Which vintage Burlotto Monvigliero to open?

Hi,

It’s my mother’s birthday tonight and I want to open something unique and interesting that she has never tried before. I figured that Burlotto’s Monvigliero would fit the bill. Question is, which vintage? I have 2008-2015, although I would prefer to open 2010+ since I didn’t buy as deep in the 2008 and 2009 vintages (stupid, I know). Of these vintages, which vintage is drinking best right now?

Also, should I pop and pour? slow-ox? decant? double decant?

Thanks!

I know it sounds crazy, but I had the 15 recently and it was drinking great, extremely civilized for such a young Barolo

+1

I had the ‘15 in Italy last summer and it was open and gorgeous. Could be closing up since then? Otherwise I’d probably go with the ‘09, but that’s just based on reading CT. FWIW I have some 2009s on the way and intend to open one in the next few weeks.

A friend poured me a ‘standard’ 2011 Burlotto Barolo this week and it was delightfully elegant and already in fine drinking form. I have enjoyed a few Barolos from '11 over the last year, being a warmer, more forward vintage so I would plump for that. Or possibly the '09 which was also a warmer year.

Not surprised to hear the 15’ is drinking well.

Have been tempted to open my last 08’ based on how it was drinking a few years back…I’m sure it’s getting toward prime time these days, but I’m no rush.

So long as we’re on the subject, how is the 2006 doing? I have a lone bottle waiting for the right time.

Has anyone tried the 12? That might be another option.

The '15 is wide open and just about the most delicious young Barolo I have had.

Another vote for the 15.

I did this past summer and it was not in a good spot. Granted it was pnp, but still…

Another vote for the '15. I had it two weeks ago off of a restaurant wine list. Smoking right now.

+1 on the 2015 Monvigliero. Re: 2008 vs 2009 - go with 2009, a warmer vintage which should be drinking beautifully now. As for 2008, that could be a coin flip. I haven’t had the 2008 Monvigliero but results on a range of other 2008s has been mixed, some great but very young and primary; others advancing… 2006 Fuggedaboudit - don’t know of ANY quality 2006s that are near ready. Cheers,

This! Had it in January (2020) and it is plain gorgeous…

Haven’t had Monvigliero, but extrapolating from other Barolo 2006’s I’ve had, this is stuff you need to hide in the darkest corner of your cellar. The wines from this vintage are really for the long haul.

Of course its’ neighbor, the 05, might be drinking well

Don’t have any '15, but the '09’s are definitely in the zone. I’ve drunk 2 in the last two years and they are pretty ready to go, though a couple hour decant (or more) never hurts.

The '14 was surprisingly open and giving around 3 weeks ago.

Ended up opening a 2011 and it was singing with about 2 hours of air. All this talk of the 2015 makes me want to pop one soon!

I agree the 2015 is delicious as were the other Burlotto 15s we tried a few months ago, including Cannubi which is on a par with Monvigliero. I have just started on my case of 04 Monvigliero. In a very good place.