2001 MP Integrity - Ode to an Oz Oozer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J B a s k a m
GCC Member
GCC Member

2001 MP Integrity - Ode to an Oz Oozer

#1 Post by J B a s k a m » March 26th, 2020, 2:43 pm

There are often negative views expressed regarding the big Aussie Shiraz from the 2000s. There is no doubt that balance was not a priority. However, many of the those big wines were very pleasing to me in their early years. The MPs especially, the basic Shiraz around $12 at the time and the Integrity at a much higher price, were especially pleasing. In addition, all the 2001-2004 Kilikanoon Oracles I have had from early on and including twice last year have been enjoyable. The 'dooker Velvet Glove I had a month ago was still quite pleasing, but little value for the price paid.

So today we opened the 2001 Integrity. Still dark with a dark berry nose. Some vanilla. Taste added pepper and some blueberry. Enjoyable at the start but alcohol is pronounced. Not to the level of its youth, but still enjoyable. I am glad I did not decant, and it may run out of fruit later, but for now more than drinkable. I bet it would go well with something slow cooked and spicy. The '01 was great at release, really good in '09, good in '14 and still enjoyable in 2020. This ain't a Grange!

I will report back if anything dramatically good or bad develops from the remainder of the bottle.

I have one 2002 that I will open in a few days.
- John

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2001 MP Integrity - Ode to an Oz Oozer

#2 Post by Chris Seiber » March 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm

I had a 2002 a couple of weeks ago. I hope yours is a lot better than the one I had.

viewtopic.php?p=2936971#p2936971

I will note that my friend had it in a decanter for some unknown amount of time before I arrived - I don't know if it would have been better just right out of the bottle, as you experienced with your 2001.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by John Glas » March 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I always enjoyed the Velvet Glove wines a few years after release. Usually if it got 98 or more from Parker best to drink right away.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Chris Seiber » March 26th, 2020, 4:43 pm

John Glas wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 3:34 pm
I always enjoyed the Velvet Glove wines a few years after release. Usually if it got 98 or more from Parker best to drink right away.
A friend poured me an early 2000s Velvet Glove a year or two ago. It was still drinking decently, in its ultraripe lush style. I'm guessing it wasn't as enjoyable as when it was younger (it didn't seem like a wine you'd spend more than $30-40 on today, even if you're a fan of the style), but it hadn't fallen apart into a mess like the 02 Integrity I had last week, either.

J B a s k a m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by J B a s k a m » March 26th, 2020, 4:58 pm

A follow-up: the fruit is fading. Feels a little hotter. Recommendation: Anyone who has a bottle of this should not decant and should imbibe in just one evening.

Chris - I am hoping my '02 will show better than what you experienced, but I suspect it won't.
- John

Return to “Wine Talk”