TN: 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

• 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (3/26/2020)
    Right off the truck…WOW…totally Provence! Quickly reminded me of the Commanderie de la Bargemone Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence Rosé…very light cantaloup, peach color…wonderful fresh nose of peach blossom, dried apple rings, spring flowers, cherry candy wax bottles. SO refreshing with killer citrus acidity and crushed rock minerality…reminds me of a very young Chablis in how piercing and intense they are on release…but this has more of a calming cream that balances it out nicely…like eating a bowl full of tart peaches-n-cream. Florals are SO pretty…seamless with zero alc heat…truly a glass full of sunshine here! Love this! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I just opened a 2019 Tercero Mourvedre Rose tonight. My wife, who doesn’t like anything that isn’t riesling, exclaimed “this is tasty!”. Looking forward to trying the cinsault rose next :slight_smile:

Thanks for the 2019 Tercero Rose reports. I am glad that I doubled my BD order when given the chance last week.

Mine is on the way

I was planning to open one later tonight, but Buzz’s note sounded too good that I just couldn’t wait.

• 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (3/26/2020)
    Larry at Tercero makes the best Rosé in the game. Been saying it for years, so I was extremely excited to try his Cinsault Rosé.

The nose is gorgeous and elegant, reminding me of his classic Mourvèdre Rosé that I love so much. Peaches, ocean breeze, bright high toned cherries, sweet oranges, and oroblanco. On the palate, you’re met with this intense acidity with sour tropical notes. Pucker up buttercup, this is delicious stuff, and like all of Tercero’s Roses, this is sure to age nicely. Can’t wait to see how the remaining bottles perform down the line. Extremely excited for the 2019s! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great note CC…I wish I could age some of these out…but they’re SO damn good now that within a year they are toast! [drinkers.gif]

Buzz and Curtis,

Thanks for your early reviews of this new release - one of two different roses I just bottled and started shipping a few weeks back. I’m excited to read the early takes on this wine, and know that it will only get better with more time in bottle. I would suggest starting it cold and then letting it settle closer to cellar temperature to truly show off the aromatics - and see if you can save some for Day 2 as well.

This is my first take on a Cinsault Rose, though I have been working with Cinsault now for 6 vintages. I really dig this variety - and how different it is than all other varieties that I work with. Each cluster is as large as 3-5 clusters of my Larner Vineyard Syrah, for instance - they are HUGE - and the variety is just so elegant and aromatically powerful!

I know that you both have tried my 2016 Cinsault - but if you have not recently, give one a shot - it is truly singing with more bottle aging.

Thanks again the two of you - and to others who have purchased and supported my efforts. I truly appreciate it and don’t take it for granted . . .

Cheers!

Next day little creamier…everything is more nuanced…salty crushed minerality which I’m totally diggin! Insane crisp brightness…rose water and tangerine sours on the finish. Got yourself a winner here Larry! [thumbs-up.gif]

Just received my split case yesterday! Looking forward to trying these!

I think year in and year out Larry simply kills it with his rose. One of the best in Cali! Great job and will stock up soon.

I loved this as well! The broad rich texture reminded me of a Muscadet with extended aging on the lees - I wasn’t expecting this at all given the palest color. I think I have a new favorite Tercero :wink:

Got my shipment today. Pobegaed the Cinsault. I think you nailed it. Had traditional flavors of watermelon and strawberry, but had another layer I couldn’t quite describe. Had some citrus like grapefruit, but not quite. Your tangerine nails it. Delicious. Picked up Thai; great match!

Couldn’t help myself. Popped the 2019 Mouvedre Rose. Actually opened it last night and saved a glass for today. The big difference in these two wines is the Mouvedre seems more crisp and tart. Almost a Sav Blanc aspect to it. Very nice wine.

They’re both great wines, but I think, if forced to pick, I like the Cinsault better.

Good job on both wines. Delicious.

Paul,

Thanks for taking one for the rest of the team champagne.gif [snort.gif] flirtysmile

At this stage, I love the aromatics of the 2019 Mourvedre Rose but still feel it is a bit ‘rougher around the edges’ compared to the Cinsault Rose. I’m excited about where it’s at now and feel that it will blossom into something really special with a little bottle age (heck, it’s not even been in bottle for a month yet!!!).
Was your impression on Day 2 much different than Day 1? I’ve had two bottles, and I dug the texture on Day 2 more than Day 1 - and this is also at cellar temperature rather than being really cold.

Cheers

So happens I just had a bottle of this over the last two nights. After being reticent for a few minutes, it really explodes with a wash of bright orange and lemon, and a juicy acidic finish. The nose is less expressive, more herbal, but the wine is really tasty.

I did wonder, if I had drunk this blindfolded, if I’d think it white, rose or red. The nose leads red, but the palate is more rose or white.

Very nice wine overall, and, as is customary for Tercero, exceptional value.

11.5% alcohol, by the way.

The actual alcohol level is 10.8% - I didn’t put that on the label because I didn’t think anyone would believe me champagne.gif [snort.gif] [wow.gif]

Cheers

Hi Larry,

I got my mixed 6 last week. Thanks again for the BD offer.

Question - at what temperature range do you like to drink your rose?

Thanks for the message - and the support [snort.gif] flirtysmile [cheers.gif]

I tend to prefer to enjoy my rose slightly chilled - perhaps 50 degrees - and then let it warm up closer to 55-60 degrees as you consume your second glass. My roses tend to be quite aromatic, and the cooler it is, the less pronounced the aromatics you’re gonna get.

All of that said, drink it the way you’d like - who am I to tell anyone what to do? newhere

Keep us posted as you drink through these please.

Cheers!

Thanks - will do!

What a wine here. Pretty florals of peach blossom and peach skin. On the palate it goes quickly between green strawberry and green melon, then washes into juicy peach, peach blossom, peach skin, and flashes of crushed rock minerality all over. A very lithe wine with a very fine acidity, it manages to fit into a dress two sizes too small but retain perfect proportion. Not a hint of alcohol. Killer stuff. Bravo, Larry!!!