My First TN (short/boring/probably inaccurate)

As I said, my first publicly broadcasted TN, mostly to hear others thoughts about Chateau de Fonsalette.

Chateau de Fonsalette Cotes du Rhone Reserve (they’re all reserve) 2003

Pnp to surprising acidity and well balanced alc even in this warm vintage as I understand. Beautiful crystal, pale to medium garnet almost bordering on orange. Burgundy like sharper red fruit such as cranberry, as well as herbal, white pepper and earthy notes on first opening lead to sweeter strawberry and raspberry notes alongside those richer herbal and earth tones by hour 4.

Paid 90 usd for it a few days ago, seemed worth the price of admission based on rarity and my enjoyment.

All criticism considered constructive.

Cheers!

Ryan, that’s a wonderful note! Even if a little surprising for this wine and vintage, but you certainly made me wish I had some to drink [cheers.gif]

Nicely done.

I’d say if you are calling an 03 S Rhone Burgundy like, you have a high tolerance for pain. [wink.gif]

Haha I just meant the red fruit character upon first opening not necessarily the structure, etc. (Be gentle haha) Just wanted to express that to my palate the fruit seemed to open up and become sweeter with time.

Just messing with you. To be an honest taster you have to have a high tolerance for surprises. Always taste the wine. Not the label. Looks like you’ve succeeded. [cheers.gif]

Well, Ryan…short, yes…boring, not…and I should know. Sounds better than I would have expected it to be.
Send us #2 now.
Tom

Thanks all for the kind words! To pontificate further I preferred it in the Riedel Vinum Burgundy over the Bordeaux and I thought it paired brilliantly with my Columbia black-tail venison.

Rayas did very well in 2003 and avoided many of the pitfalls so many fell into in 2003 from the Rayas label to Fonsalette to Domaine des Tours.

All were very light colors, intense aromatics, with kirsch and strawberry.

Great note Ryan.

Thanks Kris!

Great note Ryan - keep them coming.

Well said.

The TN too Ryan, keep them coming. I would have expected a much riper wine, I appreciate the heads up.

Thanks fellas, it’s certainly ripe but just more balanced than I thought it may be given the age and vintage, again ymmv with my accuracy.

Where are you located in Canada? I noticed your remark on the Gramercy thread and not being able to get WA wine easily. Out west? East?
Surprised you were able to procure this wine in Canada. Surprised there are any left in Canada. I do believe I had a couple of these about12 years ago when i started out. 2004 too which was better. I bought a lot of Fonsalette back then. and Pignan. I have a 2005 Pignan that I have been saving and about ready to give a twirl. But never splurged for Rayas. Like Kris said, Rayas did pretty well in that vintage considering. I can see why you would use the Burgandy metaphor. Very much more feminine and a finesse wine. A bit of warmth to it though, but not too distracting. Would be interesting to have a taste today. Check out Beaucastel CdP or the Coudoulet with some age if you like the southern Rhone. Cheaper than Rayas and different, but top tier Rhone. More masculine but same good quality. And if you’re going to spend $90 on a wine, target better vintages for that money. you could have done better for $90 in today’s currency and market IMO. That is my only criticism of your TN! But it is eerily similar to what my first TN would be/was.

Hi Bryan, I’m on Vancouver Island. I buy lots of Washington wine actually, but I’m starting to see it’s only worth the time and money to bring back higher end bottles, atleast with BCs byzantine import laws. Ya I was quite surprised to come across it in a private shop here and knowing the rarity and the unlikelihood of ever getting the chance to try a real Rayas I thought I’d splurge a little bit. I see quite a bit of Beaucastel and I have a couple 16s that I imagine should be held for a decade plus, but any with bottle age I’ve come across have wanted a premium. I should be able to get something mid 2000s though, 2004 is what youd recommend?

Cheers!

super note.

I found the note short, boring and probably inaccurate.

(j/k it was a great note, far better than I could do!!)

Pretty good note! thx for that.

Here’s Andrew Jeffords guide on how to write tasting notes:

1: No fruit salad
Analogical descriptors are useful – if used in moderation. Limit yourself to half a dozen at most, ideally those with some sensual kinship with one another.

2: Remember the structure
A wine’s structure, shape and texture are just as interesting as its aroma and flavour; don’t forget to analyse and describe these.

3: Balance is all
Balance and harmony are highly valued by drinkers, and a hallmark of all great wines. If a wine has these qualities, how? If not, how not? What’s wrong?

4: Be partisan
If you like it, make sure we know that, and why. If you don’t, make sure we know that, and why.

5: Be comprehensive
If you have time, give the wine a little context. Tell us its past and future. Mention other wines from somewhere else it might be useful to compare it with. [Put it in context with its region, its peers, its vintage, other vintages of the same wine, other wines of the producer, etc.]

People mostly forget to really dive into 4 and 5 which I, as I read tasting notes, find the most interesting parts. As a reader it far less interesting to know that you had these 12 different aromas (and I know that a Cheval Blanc has usually a great balance), than why it was a great or a bad experience and how it does compare to other wines from the vitnage, region, same winery, etc., etc.

Wow! Great tips. Thanks to the two Andrews!

Great first note.
We can all now say we followed you from the start!

$90 is actually pretty reasonable for Fonsalette nowadays. You can call yourself lucky just finding some on the shelf. Canada definitely gets Reynaud’s wines, just not much of it - and virtually none of it will hit the shelves.

Loved your TN. One of my favourite wines.