Restaurants selling wine carry-out at great prices...

It seems that many restaurants are also attempting to stay afloat by selling bottles of wine carry-out style. I received an email from a high-end steakhouse in the Seattle area (Bellevue), John Howie Steak, and there were some pretty impressive deals available. Has anyone else done this? I grabbed five, but had requested more only to find they were gone:

2 x 2008 Dom Perignon @ $150 (not a great deal, but it save shipping and transport)
2 x 2015 Antinori Tignanello Toscana IGT @ $95
1 x 2012 M. Chapoutier Côte-Rôtie La Mordorée @ $61

I also had requested some 2016 Domaine Billaud-Simon Chablis Grand Cru Vaudésir they had listed at $51 and some 2017 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis 1er Cru La Forest they had at $79. I also sought more than one of the La Mordorée.

Has anyone else bought from restaurants? Any great deals?

great way to help support restaurants. Los Angeles has allowed selling bottles carry out style to restaurants like retailers which i think is really cool.

The Winery restaurant in Newport Beach is doing that. 50% off everything. Given there are roughly (but very inexactly) 2X markups, many fall roughly around retail price.

But some are more and some are also less - in fact, I think as you go up to mid and higher priced wines, the number of bottles that have a <2X markup increases. I think you could get 2008 Cristal for $188.

I would but our state is not yet allowing that. We have started a petition to our governor to allow that.

Has anyone else bought from restaurants? Any great deals?

Very smart to not over charge with takeout. I was wondering how restaurants that were allowed to do take out of liquor were going to do this.

Anyone seen the over the top pricing they normally charge on wine?

Krug @ $125 is the best deal I’ve seen so far in Houston.

Krug @ $125 is the best deal I’ve seen so far in Houston.

Wow!

Maine is allowing retail wine sales by restaurants. Haven’t seen any screaming bargains yet, but one local place is offering a bottle of the wine from my vineyard for $25. It’s the better of my two bottlings and that’s about average retail price.

I think this is a good idea, I just hope enough restaurants ‘get it’, so that they sell some wine at about retail and it helps them stay alive.

Dan Kravitz

Tarbells in Phoenix just sold two bottles of ‘07 DRC Echezeaux for $699+tax for carryout. I was too late unfortunately

Restaurants in Santa Barbara are selling to-go cocktails. I never would have thought the ABC would allow something like that.
Served in plastic cups with a lid that doesn’t have a straw hole. You’re supposed to put it in the trunk of your car and take it home, but they don’t seem to GAF if people drink it while waiting for their to go order, or find a bench to sit and enjoy.

2004 Salon for $250 is pretty hard to beat

The only place near me I’ve found doing this is offering 50% off bottles to go, but they have a very weak selection. If you like Caymus, $55, or the Schooner one for $30 are relatively good deals.

Luma in Orlando, with a pretty decent list, is selling bottles at 50% list price.

Some decent deals, like 2015 Opus One for $225.

A place in Houston has 08 Cristal for $140.

Good to see restaurants able to do this to help stay afloat. Rules have been relaxed here in Chicago (both in Cook and Lake county) - Cheers!

I’ve only seen Vetri in the Philly area and wasn’t anything that got to a price to interest me. Wonder if more will come the longer places stay closed.

Krug NV for $110 and 2002 for $185 near me, also 1990 Lynch Bages and 2000 Bonneau Celestins for $195.

Where? Love me some
Bonneau

After I get 'em. PM me.

Nothing going on for NYC?