COVID-19 takes wine legend Marqués de Griñón

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
GregT

COVID-19 takes wine legend Marqués de Griñón

#1 Post by GregT » March 25th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Carlos Falcó, Marqués de Griñón, died at 83 from the COVID-19 virus. A graduate of UC Davis, he was a force in the Spanish wine world, introducing both Syrah and Petit Verdot to Spain and making one of the better monovarietal Petit Verdots I've ever had. His estate, Dominio de Valdepusa, was the first estate awarded DOC status in Spain. And he made a pretty good olive oil.

RIP.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Nathan Smyth

Re: COVID-19 takes wine legend Marqués de Griñón

#2 Post by Nathan Smyth » March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm

When you correct for starting date, the Corona virus deaths in Iran are tracking China almost perfectly.

Similarly, the United States is tracking France almost perfectly [go figure].

South Korea & Japan are tracking one another as far outliers, with almost no deaths whatsoever.

Italy had by far the worst Death Curve, until a day or two ago, when Spain stopped tracking Italy and suddenly started shooting straight up into the stratosphere.

Something's badly wrong in Italy, and especially now in Spain.
coronavirus_DEATHS.png

Otto Forsberg

#3 Post by Otto Forsberg » March 25th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm
Something's badly wrong in Italy, and especially now in Spain.
It's them darn old people.

Jürgen Steinke

#4 Post by Jürgen Steinke » March 26th, 2020, 12:04 am

The problem in Italy and Spain is that the number of people in need of intense care is bigger than the existent beds in hospitals. Therefore old people do not get the treatment they badly need. That is the reason for the ever growing number of death rates. The situation gets worse every day. An end of this horrible story is not in sight so far. Germany and US are only at the beginning of this disaster. I fear we must be prepared of facing a similar situation in our countries.

Return to “Wine Talk”