Checking In On TimSpear/Clos Mimi???

In these scarey times, my mind oft wanders down strange alleys. The wines of Clos Mimi happened to come to mind. These were full-throttle/
over the top/high alcohol Paso wines made by Tim Spear. They were highly liked in Monktown. They were a bit too OTP to my tastes. Google tells me
that Tim now sells luxury real estate down in LosAngles.
Has anyone tried one of the Clos Mimi wines in recent yrs?? Can’t imagine that they’ve held up.
I notice there is a Spear Wnry down in the Sta.Rita Hills. Wines made by Ofer Shepher. Nothing to do with Tim. Anybody familiar with those wines??
Tom

I’ve heard good things about the SRH Spear wines from several people but have not had the chance to try any yet.

Had a Bunny Slope years ago that had turned. I found this link when searching for the name of the bottling. Seems like they lost their license for some infraction Clos Mimi Loses License To Buy Wine Grapes | Wine Industry Insight I do remember when they were well thought of 15-20 years ago.

Yes, Greg Brewer introduced me to them a couple years ago in Los Alamos as he had been an early consultant. Shepher translates to ‘Spear’. Until recently, Kat Gaffney was winemaker. Beautiful estate on 246. I went out there once before sunrise and did some photography in the vineyard. Pretty solid wines, no relation to Clos Mimi. I haven’t seen Tim in 20 years, I hope the change is good for him!

I can’t remember the vintage but I liked the petite rousee bottling. Went through a couple cases

Mind wandering down the same strange alley.
Any update on the Spear wines of late?
Tom

I thought Tim quit making wines years ago and was selling real estate in LA?

https://www.rodeore.com/real-estate-agent/512/tim-spear

I’ll never forget that 19% naturally fermented Rosé…

I still have one. Can’t wait to check on it.

OMG, really? Looking forward to reading your note! That one was nutz!

I had the red wine version (Cuvee Etiquette) many, many moons ago when Michael Greenlee was still at Gotham. He served it double blind with blue cheese. Boy did it really need the blue cheese! Arguably the single most ridiculous wine I’ve ever had. I couldn’t finish the glass, but at least I got to try it.

Michael Greenlee! Been a few years since I saw him. He was running Pig Bleecker which I think closed.

1 Like

He is Robert… in Beverly Hills. Don’t think he has anything to do with this Wnry. See my OP above.
Tom

19%. Wow. Port is for wimps.

Greenlee told me it was 19.8% actually. Just nuts.

I was sad to hear Tim had stopped making wine. I have a few Clos Mimi’s left in my cellar including a 2002 Etiquette. But most recently I bought 4 2004 McGinley at autcion and so far the one I had was excellent, it even had some cork staining. We did taste a 2008 Lillian that night also, the Close Mimi was more refined and extracted.

Maybe Tim will come back to wine making. flirtysmile

I have gotten Grenache from the Spear Vineyard and will continue to do so as well - a cooler climate site that produces a floral and bright raspberry version of the variety, very different than the other sites I work with.

Cheers.