26 Short and Probably Useless TN's From Recent Bottles Consumed

We’ve been hunkering down, like most, and that has allowed me to get some thoughts together on several recent bottles that have been popped over the past ~2 months or so. There’s no real rhyme or reason here, just the random smorgasbord of bottles pulled from the cellar.

2017 Outpost Zinfandel - I was really impressed with this one…it is certainly big, and has a large oak presence in the form of a vanilla/chocolate milkshake note (especially prominent for the first few hours), but that settles down and integrates nicely in time to showcase more of the brambly mountain fruit and structure all buttressed nicely by its acidity. A win and scratches a certain itch when needed.

2006 Arcadian Dierberg Chardonnay - Sad to finish off my last bottle of what is for me an iconic wine from both Arcadian and for my own personal drinking experience. Always plump but always carrying that weight perfectly with the acid and structure making this one feel like it has grand cru depth. Lemons and pineapples and my 3-year old son says bananas (I think he’s right) and a hint of coconut. Great persistence and this bottle was fresh as could be meaning I think there could be upside with more bottle age.

2010 Nicolas Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Les Roncerets - nice volnay here and a reminder of how much I love 2010 Burgundies (this was the first '10 I’ve had in quite a bit of time). Love the plush fruit feel that 2010 brings along with the structure and the cheeky good volnay strawberry notes.

2005 William Selyem Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - drank alongside the 2006 Lafarge Chateau des Ducs. Redder color and murkier than the Ducster, with a fresh, ripe red cherry nose and palate with a bit of pine-spice and earth notes on the finish. A touch sweet, but not cloying or over the top, showing a slight bit of fruit roll-up. Seemingly at its apogee and I don’t see further positive development ahead, so it seems I caught it at the right time. Speaks very much of its appellation. I feel like after having the few WS pinots that I’ve had now, I should be a buyer.

2006 Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos du Chateau des Ducs - drank alongside a 2005 Williams Selyem Sonoma Coast. This, by comparison, was darker in color and a less murky. Cool, dark fruit tones…My daughter says “raspberry and cookie dough” which I totally got. There was also a minty note, almost toothpaste like that I see I referenced as menthol in my last bottle. Loads more backbone and structure than the WS, which is starting to turn velvety with bottle age. There’s certainly fruit to be found in this bottle, but I think it is hiding right now as with most of my recent '06s.

2009 Copain Kaiser “En Bas” Pinot Noir - Popped to watch Bottle Shock and Sour Grapes at home. Pours a darker color. The nose is all clay, soil and blue fruits. Super juicy on the palate with bright acidity and those blue fruit notes again. Perhaps a touch firm still. My biggest nit is with how murky the finish feels (almost silty/clay taste).

2010 Jean Marc Morey Chassagne Montrachet Les Caillerets - Pox’ed. Baked apples and oxidative notes ruined what sensed like a nice Chardonnay underneath.

2008 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Chardonnay – Pox’ed. Anyone else having problems with these? This was my first shot 2008 (I’ve had more variability with the 2007’s).

2011 Pierre Yves Colin Morey Meursault Les Narvaux - Wow, best 2011 I have perhaps had yet…laser focus, cut and depth of fruit with a solid dose of meursault butter/knife blade notes.

2010 Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir – these have previously held up well, and I think the ‘10s are the best rendition of this wine to my palate, but this bottle felt like it was starting its decline…drink up

2015 Carlisle Rosella’s Vineyard Syrah - Drank recently and this was good. While I could detect the typical vineyard grapefruit trait, it wasn’t overt. Earthy, fresh and a nice food/cocktail wine.

2003 Arcadian Francesca’s Pinot Noir - Super delicious. Perfectly on point and no need for more age…these Francesca’s wines are consistently stunning for my palate.

2007 Rivers Marie Cabernet Sauvignon – delicious chocolate and cocoa notes. This bottle felt at maturity so no shame with gripping and ripping bottles now. I have one left and do not plan to sit on it too much longer.

2001 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee - Delicious cider apples, delicate yet suave mousse and a great lengthy finish. Shared with family on a recent trip to Tahoe just before the “shelter in place” mandates took effect, and everyone raved about this one. Loved this.

2011 Henri Boillot Corton Charlemagne – It turns out that I’ve generally loathed 2011 whites (and reds) and, unfortunately, I have more 2011’s than I’d like to admit. This bottle was light and lacking gravitas, which I find typical of the vintage. Glad to free the cellar space.

2001 Louis Jadot Clos St. Jacques – Drank at the last dinner out with the wife just before COVID-19 weirdness took hold. This rocked right from the get go. Sturdy still and no rush on these….this just kept gaining and gaining in depth and deliciousness the entire time it was open.

2004 Philipponnat Brut Clos des Goisses - Bang! Drank at home when "Sheltering in place’ became “a thing” in our house. Figured it was time to pop something nice in case Armageddon was upon us. Nice, full and powerful champagne as I have come to expect from the house. The 2004 vintage seems to lack a bit of gravitas and depth of fruit, but this was still a nice drink and held up well over 24+ hours open.

2006 Rivers Marie Occidental Ridge Pinot Noir - This is quite nice, actually, and still fresh. Graham cracker and dark berry nose. Firm acids and a well-balanced sense of tension on palate. Nice, somewhat lengthy finish and a hint of soy/balsamic finish hinting at the developed tertiary flavors just lurking in the background. I enjoyed this one

2011 Vincent Dauvissat Les Clos - This again reinforces my love for Les Clos but still validates the weak vintage. Good, not great wine, from a lovely vineyard. Lemons, a hint of green, seashells and ocean air notes.

2010 Robert Arnoux / Arnoux-Lachaux Vosne Romanee - This 375ml bottle was in a perfect spot, giving tertiary flavors of autumn leaves and mushrooms behind a foreground of dark red and black fruit. Very viable. Humble but tasty.

NV Vilmart Premier Cru Cuvee Rubis - Now this is something…really, really nice. Big fruit and nice acidity in keeping with the house style. From a lot purchased in 2018.

2005 Arcadian Fiddlestix Pinot Noir - drank from 375ml bottle and this was in a good spot…mature and probably not going to get any better with more sideways time in this format. These half bottles are fun.

2010 Barthod Bourgogne Les Bons Batons - Yup - this was a killer bourgogne…2010’s rule and I really should be hanging on to anything 2010 a bit longer to let the fruit keep developing…but that is so hard when the wines show so well like this bottle did. Bright red cherries, great depth and complexity for a bourgogne and utterly poundable. Tasty.

2009 Denis Bachelet Cote de Nuits Villages - these CDN’s rule…always a great drink and never too serious, but always complex enough to keep things interesting. Same thoughts here, with the 09 fruit on display but with the requisite house styled structure in the background.

2005 Arcadian Westerly Syrah - paired with a grilled flank steak and chimichurri sauce. Seemingly at peak and a great drink…delicious red fruit, acidity and in a sweet spot with still fresh fruit, but with the palate feeling fully “unfurled.” No tired aspects here on this humble 15-year old syrah.

2005 Chateau Bellefont Belcier – I don’t drink a lot of Bordeaux, but this was quite nice and possessing many of the notes I enjoy so much (pencil shavings, lead, black fruit/cassis). This was pleasant and I’ll be in no rush on my last remaining bottle…this was a walk down memory lane for me as I remember buying these with my close friend as we were just getting rolling on our wine odyssey together. I love the little gems in the cellar from the early buying days, as they’re almost like a mixed potpourri of experiences.

'01 Coeur de Cuvee is still my benchmark for that wine, and one of my benchmarks for Champagne in general. What an amazing wine, not even considering how difficult the vintage was. I had my last one a few years ago. Glad to see yours still showing so well.

I’m a bit surprised about the '11 Boillot CC, but I don’t know the vintage very well for whites.

Vilmart Rubis NV has to be one of the great NV Rosé Champagnes (especially without spending Krug money).

I was thinking about how much this group of wines shows your preferences, and then I was surprised to see a Bordeaux at the end. I chuckled as soon as I saw “I don’t drink a lot of Bordeaux”.

Dang! An '06 Dierberg Chardonnay from Arcadian?!? I only ever tried that one once. I have not had issues with the '08 Sleepy Chard., Rick; my most recent bottle was this past November — incredibly rich, but not pox’d. A year ago I, too, thought the '05 Fiddlestix Pinot was likely in its prime drink window out of 375mL; alas, I only have a couple 750’s remaining, and I bet those still need time.

Fun how a wine can bring back happy memories!

It certainly is one of the many joys of this hobby, isn’t it Markus?

Doug - that '01 Coeur de Cuvee was something else. I have one more bottle and am thinking I’ll hold for another few years, though it is going to be quite difficult to keep my hands off of it. I also agree on the Cuvee Rubis…in fact, I feel that way about the entire Vilmart lineup and keep finding myself really digging the house style.

Brian - thanks for the sanity check on the 2008 Sleepy Chard. Those have been great wines for me in the past, so I’ll chalk this one up as a one-off.

I have had a ton of issues with pox’ed 07 Sleep Hollow Chardonnay’s over the last 6 months. I have opened 7 bottles and all were Pox’ed but 1. I hope the 08’s aren’t going down the same road. I talked to a fellow berserker (that is a fan/collector of Arcadian) about the 07’s and he has had the same issues. I tried to reach out to Joe, but unfortenately I did not get a response. Hopefully it was an isolated issue with the 07’s.

any idea of how long the 07 s were in barrel? I know he did some extended barrel aging with wines sometime in a 5-year span around then and wondering if 07 or 08 might have been the years?

I remember Joe doing some extended barrel aging. I vaguely remember it being around the 07/08 vintages, but I’m not sure about that.