Restaurants selling wine carry-out at great prices...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Restaurants selling wine carry-out at great prices...

#101 Post by AD Northup » April 9th, 2020, 12:50 pm

03 Rayas at $363 a pop
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

KC Cormack

#102 Post by KC Cormack » April 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Brand new here. I've been following this thread and found a local restaurant selling their wine list at 50% off. They had a 2013 Roumier Clos de la Bussiere 1er Cru for $100, I got the last two bottles. Hopefully that's a decent deal!

jason stein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by jason stein » April 9th, 2020, 2:15 pm

KC Cormack wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm
Brand new here. I've been following this thread and found a local restaurant selling their wine list at 50% off. They had a 2013 Roumier Clos de la Bussiere 1er Cru for $100, I got the last two bottles. Hopefully that's a decent deal!
Where might you be located, and what might this restaurant be?
flirtysmile

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by TGigante » April 9th, 2020, 2:44 pm

KC Cormack wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm
That’s a good deal
I paid $130 a few years back at retail
Current releases are about $180 with the recent burgundy price creeping of the last few years
Cheers,
Tony

KC Cormack

#105 Post by KC Cormack » April 9th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Sorry, I need to fill out my profile more. I'm in San Francisco and the restaurant is a great Indian place called Besharam.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Kris Patten » April 10th, 2020, 8:30 am

AD Northup wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 12:50 pm
03 Rayas at $363 a pop
Versus current retail that is a good deal, but versus what they paid for it the restaurant still did fine....we were wholesaling that for $80 back then, although they have been carrying inventory on if for about 12 years.
ITB

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by AD Northup » April 10th, 2020, 8:34 am

Kris Patten wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 8:30 am
AD Northup wrote:
03 Rayas at $363 a pop
Versus current retail that is a good deal, but versus what they paid for it the restaurant still did fine....we were wholesaling that for $80 back then, although they have been carrying inventory on if for about 12 years.
Yeah, that’s the tricky part on that one, but either way cheaper than I can get it anywhere now (and was still in college/not old enough to buy it legally when it was released).

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Kris Patten » April 10th, 2020, 8:36 am

AD Northup wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 8:34 am
Kris Patten wrote:
AD Northup wrote:
03 Rayas at $363 a pop
Yeah, that’s the tricky part on that one, but either way cheaper than I can get it anywhere now (and was still in college/not old enough to buy it legally when it was released).
Nice. You have to buy them when you see them. So far I have missed 2000 Bonneau and 1990 Lunch Bages for $195 each by waiting.
ITB

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by AD Northup » April 10th, 2020, 8:43 am

Kris Patten wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 8:36 am
AD Northup wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 8:34 am
Kris Patten wrote:

Nice. You have to buy them when you see them. So far I have missed 2000 Bonneau and 1990 Lunch Bages for $195 each by waiting.
Tried for 06 Chave Hermitage for a little over 200 but the restaurants inventory system didn’t match actual inventory unfortunately. But, they had 3 of the Rayas, so I’ll take it.

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Nathan V.

#110 Post by Nathan V. » April 10th, 2020, 10:41 am

I gotta say that as someone who had to close their restaurant and lay-off 35 staff the sense of vulture-like glee at deals due to the desperation of restaurants that were until several weeks ago thriving businesses doesn't sit very well with me.

Maybe it is the limitations of communication through this medium but I have to say I wonder how it would go over if we were tracking commerce corner deals for folks that have lost their livelihood and have to liquidate their cellars.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Kris Patten » April 10th, 2020, 11:07 am

Nathan V. wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 10:41 am
I gotta say that as someone who had to close their restaurant and lay-off 35 staff the sense of vulture-like glee at deals due to the desperation of restaurants that were until several weeks ago thriving businesses doesn't sit very well with me.

Maybe it is the limitations of communication through this medium but I have to say I wonder how it would go over if we were tracking commerce corner deals for folks that have lost their livelihood and have to liquidate their cellars.
I find zero glee, but as that is the direction they have chosen to stay in business, I feel an obligation to help them by buying some wine. To the point of me buying food and any and all wines we sold them instead of going to the store and buying some Joel Gott or some such from them for a few more bucks than retail. If they have other stuff I can support, I do.
ITB

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Brandon R » April 10th, 2020, 11:11 am

Nathan V. wrote:

So these restaurants aren't making any money by selling these bottles?
B. Redman

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by RyanC » April 10th, 2020, 11:12 am

Nathan V. wrote:

No glee here. This is all so sad. But if a restaurant wants to sell wine to pay its employees and stay in business, I'd rather support a small restaurant that I love than a monolithic liquor chain like Spec's.
C@ughey

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Rich Brown » April 10th, 2020, 11:23 am

First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your restaurant Nathan. I can only imagine how difficult that is and just hate to hear stories like this.

I'm also sorry if any of these posts came across as insensitive. I can certainly see your point given your situation, but as others have mentioned, I dont think it was ever the intention to be gleeful about the hardships that restustants are facing. While we all obviously appreciate finding good wine deals, the thought (at least for me) has always been that its hopefully as close to a 'win/win' as possible right now, with restaurants making some money by selling wine and us securing a solid price.

Sorry again to hear about your restaurant - I hope things start looking up soon.

Nathan V.

#115 Post by Nathan V. » April 10th, 2020, 11:36 am

Kris Patten wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:07 am
Nathan V. wrote:

I find zero glee, but as that is the direction they have chosen to stay in business, I feel an obligation to help them by buying some wine. To the point of me buying food and any and all wines we sold them instead of going to the store and buying some Joel Gott or some such from them for a few more bucks than retail. If they have other stuff I can support, I do.
I think supporting independent restaurants is in a good spirit. There probably aren't many employees left. They're trying to pay their bills to be able to maybe re-open.

The spirit of wine-searcher search looking for the lowest price on Krug, etc. rubbed me the wrong way.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

KC Cormack

#116 Post by KC Cormack » April 10th, 2020, 11:37 am

When I picked up my bottles I also got two take-home meals and 4 cocktails. I ended up spending over $400 including tax and a healthy tip.

Nathan V.

#117 Post by Nathan V. » April 10th, 2020, 11:38 am

Brandon R wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:11 am
Nathan V. wrote:

So these restaurants aren't making any money by selling these bottles?
My restaurant wouldn't be, especially if you consider storage costs on the wines. Then we're selling at a loss to get cash flow. This is an act of desperation, not a "pivot". How you interact with it says a lot about who you are, IMO.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nathan V.

#118 Post by Nathan V. » April 10th, 2020, 11:39 am

RyanC wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:12 am
Nathan V. wrote:

No glee here. This is all so sad. But if a restaurant wants to sell wine to pay its employees and stay in business, I'd rather support a small restaurant that I love than a monolithic liquor chain like Spec's.
As I said to Kris, supporting independent restaurants this way is in good spirit.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Nick Gangas » April 10th, 2020, 11:47 am

Kris Patten wrote:
AD Northup wrote:
03 Rayas at $363 a pop
Maybe. Rayas or Martine has been doing a bunch of cellar releases in the past few years. Could have been more recent and expensive.

Nathan V.

#120 Post by Nathan V. » April 10th, 2020, 11:57 am

Rich Brown wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:23 am
First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your restaurant Nathan. I can only imagine how difficult that is and just hate to hear stories like this.

I'm also sorry if any of these posts came across as insensitive. I can certainly see your point given your situation, but as others have mentioned, I dont think it was ever the intention to be gleeful about the hardships that restustants are facing. While we all obviously appreciate finding good wine deals, the thought (at least for me) has always been that its hopefully as close to a 'win/win' as possible right now, with restaurants making some money by selling wine and us securing a solid price.

Sorry again to hear about your restaurant - I hope things start looking up soon.
Maybe the worst day of my life. Our chef has been continuing to come into the restaurant and has been triaging our remaining supplies to feed the staff. Sending some wine home too.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Brandon R » April 10th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Rich Brown wrote:

Very well said, Rich. I echo your sentiments.
B. Redman

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Rich Brown » April 10th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:57 am
Rich Brown wrote:

Maybe the worst day of my life. Our chef has been continuing to come into the restaurant and has been triaging our remaining supplies to feed the staff. Sending some wine home too.
Wow, I'm just so sorry to hear that Nathan. My heart literally breaks reading that. I wish there was more that I could say other than I'm sending positive thoughts you way and hope things improve for you and your staff real soon

Nathan V.

#123 Post by Nathan V. » April 10th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Brandon R wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 12:18 pm
Rich Brown wrote:

I just want to clarify one thing that I've said elsewhere but not here. Personally, I am fine. I am an investor/owner and do not draw my primary income from the restaurant. For almost all of my 35 employees this was their primary source of income. I'm an academic researcher by vocation and, as such, do not make enough to support the restaurant as an ongoing concern without incoming revenue.

We're doing everything we can to try to re-open at some point. Thank you for your kind sentiments.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Andrew M

#124 Post by Andrew M » April 10th, 2020, 1:56 pm

FYI, Fiola Mare's cellar going to retail next week. A great list!
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by AD Northup » April 10th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Brandon R wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:

Agreed

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Ramon C

#126 Post by Ramon C » April 10th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Brandon R wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:

Thia is how I look at the situation. No glee here. I haven't bought any wine from any restaurant. I would like to and may purchase but I've no access to restaurants' private sale announcements or such.
@brera

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by John Glas » April 10th, 2020, 2:20 pm

buying some Joel Gott or some such from them for a few more bucks than retail. If they have other stuff I can support, I do.
ITB
At least give an example of Chateau Ste Michelle Indian Wells over Joel Gott neener

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by John Glas » April 10th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Restaurant business is a hard business to stay profitable in good times. Hopefully May is a safe time to open for business.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Craig G » April 10th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Joe V wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 3:03 pm
Doing Manresa take-out tomorrow evening. The sommelier suggested bottle pairing with dinner was $45 so we added that on. Won't know the bottle until we pick up tomorrow...

-Joe
We had Manresa tonight. Dinner per person is a bit over $50 plus tax/tip. We also added the sommelier selection which was a white St. Joseph paired with the salmon.

My kids picked up but said the staff were in tuxes with black gloves.

Dinner was super. We will probably do it again next week.
20EBE74E-C808-49FE-AD24-E2BB5A6B8992.jpeg
37ED5110-3957-4265-A7AF-D46082FF45D3.jpeg
1FDCF80F-64F8-458C-BB36-354D92B65576.jpeg
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Blair Ridley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Blair Ridley » April 11th, 2020, 4:41 am

I'm also very sorry to hear about your restaurant, Nathan. I hope you're able to re-open soon and restore some stability to your staff.

I haven't seen much by way of advertised deals in Boston yet. The only thing remotely interesting has been at Mastro's where they are offering the burger with 3 different bottle options to go for a very decent price. I think they wanted $40 for the burger+Daou cab and $140 for the burger+Caymus (yawn).

I wish my local restaurants had better wine lists - I would definitely support them more and bring home family meals with any fair wine offers. Without that, I'm just buying to-go meals as much as I can from the places we wish to make it through this whole saga.

YLee

#131 Post by YLee » April 11th, 2020, 5:01 am

The problem I faced in New York with buying wines from restaurants is that the lines are too long. As much as I would like to support local restaurants, I really don't want to jeopardize my health over a bottle of wine.

2nd, prices arent attractive enough to risk my health.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Ed Steinway » April 11th, 2020, 6:35 am

Manresa was mentioned in this article by Esther Mobley in the SF Chronicle about restaurants selling some of their wine in order to continue their cash flow.

Ed

https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/articl ... 192956.php

Mel Hill

#133 Post by Mel Hill » April 11th, 2020, 7:32 am

Nathan V. wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 12:21 pm

I just want to clarify one thing that I've said elsewhere but not here. Personally, I am fine. I am an investor/owner and do not draw my primary income from the restaurant. For almost all of my 35 employees this was their primary source of income. I'm an academic researcher by vocation and, as such, do not make enough to support the restaurant as an ongoing concern without incoming revenue.

We're doing everything we can to try to re-open at some point. Thank you for your kind sentiments.
We took the family to Nathan's restaurant two summers ago and it was very good. I'd highly recommend a visit there when they reopen.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by Bdklein » April 11th, 2020, 8:07 am

Mel Hill wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 7:32 am
Nathan V. wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 12:21 pm

We took the family to Nathan's restaurant two summers ago and it was very good. I'd highly recommend a visit there when they reopen.
I've heard it's good . Hope it does reopen . But does he serve his fries with little red forks too?
Bruce Klein

K. Tr@n

#135 Post by K. Tr@n » April 11th, 2020, 9:42 am

We used to go to Manresa pre fire, pre price hike and thought it was a top tier restaurant.
However, that carry out meal for $50+ is steep. Wow. If they throw in the bottle of wine, then it's a different story.
First init. h @ n g

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by J a y H a c k » April 11th, 2020, 10:28 am

Jeremy C wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 5:58 pm
You don’t think that the CARES Act will keep many restaurants alive?
Many? Uh, no. I have spoken to well over 2000 people in 8 separate seminars about the forgivable loan program and I have not heard from a single restaurant. The structure of the program is such that it may help pay workers while the restaurant is closed, but it is an 8 week band-aid on a gaping wound.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#137 Post by Jeremy C » April 11th, 2020, 12:51 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 10:28 am
Jeremy C wrote:
March 28th, 2020, 5:58 pm
You don’t think that the CARES Act will keep many restaurants alive?
Many? Uh, no. I have spoken to well over 2000 people in 8 separate seminars about the forgivable loan program and I have not heard from a single restaurant. The structure of the program is such that it may help pay workers while the restaurant is closed, but it is an 8 week band-aid on a gaping wound.
That's my fear and it's really a sad loss for us.
Cuth.bert.son

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#138 Post by Craig G » April 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm

K. Tr@n wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 9:42 am
We used to go to Manresa pre fire, pre price hike and thought it was a top tier restaurant.
However, that carry out meal for $50+ is steep. Wow. If they throw in the bottle of wine, then it's a different story.
It’s not cheap but it included their own bread and a very tasty dessert in addition to what I showed, so it really was a whole dinner. And it’s Los Gatos.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#139 Post by davidkong » April 15th, 2020, 2:13 am

We are helping restaurants do this on Somm.ai (Free except when it’s a big corporation). I’ll post when new things come up, but feel free to msg me about what you care about. It usually gets picked over pretty quickly.

La griglia (NJ) - monfortino, bartolo are good deals
fiola mare (dc)
Acquarello (sf) - there are a couple of bottles here that are good value
Market.thepostoakhotel.com (Houston) - we built them a website and disclaimer we do get a small (tiny?) finders fee here and it helps fund the other not for profit operations, and this is a huge company.
There’s roumier at compagnie vin surnaturel in NYC that is below retail

We will have a lot coming up soon, mostly in the Texas/LA area.

We should also get some DRC in the Bay Area - msg me if you want to be on that distribution. I don’t think the list is big enough to be put on the website.

Barndiva has some burgundy below retail (DRC, PYMC)

In NYC we also have a few retail shops that don’t have stock online that will be selling through our platform and there should be some deals.
Glasvin (40% off with code WINEBERSERKERS)
Owner
Somm.ai
Owner

Alex O

#140 Post by Alex O » May 18th, 2020, 8:13 am

adam caldwell wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 8:43 pm
In Chicago RPM steak, RPM Italian, Italian Village all selling wine from thier list.
+1 on RPM. Picked up a few Brunellos myself. You can access there full reduced price wine-list on their instagram pages. As for some bigger ticket items you might have some luck reaching out to there wine directors/somms and make an offer.
I drink, therefore I am.
0radei

Michael Klein

#141 Post by Michael Klein » May 19th, 2020, 10:34 am

Jacques Selosse Lieux-dits 'La Cote Faron' $240 ea - whoa.

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by AD Northup » May 19th, 2020, 11:10 am

Michael Klein wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 10:34 am
Wow, what city?

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Michael Klein

#143 Post by Michael Klein » May 19th, 2020, 1:15 pm

AD Northup wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 11:10 am
Michael Klein wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 10:34 am
Wow, what city?
chicago

Al Osterheld

#144 Post by Al Osterheld » May 19th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Probably oxidized.

-Al

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#145 Post by M. Dildine » May 19th, 2020, 1:37 pm

adam caldwell wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 8:43 pm
In Chicago RPM steak, RPM Italian, Italian Village all selling wine from thier list.
Fun restaurants with very nice wine lists. We eat there often when in Chicago to visit our son.
Cheers,

Mike

doug johnson

#146 Post by doug johnson » May 19th, 2020, 6:24 pm

One of my favorite places that I've been going to since '06, and has always had a pretty reasonable wine list, is selling take away with food orders.

Did take out last Saturday, the first meal I did not prepare in ~ 8 weeks, and got a '13 Dauvissat Sechet for $61 and '11 Burlotto Acclivi for $58.

They have '97 Salon for $300 - would you bite on that?

Al Osterheld

#147 Post by Al Osterheld » May 19th, 2020, 7:29 pm

I'd definitely bite on the 1997 Salon.

-Al

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Andre M » May 20th, 2020, 7:16 am

doug johnson wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:24 pm
I would. Where is this restaurant? [wink.gif]
A M u l y o n o

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#149 Post by Dan Kravitz » May 22nd, 2020, 4:53 pm

AFAIK there are no 'trophy' wine lists in Maine, but I just picked up a dinner-with-a-bottle that is making me very happy.

Chaval is a relatively new, really good restaurant in Portland Maine.

Chicken dinner for 2 - whole chicken, their incredible potatos and an excellent salad, home dressing on the side: $38.
Bottle of 2006 Lopez-Heredia Tondonia Reserva: $42.

Yeah, I know, that's about retail average, but walking in the door with great grub and a fine bottle for $80 (that's all-in, but I did leave a tip for the person who put it in the back of my car) on an evening when I'm tired and I knew Sally didn't want to cook counts for a lot. As does supporting my peeps.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Craig G » May 22nd, 2020, 7:39 pm

doug johnson wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:24 pm
$80 quality for $300... who wouldn’t want that?

C. Gle@son

Return to “Wine Talk”