TN: 2007 Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling Alte Reben (Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal)

An interesting tale of one wine over a decade. My note from 11 years ago:

2007 Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling Alte Reben - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (10/10/2009)
Piercing, hammering, mineral acidity is what this young wine is all about right now. There is a decent dose of green apple-tinged fruit, but the mineral and acidity dominate the palate so much it’s hard to get a bead on the fruit. I have loved this wine in older vintages like 01, 02, 05, but 07 is quite unyielding in its youth. I have a couple more that will be put away for at least 6-8 years, when the wine will hopefully blossom, and the score skyrocket (89 pts.)

And today:

2007 Schloss Gobelsburg Riesling Alte Reben - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (3/23/2020)
Bit of medium light golden color, lightly floral/petrol nose, quite rich on the palate, with nicely balancing acidity and some umami hints, showing a bit of development but plenty of life ahead, this is really in a perfect place. A wonderful Riesling. (93 pts.)

Don’t you love when a prediction comes to pass? [cheers.gif]

No surprise! Their Riesling Gaisberg is just the same. I don’t know how much people age their Austrian dry whites but I feel pretty confident that a lot of it is drunk way too young. Thanks for the notes, great to get the comparison.

I age mine, up to 20 years, though I think the sweet spot is 10-15. This was an impressive transition, looking back at the original note. I never look at old notes before I write a new one, and frankly didn’t even remember I had posted that 2009 one until I saw it.

One of my favorite addresses. Thanks!

You are a fine role model for the rest of us and have just managed to remind me about getting some more Austrian whites for the cellar champagne.gif

You are now the president of my fan club. Would be nice to have more than one member [wow.gif]

Personally, I get the same pleasure from a great aged Riesling as from a great aged white burg. And, they are much more affordable, and have almost no instances of premox.

Well cheers to that [cheers.gif]

I am right with you there regarding the joys of an aged Riesling. Without a doubt Riesling is the smart buy for the cellar in all possible ways. That said I personally find myself buying more and more white burgs - it’s funny how hard it is to act rationally sometimes.