TN: 2014 Dirty and Rowdy Sémillon (USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville)

• 2014 Dirty and Rowdy Sémillon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville (3/21/2020)
    Fascinating white that really pushes the briny, salty element. Would be hard pressed to identify this as a semillon except for maybe a slight hint of caramel on the back end. Good balance, no heat and very minerally. (89 pts.)

Poste

Awesome note! Have always really liked this wine and still have a couple left (along with 2 of the II/direct to press). Did you get the feeling this could age for a while? That’s always been my impression so have been planning to try and leave them sideways for a couple more years to see what happens. Maybe Hardy will chime in as well :slight_smile:

Thanks Rich - I have one left. I do think this can go a few more years, perhaps longer, as this was very similar to a bottle I drank in 2018. My next bottle will likely be opened this fall with oysters.

I appreciate this note, have this exact wine in the queue and honestly wasn’t sure how (with what food/moment) to approach it. Thanks!

Love it! Thanks again for the great note Greg!

Greg- Thanks for popping this one. I appreciate you checking in on it!

I dig the '14. I think it is just starting to open up. If anyone still has this, I’d decant it for about 45 and serve cellar temp, or hold for a bit as I think it still has time. I pulled one of each '14 (skin and concrete and the Semillon II) out of the warehouse as things started to get crazy as part of an "oh s*&! case. We’ll pop both soon to check in.

We pick our Sem at similar sugars as Hunter Valley Semillon and then ferment most of it on its skins- It leans more in that direction than anything from BDX. For folks that have them, the '11 and '12 are kind of shining right now (and still have time)- I think the '14 will be the longest lived, and '18 with a decant is open and primary. The upcoming '19 will to be closest in profile to the '14 (lean, 90% rock + 10% fennel, celery, lime juice, orange blossom). It should have a long life.

As far as pairing - I think of our Sems as more crustacean wines vs oyster wines- The skin contact tempers the acidity a bit (it is still high, but not Muscadet or Chablis high). If you go oyster, pick something with a bit of a veg / celery profile. With crustaceans choose preps that involve a heavy dose of herbs (parsley, tarragon,) fennel, celery or briny components (capers) should be in the zone. If you go mollusk, scallops work really well.

Thanks for the tips Hardy!!

Thanks Hardy - sounds like I’ll stick to my plan on hanging onto my 14’s for a bit

Very good detail Hardy, thanks. I remember loving this wine, not sure how one lasted in the cellar so long.

i really dig this wine and i agree that you dont want it to be too cold

Thanks Hardy - we drank this with roasted chicken thighs and definitely improved as it got warmer. That makes sense about the crustacean pairing.

*I just realized my second post should have read it was very similar to the last time we tried it, and that was the basis for concluding this wine can go for more years for sure. I have corrected my mistake above.

Best possible advice for this and virtually all “orange” wines. The good ones are amazing as they warm up from the cellar. My last 14 D&R Semillon a year ago was excellent as was the Direct To Press though completely different.

Tom