TN: 2000 Raveneau Montée de Tonnerre

mountain of thunder indeed—in the zone and it would stay there for another decade (but not this bottle). The depth of flavor and cool menthol tame the wild layers of flavor. With a citrus center, it stays focused while providing a kaleidoscope of flavors. The texture is oh so soft as it lays on the palate and then just drives through into my brain. “Iron fist in a velvet glove” was used to describe claret but it works here. Grand cru in all but name, the finish may get me through the next two weeks of being dry. It just echoed. The term head spinning is apt.

I have enjoyed the 02 before, which stunned me.

This is the only bottle of Raveneau I own. The previous bottle was tremendous. I’m just hoping it’s not corked.

Nice bottle for a Monday night Doc, sounds like it was rocking.

Great, great wine. Sadly over half of my case was affected by tca!

I remember the Sommelier at Taillevent warning me about this sometime around 2006. He said they’d returned a large % of their allocation due to TCA. He recommended Leflaive’s 2000s instead which was a good call, then and even more so now

Mine too , although not 50 % . Btw , Montee de tonnerre is an old road on a steep hill towards the village Tonnerre . Montee is a climb .

NICE! This is my favorite from Chez Raveneau because I can afford it (most of the time) and it overdelivers. Thanks for the note.

of course Mont is mountain. I was just having fun.

ouch! I bought half of a case, safe so far, but two bottles left. Fingers crossed!
On a side note: I wanted to buy three bottles of the 2000 Raveneau Les Clos as it is the birth year of my daughter. Retailer said he won’t let me cherry picking, I would have to buy 6 bottles of Montée de Tonnerre in order to get the 3 Les Clos. I gave in, and added 3 Blanchot. The price was 45€ for the Les Clos, 40€ for the Blanchot and 30€ for the MdT. Unfortunately, he retired soon after.

you could send your kid to college on the value of those wines now.

Put my favorite vineyard together with arguably the best producer and expect nothing but fireworks.