Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#1 Post by bmckenney » March 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Looking to stock up on this vintage. I don't have access to any '16 Produttori at this time so I'd like to take the opportunity to try some others, in the sub $40 category. My strategy is buy some good performing wines that are excelling due to this great vintage and save some money. And cellar worthy so not necessarily Langhe, but would be open to exceptional wines from there. I would imagine some outperform entry level Barbaresco.

I already picked up:
2016 Fontanabianca Barbaresco ($20)
2016 Giuseppe Nada Barbaresco Casot ($40)
2016 Vite Colte Barbaresco La Casa in Collina ($25)
Bryan

User avatar
Rory K.
Posts: 387
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#2 Post by Rory K. » March 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm

La Ca Nova is an easy choice, the 2016 Barbaresco should be about 30 bucks, and I see their Montefico and Montestefano for around 40 or less sometimes. Depends on your local availability.
K i n n e a r

ITB

bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#3 Post by bmckenney » March 24th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Rory K. wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm
La Ca Nova is an easy choice, the 2016 Barbaresco should be about 30 bucks, and I see their Montefico and Montestefano for around 40 or less sometimes. Depends on your local availability.
It sure does depend on availability, more so in Canada where its not easy to shop out ones locale. And unfortunately La Ca Nova is not available in Alberta.
Bryan

User avatar
Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8979
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#4 Post by Chris Seiber » March 24th, 2020, 2:00 pm

bmckenney wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Looking to stock up on this vintage. I don't have access to any '16 Produttori at this time so I'd like to take the opportunity to try some others, in the sub $40 category. My strategy is buy some good performing wines that are excelling due to this great vintage and save some money. And cellar worthy so not necessarily Langhe, but would be open to exceptional wines from there. I would imagine some outperform entry level Barbaresco.

I already picked up:
2016 Fontanabianca Barbaresco ($20)
2016 Giuseppe Nada Barbaresco Casot ($40)
2016 Vite Colte Barbaresco La Casa in Collina ($25)
You got Fontanabianca for $20? That's incredible. Is it somewhere I can buy it?

I visited there maybe ten years ago or so. It's the classic old school Italian wine family - husband and wife run the winery and live upstairs in the modest building in the middle of their gorgeous vineyard. Some of the kids and siblings come to help out at harvest and crush. There is nothing the least bit fancy about the people or the place, nor do they have advanced degrees or expensive consultants, but it's just really good, earnest winemaking. I like their wines a great deal, and they represent excellent value when you can find them (which has been getting harder the last few years).

I would describe their style neither as modernist or extremely traditional. They do use barriques to some extent, yet the wines are generally red fruited, pretty, and feminine in style, not big dark bruisers.

I'm speaking in broad terms from various bottlings of theirs (mostly the Sori Burdin) over many years, not about the 2016, which I haven't tried. And as far as I have noticed, they get zero love on this board other than from me, so take my admiration for what it's worth, which may not be much.

O.G. Nikolai
Posts: 5
Joined: December 19th, 2019, 10:24 am

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#5 Post by O.G. Nikolai » March 24th, 2020, 2:25 pm

Fontanabianca. Go for classic normale or for Serraboella 2016 barbaresco. So much fun.

bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#6 Post by bmckenney » March 24th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 2:00 pm
You got Fontanabianca for $20? That's incredible. Is it somewhere I can buy it?

I visited there maybe ten years ago or so. It's the classic old school Italian wine family - husband and wife run the winery and live upstairs in the modest building in the middle of their gorgeous vineyard. Some of the kids and siblings come to help out at harvest and crush. There is nothing the least bit fancy about the people or the place, nor do they have advanced degrees or expensive consultants, but it's just really good, earnest winemaking. I like their wines a great deal, and they represent excellent value when you can find them (which has been getting harder the last few years).

I would describe their style neither as modernist or extremely traditional. They do use barriques to some extent, yet the wines are generally red fruited, pretty, and feminine in style, not big dark bruisers.

I'm speaking in broad terms from various bottlings of theirs (mostly the Sori Burdin) over many years, not about the 2016, which I haven't tried. And as far as I have noticed, they get zero love on this board other than from me, so take my admiration for what it's worth, which may not be much.
No admiration, Chris? That translates to no Gonon cultish exponential price increases. Not that thats going to happen here. I'll post a tasting note up one day for you. Could be a while though.

It was actually $16 US. $23 Canadian. I only bought 6. The one truly great deal, and we don't get many up here, and I only got 6! Here's a picture of the sale. Not sure if the image link will work or not so you might have to manually load it.
Bryan

bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#7 Post by bmckenney » March 24th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 2:00 pm
You got Fontanabianca for $20? That's incredible. Is it somewhere I can buy it?
Chris looks like there is another Fontanabianca fan on WB. See the other post above. You have company
You got me going now. I can get more at the same price but before I order a case I'm going to open one up and give it a swirl tonight. Will report back later.
Bryan

User avatar
Brock Guthrie
Posts: 10
Joined: November 28th, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Vancouver B.C

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#8 Post by Brock Guthrie » March 25th, 2020, 2:11 pm

La Ca’ Nova will be available in both BC and Alberta this coming summer

De Forville barbaresco will be here in April
owner Boutiquewines.ca

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 650
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#9 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » March 25th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Looks like Zachy's had the Fontanabianca on sale for $20, but gone before I could get there...

bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#10 Post by bmckenney » March 25th, 2020, 6:43 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Looks like Zachy's had the Fontanabianca on sale for $20, but gone before I could get there...
Dave I drank one of mine over the last day and I don't like it that much. I think I'm going to return the rest of them and upgrade to something better.
Bryan

User avatar
JulianD
Posts: 744
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 2:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#11 Post by JulianD » March 25th, 2020, 7:06 pm

No mention of Ca del Baio?
Davies

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1381
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#12 Post by Tom Reddick » March 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm

If I may suggest something a bit above your planned max- Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle is really world class in 2016. Always a very good wine, in 2016 it is seriously good. I think I paid around $60 for it- and it is the best QPR play I have tried for the vintage.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

M a x S w o m l e y
Posts: 29
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#13 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 25th, 2020, 8:24 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm
If I may suggest something a bit above your planned max- Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle is really world class in 2016. Always a very good wine, in 2016 it is seriously good. I think I paid around $60 for it- and it is the best QPR play I have tried for the vintage.
Looks like it's on EmpireWine for $50, seems like a solid play. Also, Proddutori's 2016 Barbaresco is on WineLibrary for $35.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1381
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#14 Post by Tom Reddick » March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm

M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:24 pm
Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm
If I may suggest something a bit above your planned max- Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle is really world class in 2016. Always a very good wine, in 2016 it is seriously good. I think I paid around $60 for it- and it is the best QPR play I have tried for the vintage.
Looks like it's on EmpireWine for $50, seems like a solid play. Also, Proddutori's 2016 Barbaresco is on WineLibrary for $35.
Wow- at $50 I would back up the truck. It is not a widely distributed wine in the US, and at that price a no brainer.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

M a x S w o m l e y
Posts: 29
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#15 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm
M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:24 pm
Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm
If I may suggest something a bit above your planned max- Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle is really world class in 2016. Always a very good wine, in 2016 it is seriously good. I think I paid around $60 for it- and it is the best QPR play I have tried for the vintage.
Looks like it's on EmpireWine for $50, seems like a solid play. Also, Proddutori's 2016 Barbaresco is on WineLibrary for $35.
Wow- at $50 I would back up the truck. It is not a widely distributed wine in the US, and at that price a no brainer.
Can you tell my girlfriend that?

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1381
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#16 Post by Tom Reddick » March 25th, 2020, 8:31 pm

M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm
M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:24 pm


Looks like it's on EmpireWine for $50, seems like a solid play. Also, Proddutori's 2016 Barbaresco is on WineLibrary for $35.
Wow- at $50 I would back up the truck. It is not a widely distributed wine in the US, and at that price a no brainer.
Can you tell my girlfriend that?
Haha! I am happily single, so have not had to tackle that aspect of wine collecting.

Here is my TN FWIW,

2016 Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle

2/8/2020 - I like this wine: NR (Edit)
deep red purple color, a tight nose showing a fine breadth of dark spices, on the palate deep blackberry and cherry fruit, waves of herb and bramble notes coated with ripe fruit, quite firm and long finish, with time a great deal of complexity emerges- tea leaves, exotic spices, pointed little dots of complexity giving texture to an alluring and velvety fruit base, where the 2013 was a lovely mid-weight luncheon wine this is more of muscled panther ready to pounce on a large steak, an exceptional wine- all it needs is a brief rest in the cellar.

*(****), 2025-2040
ITB - Cellar appraisals

bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#17 Post by bmckenney » March 25th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:04 pm
If I may suggest something a bit above your planned max- Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle is really world class in 2016. Always a very good wine, in 2016 it is seriously good. I think I paid around $60 for it- and it is the best QPR play I have tried for the vintage.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm interested in upgrading more than downgrading for sure. Looks like the agent in Alberta hasn't brought any in for some time. Their website lists the 2012 only. I'm inquiring on a 6 pack.
Bryan

M a x S w o m l e y
Posts: 29
Joined: March 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#18 Post by M a x S w o m l e y » March 25th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:31 pm
M a x S w o m l e y wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Tom Reddick wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 8:26 pm


Wow- at $50 I would back up the truck. It is not a widely distributed wine in the US, and at that price a no brainer.
Can you tell my girlfriend that?
Haha! I am happily single, so have not had to tackle that aspect of wine collecting.

Here is my TN FWIW,

2016 Cascina della Rose Tre Stelle

2/8/2020 - I like this wine: NR (Edit)
deep red purple color, a tight nose showing a fine breadth of dark spices, on the palate deep blackberry and cherry fruit, waves of herb and bramble notes coated with ripe fruit, quite firm and long finish, with time a great deal of complexity emerges- tea leaves, exotic spices, pointed little dots of complexity giving texture to an alluring and velvety fruit base, where the 2013 was a lovely mid-weight luncheon wine this is more of muscled panther ready to pounce on a large steak, an exceptional wine- all it needs is a brief rest in the cellar.

*(****), 2025-2040
It sounds wonderful, thanks Tom! I usually get to sneak in a couple of bottles with each shipment so I think this will be in my next one from Empire...

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 842
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#19 Post by Joe Chanley » March 26th, 2020, 9:30 am

Brock Guthrie wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 2:11 pm
La Ca’ Nova will be available in both BC and Alberta this coming summer

De Forville barbaresco will be here in April
+1 on both recs

bmckenney
Posts: 444
Joined: September 24th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Location: Alberta, CA

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#20 Post by bmckenney » March 26th, 2020, 9:55 am

Brock Guthrie wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 2:11 pm
La Ca’ Nova will be available in both BC and Alberta this coming summer

De Forville barbaresco will be here in April
I didn't notice your post Brock. And your business. Are you bringing in the 2016s? And is Highlander one of your usual retail clients for these?
Bryan

User avatar
Brock Guthrie
Posts: 10
Joined: November 28th, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Vancouver B.C

Re: Great value plays in 2016 Barbaresco

#21 Post by Brock Guthrie » March 27th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Hey Bryan

De Forville will be the 2016 for La Ca’ Nova it will be the 2017s we do work with highlander

If you want more info you can reach me at info@boutiquewines.ca I’d be happy to help
owner Boutiquewines.ca

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”