TN: 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

#1 Post by B. Buzzini » March 26th, 2020, 4:11 pm

• 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (3/26/2020)
    Right off the truck...WOW...totally Provence! Quickly reminded me of the Commanderie de la Bargemone Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence Rosé...very light cantaloup, peach color...wonderful fresh nose of peach blossom, dried apple rings, spring flowers, cherry candy wax bottles. SO refreshing with killer citrus acidity and crushed rock minerality...reminds me of a very young Chablis in how piercing and intense they are on release...but this has more of a calming cream that balances it out nicely...like eating a bowl full of tart peaches-n-cream. Florals are SO pretty...seamless with zero alc heat...truly a glass full of sunshine here! Love this! (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

#2 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » March 26th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Thanks for the note. I just opened a 2019 Tercero Mourvedre Rose tonight. My wife, who doesn't like anything that isn't riesling, exclaimed "this is tasty!". Looking forward to trying the cinsault rose next :)
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

#3 Post by Carlton McCrindle » March 26th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the 2019 Tercero Rose reports. I am glad that I doubled my BD order when given the chance last week.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Paul Miller » March 26th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Mine is on the way

C Chen

#5 Post by C Chen » March 26th, 2020, 7:01 pm

I was planning to open one later tonight, but Buzz's note sounded too good that I just couldn't wait.
  • 2019 Tercero Cinsault Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (3/26/2020)
    Larry at Tercero makes the best Rosé in the game. Been saying it for years, so I was extremely excited to try his Cinsault Rosé.

The nose is gorgeous and elegant, reminding me of his classic Mourvèdre Rosé that I love so much. Peaches, ocean breeze, bright high toned cherries, sweet oranges, and oroblanco. On the palate, you're met with this intense acidity with sour tropical notes. Pucker up buttercup, this is delicious stuff, and like all of Tercero's Roses, this is sure to age nicely. Can't wait to see how the remaining bottles perform down the line. Extremely excited for the 2019s! (93 pts.)
curt1S ch3N
CT: C Chen

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by B. Buzzini » March 26th, 2020, 7:37 pm

C Chen wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 7:01 pm
I was planning to open one later tonight, but Buzz's note sounded too good that I just couldn't wait.
    Larry at Tercero makes the best Rosé in the game. Been saying it for years, so I was extremely excited to try his Cinsault Rosé.

The nose is gorgeous and elegant, reminding me of his classic Mourvèdre Rosé that I love so much. Peaches, ocean breeze, bright high toned cherries, sweet oranges, and oroblanco. On the palate, you're met with this intense acidity with sour tropical notes. Pucker up buttercup, this is delicious stuff, and like all of Tercero's Roses, this is sure to age nicely. Can't wait to see how the remaining bottles perform down the line. Extremely excited for the 2019s! (93 pts.)
Great note CC...I wish I could age some of these out...but they’re SO damn good now that within a year they are toast! [drinkers.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#7 Post by larry schaffer » March 27th, 2020, 10:47 am

Buzz and Curtis,

Thanks for your early reviews of this new release - one of two different roses I just bottled and started shipping a few weeks back. I'm excited to read the early takes on this wine, and know that it will only get better with more time in bottle. I would suggest starting it cold and then letting it settle closer to cellar temperature to truly show off the aromatics - and see if you can save some for Day 2 as well.

This is my first take on a Cinsault Rose, though I have been working with Cinsault now for 6 vintages. I really dig this variety - and how different it is than all other varieties that I work with. Each cluster is as large as 3-5 clusters of my Larner Vineyard Syrah, for instance - they are HUGE - and the variety is just so elegant and aromatically powerful!

I know that you both have tried my 2016 Cinsault - but if you have not recently, give one a shot - it is truly singing with more bottle aging.

Thanks again the two of you - and to others who have purchased and supported my efforts. I truly appreciate it and don't take it for granted . . .

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by B. Buzzini » March 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Next day little creamier...everything is more nuanced...salty crushed minerality which I’m totally diggin! Insane crisp brightness...rose water and tangerine sours on the finish. Got yourself a winner here Larry! [thumbs-up.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

vwsmaltz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by vwsmaltz » March 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Just received my split case yesterday! Looking forward to trying these!
Virgil

R. Gaston

#10 Post by R. Gaston » March 28th, 2020, 1:39 pm

I think year in and year out Larry simply kills it with his rose. One of the best in Cali! Great job and will stock up soon.
Ryan

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Vince T » March 28th, 2020, 4:01 pm

I loved this as well! The broad rich texture reminded me of a Muscadet with extended aging on the lees - I wasn’t expecting this at all given the palest color. I think I have a new favorite Tercero ;)
T s 3 n g

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Paul Miller » March 30th, 2020, 5:50 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm
Next day little creamier...everything is more nuanced...salty crushed minerality which I’m totally diggin! Insane crisp brightness...rose water and tangerine sours on the finish. Got yourself a winner here Larry! [thumbs-up.gif]
Got my shipment today. Pobegaed the Cinsault. I think you nailed it. Had traditional flavors of watermelon and strawberry, but had another layer I couldn’t quite describe. Had some citrus like grapefruit, but not quite. Your tangerine nails it. Delicious. Picked up Thai; great match!

Return to “Wine Talk”