top wines by reputation, including Quilceda Creek and Leonetti. The winner each time, per my notes and average group ratings, was the Longshadows Pirouette, which was really singing. Tells me if you drink your cab with about that much age, you can’t go wrong with the Pirouette.

I’d wish I enjoyed WA riesling more than I do since they make so much of it. Not much to get excited about including the Eroica. Most WA riesling seems to lack enough acidity. The two best that I’ve had are Sleight of Hand and Trust and both are a bargain.

Return to “Wine Talk”