3 Brilliant Reds

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jeremy Holmes

3 Brilliant Reds

#1 Post by Jeremy Holmes » March 23rd, 2020, 4:26 pm

1968 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano: Plenty of Moroccan spice to the nose along with some meat, leather, hazelnut, iron and florals. Vinous sweetness builds at its core and there’s so much savoury nuance. It has great presence and authority and finishes with a gentle flex of muscle and some balsamic tang.

2017 Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Echezeaux, Grand Cru: So expressive, with a beautiful perfume of rose petal, sandalwood, cherries, root vegetables and earth. It is deep and layered, with a velvety feel. There’s fabulous detail and a finish that fans out and drives on and on. Brilliant wine.

2001 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot: Absolutely in the zone. Complex aromatics of decaying plant matter, black earth, leather, strawberry and spice. It is so calm and even in the mouth, with so many interesting savoury things going on. The palate is vinous silk and there is no artifice whatsoever. Flavours linger and each sniff and sip reveals something new.
ITB

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 3 Brilliant Reds

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 23rd, 2020, 4:27 pm

[cheers.gif]
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by John Morris » March 23rd, 2020, 4:52 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 4:26 pm
2001 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot: Absolutely in the zone. Complex aromatics of decaying plant matter, black earth, leather, strawberry and spice. It is so calm and even in the mouth, with so many interesting savoury things going on. The palate is vinous silk and there is no artifice whatsoever. Flavours linger and each sniff and sip reveals something new.
Please, Jeremy! Have some consideration for the sensitive readers here. Sous bois is the polite term.

Oh, and I should add that I’m utterly jealous.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Carl Steefel

#4 Post by Carl Steefel » March 23rd, 2020, 5:13 pm

This Allemand was my first and so far only Allemand, tasted in 2014. I have to say I was a bit suspicious that was another(?) Kermit Lynch hyped wine, but it was gorgeous even back then, although certainly on the younger side. The wine also sold me yet again on Cornas, which seems to have a distinct personality and character within the northern Rhone. Have looked for another bottle over the years, but always seemed to pricey (the Kermit Lynch effect...)...

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by RyanC » March 23rd, 2020, 5:15 pm

Phenomenal.
C@ughey

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by John Morris » March 23rd, 2020, 5:25 pm

Carl Steefel wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:13 pm
This Allemand was my first and so far only Allemand, tasted in 2014. I have to say I was a bit suspicious that was another(?) Kermit Lynch hyped wine, but it was gorgeous even back then, although certainly on the younger side. The wine also sold me yet again on Cornas, which seems to have a distinct personality and character within the northern Rhone. Have looked for another bottle over the years, but always seemed to pricey (the Kermit Lynch effect...)...
I don't think it's just the Kermit effect. There isn't a lot of that wine and it's now recognized as one of the top Northern Rhones.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Jeremy Holmes

#7 Post by Jeremy Holmes » March 23rd, 2020, 7:08 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 4:52 pm
Jeremy Holmes wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 4:26 pm
Please, Jeremy! Have some consideration for the sensitive readers here. Sous bois is the polite term.
Apologies for the confusion John. I will use Sous Bois next time and hope that there is a note of toast too so that I can trot out “pain grillé.
ITB

Carl Steefel

#8 Post by Carl Steefel » March 23rd, 2020, 7:58 pm

John Morris wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:25 pm
Carl Steefel wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:13 pm
I don't think it's just the Kermit effect. There isn't a lot of that wine and it's now recognized as one of the top Northern Rhones.
I agree 100%. I was suspicious, but it turned out I was wrong. The Allemand was beautiful then, and from Jeremy's description, now.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Joshua Kates » March 24th, 2020, 4:18 am

Great notes as always, Jeremy,

I can almost taste that Giacosa--sounds like a remarkable bottle from what was not necessarily the greatest year in Piedmont, eh?
Mark Twain, when asked whether he believed in child baptism, replied: "Believe in it? I've seen it!"

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Bill Sweeney » March 24th, 2020, 5:20 am

Reading your descriptions I can almost taste them. Thanks.

Return to “Wine Talk”