Avalanche of e-mail wine offers

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Walker

Avalanche of e-mail wine offers

#1 Post by Kelly Walker » March 25th, 2020, 11:33 am

Is it just me? I am experiencing a tsunami of e-mail offers, maybe twice if not more than I normally get. There seems to be a good bit of downward pressure on prices. I started comparing a lot of these offers on wine-searcher and almost every one is offering at the bottom or below the range. Anyone else seeing/noticing this?
I want to be known by my indulgences.

Ian S

Re: Avalanche of e-mail wine offers

#2 Post by Ian S » March 25th, 2020, 11:36 am

Plenty of them in my inbox also. Must be tough to sell wine to the unemployed & terrified masses.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Frank Murray III » March 25th, 2020, 11:38 am

I got one for 30% off, plus free shipping. And, one restaurant that was 50% off inventory.

Yes, I too am one of the unemployed masses. [training.gif]
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Paul McCourt » March 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

i am getting tons of email offers
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#5 Post by larry schaffer » March 25th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Folks - as a small producer who depends upon DTC, including visits to my tasting room, the current situation has impacted my bottom line tremendously, as it has other producers. I do sell a portion of my wines through the wholesale markets, but as you can imagine, very few retailers and zero restaurants are looking to order wines at this time.

You will continue to get these emails from many producers - and if you are in the position to support small producers, now is the time to do so. We are all working hard to stay above water here (and this is not to say that others are not - I truly and honestly feel for those that work in industries like the restaurant industry where most work without health insurance and many work paycheck to paycheck without one now).

The deals that many of us are offering are above and beyond our normal deals and that is great enticement to you. It comes at a difficult time, leading us to lower our margins but maintain some cash flow at a time when most of us have a wall of crop/bottling bills that are piling up.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » March 25th, 2020, 12:19 pm

Yes, much of distribution business ultimately goes to restaurants. Which aren't buying. Distributors have (temporarily) laid off sales staff. I'm owed tens of thousand$ from a variety of great business partners who like almost everyone in this business have seen the worst case scenario occur.

So yes direct sales - that's all there is now and for the foreseeable future. Times are desperate. I expect several producers won't be able to ride this out. I'm hoping to and feel in as good a position as I can imagine. But talk to me in another month or three.

Meanwhile, do anything you can to support businesses you value. Stay well. Volunteer or help in your community in other ways, even small ones like checking on family, friends and neighbors. I've signed up to deliver meals for Meals on Wheels. Any help can make a difference.

To use a sports analogy, our economy - our society perhaps - has essentially ruptured its Achilles. We need to look ahead to the next season and focus on salvaging the career, and get through the meantime as decently as possible. I'm hopeful, but sobered by the potential realities ahead.
Vincent - ITB

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by AD Northup » March 25th, 2020, 1:00 pm

A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Chris Seiber » March 25th, 2020, 1:06 pm

I stopped by Hi Time on Monday. I guess they are still open, but you can't go in the store, you can only order things on their website and then come pick it up. That must knock their revenues down to a small percentage of what they are when the store is open, even before you factor in the softening demand due to economy and stock market.
Last edited by Chris Seiber on March 25th, 2020, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcu$ Stanley

#9 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » March 25th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Not seeing this and not seeing downward pressure on prices. Just got an offer from HDH Wine for 2018 Bouchards -- the Le Corton at $150/per (50% or more higher than release prices for the 2015 and 2016), Chevalier Montrachet at $445 (again 50% higher than previous release prices), etc. etc. From K&L early bid on 2000 Pichon Baron at $200/bottle, maybe $20-30 below market prices and the auction has six days to run. I am not in the market but keeping an eye on it out of curiousity and seen plenty of this, prices don't seem to have moved much for high end wines.

Steve Crawford

#10 Post by Steve Crawford » March 25th, 2020, 1:09 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Folks - as a small producer who depends upon DTC, including visits to my tasting room, the current situation has impacted my bottom line tremendously, as it has other producers. I do sell a portion of my wines through the wholesale markets, but as you can imagine, very few retailers and zero restaurants are looking to order wines at this time.

You will continue to get these emails from many producers - and if you are in the position to support small producers, now is the time to do so. We are all working hard to stay above water here (and this is not to say that others are not - I truly and honestly feel for those that work in industries like the restaurant industry where most work without health insurance and many work paycheck to paycheck without one now).

The deals that many of us are offering are above and beyond our normal deals and that is great enticement to you. It comes at a difficult time, leading us to lower our margins but maintain some cash flow at a time when most of us have a wall of crop/bottling bills that are piling up.

Cheers.
Larry- as always I respect your candor. I have zero issue with any size winery reaching out via if i have consented to email communication and they provide me the ability to opt out from future emails.
I would 100000x prefer a blunt email promoting product/sales/discounts etc rather than one being subtle about it and discussing corona etc.
meaning, if you wanna sell-sell, I respect that.

AndrewH

#11 Post by AndrewH » March 25th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Marcu$ Stanley wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:06 pm
Not seeing this and not seeing downward pressure on prices. Just got an offer from HDH Wine for 2018 Bouchards -- the Le Corton at $150/per (50% or more higher than release prices for the 2015 and 2016), Chevalier Montrachet at $445 (again 50% higher than previous release prices), etc. etc. From K&L early bid on 2000 Pichon Baron at $200/bottle, maybe $20-30 below market prices and the auction has six days to run. I am not in the market but keeping an eye on it out of curiousity and seen plenty of this, prices don't seem to have moved much for high end wines.
Yeah - I'm getting the wine store emails that are basically just reminders they're open and selling (even if just by delivery or parking lot pickup). No sales there - full retail (I get it).

Then there are the wineries like Larry's that are sitting on more wine than they expected and looking to sell it - some deals there. Too bad it's right after mailer season!
Andrew H e i m e r t

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Jeff_M. » March 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Getting a ton of them and what I did buy so far was library releases so I can drink them now without having to cellar long term.
Jeff M 0 l l

Bill G

#13 Post by Bill G » March 25th, 2020, 1:54 pm

I have gotten a few. Poorly timed by them.

With this economy, everyone is getting crushed. I will be drinking out of my cellar for the foreseeable future. Hopefully we are at the bottom.
G u t k n e c h t

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#14 Post by Adam Frisch » March 25th, 2020, 5:54 pm

I'm so new that I still hadn't lined up any retailers, distributors or restaurants. I had so many meetings boked and so much interest, but now... hitsfan So DTC is the only way I can feed my family right now and I sure appreciate all those who have ordered and even re-ordered. Every little helps. Please, if you're in the position to do so, keep DTC orders coming to all the small producers you enjoy!

Thank you so much for your support! [cheers.gif]
Last edited by Adam Frisch on March 25th, 2020, 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker (with a little help) at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by RyanC » March 25th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Restaurants here are blowing out their wine. I may grab some. I don't know if it would make me feel good or scummy. Probably both. It's really sad.
C@ughey

Bob Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Bob Davis » March 25th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Getting tons of offers mainly offering cheap(er) shipping. Almost no discounts on wine making it worth putting in an order.

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#17 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » March 25th, 2020, 6:42 pm

"Poorly timed by them."

I actually laughed. Thank you. [berserker.gif]
Vincent - ITB

Markus S

#18 Post by Markus S » March 25th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Kelly Walker wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 11:33 am
Is it just me?
Yes
Kelly Walker wrote:Anyone else seeing/noticing this?
No
$ _ € ® e . k @

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by John Morris » March 25th, 2020, 7:12 pm

I, too, have been received a blizzard. A friend at the distributor level told me that retail sales are fine. I figured they may be (a) capitalizing on the fact that restaurants and bars are closed and/or (b) trying to rake in some cash and reduce inventory before the economic tsunami hits.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

williamwhelan

#20 Post by williamwhelan » March 25th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Everyone is trying to keep their heads above water for as long as possible. We don't know how long this will last and how dire things will get. Many of the wineries we work with *might* be able to hang on through another 4 weeks. But if this extends into May, June, and July...I hesitate to even speculate.
VP of Wine @ Winestyr
ITB

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Randy Bowman » March 25th, 2020, 7:31 pm

The entire chain has taken a hit, from winery through distribution and retailer. I wish I had a pile of mad money to buy wines being offered at half price or less, but at the same time, I can't sell that same wine I already have in stock because it is available for less than I paid wholesale. This may result in price correction down the road, but if you have the money, now is the time to buy. May not yield like a stock, but enjoying a wine at half price makes the meal taste better and somebody in the chain survives.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

M a x S w o m l e y

#22 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 25th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Randy Bowman wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 7:31 pm
The entire chain has taken a hit, from winery through distribution and retailer. I wish I had a pile of mad money to buy wines being offered at half price or less, but at the same time, I can't sell that same wine I already have in stock because it is available for less than I paid wholesale. This may result in price correction down the road, but if you have the money, now is the time to buy. May not yield like a stock, but enjoying a wine at half price makes the meal taste better and somebody in the chain survives.
I like this take on it, people are offering their wine at that price for a reason and you're helping them stay afloat.

Ian S

#23 Post by Ian S » March 25th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Bill G wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:54 pm
At first I was a little incredulous, but then I remembered what site I was on. I need some help from other Berserkers, particularly the NYC crew, with a nip of derogatory slang....

Bill, you're a schmuck! [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Is that a correct and appropriate response here? Normally, I'd call him a bell end, but I wanted to sure no translation was necessary.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 26th, 2020, 8:03 am

larry schaffer wrote:

Cheers.
That just about says it all, Larry. Well done.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 26th, 2020, 8:06 am

Bob Davis wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Getting tons of offers mainly offering cheap(er) shipping. Almost no discounts on wine making it worth putting in an order.
Check out the special forum on this Board - there are real deals there.
Merrill

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by RyanC » March 26th, 2020, 8:17 am

Vins Rare offering 2017 Faiveley at what they call "Wholesale Prices," and I believe it.
C@ughey

M a x S w o m l e y

#27 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 26th, 2020, 10:09 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:06 am
Bob Davis wrote:
Excited for that EMH order!

M a x S w o m l e y

#28 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 26th, 2020, 10:10 am

Ian S wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:34 pm
Bill G wrote:
At first I was a little incredulous, but then I remembered what site I was on. I need some help from other Berserkers, particularly the NYC crew, with a nip of derogatory slang....

Is that a correct and appropriate response here? Normally, I'd call him a bell end, but I wanted to sure no translation was necessary.
I guess that's another solid way of saying "ignorant and self-absorbed".

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Jim F » March 26th, 2020, 10:18 am

There are more deals out there than in the linked list. Keenan 20%. Seavey I think had free shipping. Howell Mountain vintners and growers association has a list of specials. And more......
Jim Freeman

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 26th, 2020, 10:25 am

M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:09 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:06 am
Bob Davis wrote:
Excited for that EMH order!
Excited to have a new customer!
Merrill

Philip N. Jones

#31 Post by Philip N. Jones » March 26th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Yes, the “poorly timed” comment was truly ignorant and self-absorbed.
These businesses are in dire straits.
Phil Jones

PeterJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by PeterJ » March 26th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Businesses are having to get really creative.

I used to work at a wine shop whose owners have owned a women’s clothing boutique for 40 years. Obviously their spring merchandise has come in and they have to be closed. This morning I got an email (I was never on their mailing list and haven’t spoken to them in over 3 years) announcing a Facebook Live showing of their new merchandise with shipping, delivery and pickup services set up.

The shop I work at now is doing shipping and pickup of discounted wine inventory and bottled food products, taking reservations for pickup.

A local barbecue place, one that has had a food truck but is in the process of switching to a brick and mortar location, just Instagrammed a by-the-pound ordering ability with pickup and delivery available

Whatever it takes.
Peter J@ckel

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by John Glas » March 26th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Minneapolis Wine Shops have done nothing interesting. The only thing they email me everyday is that they are still open. You think a 30% off sale would be in order. They must be doing well so no sales right now.

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Philip G » March 26th, 2020, 2:34 pm

March 26th, 2020, 10:10 am
Ian S wrote:
Bill G wrote:

Dang, you guys are quick to condemn.

To me, that clearly implied that Bill G is not able to take advantage of any of the offers and as he said is drinking from his cellar. My wife has had her hours cut by 80% so, out of caution, we will be cutting back on wine purchases until things get back near normal.
Philip "Chip" G

AndyK

#35 Post by AndyK » March 26th, 2020, 2:40 pm

... hence ignorant and self-absorbed ...
k0berl

Bill G

#36 Post by Bill G » March 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Philip G wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:34 pm
Ian S wrote:

To me, that clearly implied that Bill G is not able to take advantage of any of the offers and as he said is drinking from his cellar. My wife has had her hours cut by 80% so, out of caution, we will be cutting back on wine purchases until things get back near normal.
Thank you.

Ian, I am waiting for my well deserved apology....
G u t k n e c h t

AndyK

#37 Post by AndyK » March 26th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Bill G wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Philip G wrote:

Thank you.

k0berl

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#38 Post by c fu » March 26th, 2020, 3:10 pm

RyanC wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 5:56 pm
Restaurants here are blowing out their wine. I may grab some. I don't know if it would make me feel good or scummy. Probably both. It's really sad.
If they are selling to help their employees, someone needs to actually buy them to help said employees. Buy away!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Paul McCourt » March 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm

AD Northup wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Decent updating list here:

http://www.vinography.com/archives/2020 ... winer.html
Thanks for the link!
Clicked on some. Will support some.

Curiosity clicked a few..
Lail charges $155 for a Sauvignon Blanc!?!?!
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

M a x S w o m l e y

#40 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 26th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm
AD Northup wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Decent updating list here:

http://www.vinography.com/archives/2020 ... winer.html
Thanks for the link!
Clicked on some. Will support some.

Curiosity clicked a few..
Lail charges $155 for a Sauvignon Blanc!?!?!
Any chance of getting some recommendations? I'm relatively new to wine and especially US-based wine.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Mattstolz » March 26th, 2020, 3:31 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 7:12 pm
I, too, have been received a blizzard. A friend at the distributor level told me that retail sales are fine. I figured they may be (a) capitalizing on the fact that restaurants and bars are closed and/or (b) trying to rake in some cash and reduce inventory before the economic tsunami hits.
my friend who is a manager at our local retail store was telling me similar. I can only imagine this is people preparing to hunker down. he was telling me he was shocked by the number of 6 pack and case orders. I encouraged him but silently that rings alarm bells for me for their coming weeks. if people who normally buy a single bottle a week are now buying cases... they won't be back for a while.

The other piece of that is those purchases were largely made before 3.2million people filed for unemployment last week. I imagine those sales will slow way down from here.

as far as the original thread question, I've also been seeing a good number of offers. I really wish I could get in on all of them, but so far have had to say no because my own pay was drastically deferred for the time being. just like some of these wineries are not sure they'll be able to keep operating in this environment, our business is in the same situation. as I'm sure millions around the country are. it frustrates me that the current environment is so widespread. it makes it very hard for one sector to help support another in really meaningful ways.

Ian S

#42 Post by Ian S » March 26th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Bill G wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Philip G wrote:

Thank you.

Don't hold your breath. neener As you can see, there are quite a few who agree with me judging by the replies calling you "ignorant and self-absorbed".

On the other hand, please do hold your breath. [snort.gif] There are a great many people who are aboard the same unemployed or cut-back boat, and they're not whinging because they can't make frivolous luxury purchases. Sour grapes Bill?
S t 1 g 0 m a n

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by robert creth » March 26th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Just trash the offers if they bug you. I’m getting offers from pretty much any business that I have purchased from, not just wine. I know I cant support all of them but I do what I can.

John W Osgood

#44 Post by John W Osgood » March 26th, 2020, 4:40 pm

I've received offers this week from places that I haven't received offers from in years! Trying to figure out if they added me to their mailing lists from prior purchases or if they undid unsubscribe requests.
IG: vins_rouges

CT: JOsgood

Leonard Taylor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Leonard Taylor » March 26th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Jim F wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:18 am
There are more deals out there than in the linked list. Keenan 20%. Seavey I think had free shipping. Howell Mountain vintners and growers association has a list of specials. And more......
I am not seeing the 20% discount on Keenan's website. Do you have to be in the club to get that?
Leonard Taylor

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Jim F » March 26th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Leonard Taylor wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Jim F wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:18 am
I am not seeing the 20% discount on Keenan's website. Do you have to be in the club to get that?
Not sure. I quit the club over a year ago. Go to keenanwinery.com, then scroll down a bit. Right hand box says 20% off. Left hand box is 50% off their merlot by the case. Does that work?
Jim Freeman

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Ed Steinway » March 26th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Jim F wrote:
Not sure. I quit the club over a year ago. Go to keenanwinery.com, then scroll down a bit. Right hand box says 20% off. Left hand box is 50% off their merlot by the case. Does that work?
$22 for their 2015 Merlot is quite a deal! Thank you for the heads-up!

Ed

AlexCWu

#48 Post by AlexCWu » March 26th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Chanin is also offering free shipping. I had Lutum but never bought directly.

With stay at home orders, I figure I would pick one to support. So, they are it.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#49 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 7:56 pm

larry schaffer wrote:

Cheers.
+1

Email is make or break for many of us right now. The success of our spring email offer this week is the only leg of the table still holding anything up.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » March 26th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 3:31 pm
John Morris wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 7:12 pm
my friend who is a manager at our local retail store was telling me similar. I can only imagine this is people preparing to hunker down. he was telling me he was shocked by the number of 6 pack and case orders. I encouraged him but silently that rings alarm bells for me for their coming weeks. if people who normally buy a single bottle a week are now buying cases... they won't be back for a while.

The other piece of that is those purchases were largely made before 3.2million people filed for unemployment last week. I imagine those sales will slow way down from here.

as far as the original thread question, I've also been seeing a good number of offers. I really wish I could get in on all of them, but so far have had to say no because my own pay was drastically deferred for the time being. just like some of these wineries are not sure they'll be able to keep operating in this environment, our business is in the same situation. as I'm sure millions around the country are. it frustrates me that the current environment is so widespread. it makes it very hard for one sector to help support another in really meaningful ways.
Well said Matt.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Return to “Wine Talk”