TN: 2016 Montrose

I had a single 375 of this, so decided to crack it just to get a closer (early) look at the 2016 Bordeaux. Earlier I had a single bottle of the 2016 Prieure Lichine, which is a dramatically overperforming wine from the vintage, even if in terms of complexity and nuance it does not rise to the level of the Big Boys of the vintage. So decided to try the 2016 Montrose, which on Day One showed mostly oak and big ripe fruit, the oak swamping the natural tannins of the wine. Fortunately I had no more than a sip, than put away until the next day. On Day 2, the Montrose is a different beast, the oak is now in the background and a subtler aromatic profile of green leaf tobacco with a suggestion of exotic Oriental spice emerges. The tannins are now ultra-fine, both in the sense that Clive Coates used the word, but also ultra fine-grained. On Day 2, the elegance and remarkable balance of this wine is apparent, clearly this is a great wine in the making. So while there is some pleasure to be had here, I cannot see this transitioning from primary in less than 20 years, so pretty much in keeping with the normal profile of a Grand Cru Classe from a great vintage.

This wine is a new benchmark for Montrose.

God I love Montrose, and that 20 years is so true to form for them in great years, which is why my old ass is not buying. And bummed! I did buy 2014 but did not 2010. The 2005 was my last Montrose from a big structured vintage.

Hard to recognize as a Saint Estephe. I guess I would have identified it blind as a Margaux with its perfume…

How do you feel it compared to the 2000 or 2003 when young?

I cannot believe it, but I have the 2003 and have never tasted. I will hopefully report back in a day or two.

By comparison, I had the 1990 Montrose, maybe a controversial wine, but very impressive in its own style. But this was more a big brute force St Estephe, versus the perfumed Margaux look-a-like that the 2016 is. But it would be interesting to compare to the 2003. I don’t think I have the 2000…

Or the 1928?

The first sign of aging is nervousness about whether to buy young Bordeaux vintages.

HA!

So, we agree that this is a sign you are aging???

I’d say maturing.

Fu and Todd can confirm that I look 35 but act 21.

2015 was my last EP buy. I am 60 and I am not pessimistic but realistic :slight_smile:

Similar point of view, I’m 59 and 2016 was my last futures campaign. I did buy a 375 and 2 750’s of Montrose just to give me something to look forward to :slight_smile:

Or be willing to drink them young…

At current release price, I’d rather backfill first more mature vintages. More mature wine and close in price. A young Montrose is tough.

Except that as discussed, it is a bit different.

My problem with Bordeaux is that after the initial “honeymoon period”, it shuts down and does not come out for 15-20 years. So an 8-10 Big Boy Bordeaux is probably going to drink worse than a newly minted one…

You guys are chickens. I am 66 (63 at purchase) and took a half case. I plan to drink well in my 80’s [berserker.gif]

I have bad genes!

My dad drank classic wines, then his palate at 70, died. At 80 he loves drinking wine but it needs to be a cult Cali or something by Rolland or Cambie, lol.

I bought a mag of the 2008 for reasons that escape me now. I mean, it was a “bargain,” but I can’t imagine the circumstances at the nursing home that will prompt me to open it

I have hopes it will be found to have palliative properties when the next pandemic rolls around in 2038.