Re-corking older bottles

I’m going to take a case of mid 90’s cab’s to an event where someone else will be opening and pouring the wine. I don’t want to rely on the servers to not destroy the corks. Which option would you choose?

A) Take wines as is. Don’t open beforehand.
B) Remove cork and replace with new cork.
C) Remove cork, filter sediment and put back into bottle with new cork.
D) To hell with everyone else, stay home and drink the wine yourself. (note: event is in September, hopefully avoiding any gathering ban)

Wait to see.

Wine event? Can’t even leave my house barely…Must be in Antarctica? [wow.gif]

Too warm this summer.

Have you had wine service at this establishment before? Is it correct?

If it is I’d just leave this to them. If not, I normally opt for C. Both to get the sediment out and ensure the bottle is correct. Not sure I’d want to go through the effort with a whole case though.

Assuming you’re not in CA where restaurants can be irregularly persnicketty about pre-opened bottles of wine I’d go with C. If you are in CA clear it with them beforehand.

With mid-90’s cabs, I’d be comfortable with and of the approaches you propose. I would re-use the cork if it comes out fine and is in good shape if you go option B. If the wines seem to have a bunch of sediment, then C might be the way to go, but I wouldn’t do that too far in advance of the event. A final alternative is to contact the venue beforehand, take your tools with you, arriving early to assist in opening before the event start.

Different places will have different attitudes toward service and whether you are helping or hindering it. The most important factor in your decision is to figure out the attitude where you are going and play it correctly.

Cheers,
fred

bring a Durand and show them. It’s just a case. Takes what, 6 minutes to open 12?

C all day

Yup, C.