TN: 2018 Nals-Margreid Pinot Bianco Alto Adige - Südtirol Sirmian

First WB tasting note! I don’t usually drink Italian white wines because I find them to be generally rather bland (sorry, sorry) but I’ll always take a shot on anything from Alto Adige and I was very pleased with this one! Not overly expensive (~$35 CAD) and a unique expression of single-vineyard Pinot Blanc.

It pours an attractive garden green-tinged straw colour; the nose is awash with wet stone (I was really surprised at the amount of mineral influence), grassiness, and some soft peachy/apricot & delicate white floral character. The first thing you notice in the mouth is the lovely fresh acidity, but I think the best part about it is the texture; nice oily mouthfeel (14% ABV) but balanced by that lift. On the finish it has some of that really pleasant bitter orange character that seems to be a hallmark of a lot of northern Italian whites but is really welcome here as a nice send-off.

Went great with the spanakopita that a more talented member of my household made.
B6074938-7865-4312-B3A7-C06D205A030E.jpg

Nice note, welcome!
Their Punggl Pinot Grigio also excellent, again with some minerality. It was in the KGBO a few months ago, not sure what’s left. And their $19 CAD basic PG is excellent value.
Alto Adige def a top terroir for minerally whites. Several other good producers too.

Sirmian is hands down one of the greatest Pinot Blanc wines I know, close to the stunning Riserva Vorberg by Cantina Terlan. Consistently one of the most balanced, concentrated and long-lived Italian whites I know. Definitely stuff you might want to consider filling your cellar with - at least with a few bottles.

Thanks for your excellent note, Sean. Alto Adige whites are simply terrific — crisp, bright, pure.

Thanks, Sean. Excellent notes. I am a new convert to Alto Adige whites (and Italian whites, in general). This sounds right up my alley. Always thankful for new wines to lookout for

Welcome, Sean and nice TN. Not familiar with this producer, but it’s hard to go wrong with a wine from the Sudtirol, red or white.
Please share more TN’s and soon you’ll be up to 23,794 like yours truly!! [tease.gif]
Tom

Nice note. made me want to try the wine. I have lusted after whites from Alto Adige from what I’ve tasted of the very few I’ve had. but just never got any traction going. Reading TN’s on WB like this does get me thinking about it and I love reading about other wines people will recommend in threads too. I’m in Alberta and I can’t find any Sudtirol. But I might be able to get Riserva Vorberg by Cantina Terlan which was mentioned above.

Thanks all! I’ve really enjoyed some of the pinot noir I’ve had from AA/Sudtirol but this is my first white. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for whatever the LCBO happens to bring in and especially Cantina Terlan.