TN: 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Shake Ridge Ranch

• 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Shake Ridge Ranch - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County (3/21/2020)
    Opened for the Dirty & Rowdy virtual tasting of Shake Ridge Ranch Mourvèdre, as I did not yet receive my 2018. So glad I opened this, as it was absolutely smoking! Open for business without a decant, it immediately conjured up warm, dusty earth, as if I was walking the vineyard in August. Then the sunshiney red fruit, with all its California sweetness came in, along with brushy herbs, rose, menthol and nutmeg spice. The fruit led the palate, and almost seemed sweet, but then the acidity kicked in, and the earth and herbal elements joined on the mid-palate. Amazing how much flavor was packed into such a light bodied wine. It was like a lightweight fighter who could knock you on your ass with one punch. Gorgeous wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Sounds delicious David. Did not get a chance to open anything today but the virtual tasting was very cool. That rosy-menthol violet note sure is a Shake Ridge signature!

Here is a tasting note of a different wine of Jolie Laide from Shake Ridge but I specify D&R as a reference.

2017 Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre (GSM) Shake Ridge Ranch: Scott mentioned that Rossi Ranch was being replanted so what does he do. Gets coveted Shake Ridge Ranch fruit! Scott said rather than make a single variety he wanted to make a blend that showed off the different soils and micro climates of the site. All the fruit was picked together and cofermented whole cluster. This wine has it all, raspberry cherry fruit with lovely rosy-violet aromas, white pepper, spice and some earthy green olive notes.
I sometimes think we all (winemakers and consumers) go overboard on site location and what it provides. Having said that this wine shows that same expressive rosy-violet floral aroma you see in every wine from this site (Dirty&Rowdy as an example). Best of all this wine is not a one off as there is an 2018 and 2019 vintage. 13% ABV

I adored this too when I opened it a few months ago. So much energy and flavor.

Had this a few days ago and it is in a great place. The nose on this was ripe plums in a way I’ve never had in a wine before with a background of citrus fruit that leaned to grapefruit. Light bodied with earthy/herbs going on in that D&R way. Seamless wine that was a pleasure to drink, time has been kind to this one. Could be the best D&R I’ve had.

6 Likes