TN: 2012 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Shake Ridge Ranch

• 2012 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Shake Ridge Ranch - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (3/24/2020)
    A few days after having the 2018 Shake Ridge, I went back to 2012. Definitely see the lineage, though the 12 is a heftier wine. Pop n pour, deeper ruby than the 12 in color, a bit of bricking around the edges, a touch hazy. Cedar and lavender-y floral notes on the nose, cherry lozenge poking in. Plenty of body, though nothing overbearing, with prominent maraschino then a bit of pucker on the finish. This is really in harmony right now but can easily go a few more years. Lovely stuff. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note, Brad! I wish I still had some of the older D&R wines. I drank them too soon and never really gave them time to develop. You have more?

I have a couple of the 2012 Shake Ridge and 10 different 2013s. Eric Brown may have some more old ones and opened a 2010 Santa Barbara Highlands Mourvedre a few weeks ago that was fascinating. Screaming Dimetapp on the nose in a very good way that contrasted sharply with tart funky plummy fruit on the palate, a sweet and sour combination that took some time to get my head around but that became more compelling with each sniff and sip.

That was the last of my 12s. And no 13s left (the traditional sparkling was my favorite from that vintage).

I’ve got a few 14s left - including a mag of Evangelho. I bet we could raid the Rowdy cellar, too : )