Any tips on Video Tastings?

I know there have only been a couple video tastings since we’ve been “social distancing” but my small group of 6 people are going to Zoom tonight to get ourselves started in this new age of video tastings.

We have all registered our Zoom accounts and are ready to go. But is there anything people have picked up on they would suggest in advance to enhance the experience?

Thanks and I hope everyone is making the best of the situation.

Cheers!

One thing I have enjoyed is switching the virtual background around, i.e. the backdrop behind your camera image that can be edited with any photo you may have on your device. I’d also suggest that you invite everyone to be part of this. Remember, not everyone in the world is an Extravert so be mindful of those who are quieter and allow them to have some time to talk.

I haven’t done one yet, but if you have a small group, one consideration is to have each participant open a bottle of the same wine. That way, you can actually mimic being together better and compare impressions and have a little more meaningful wine focused discussion. (unless you are wine stingy, you could then also each open a different wine, and have a different sort of discussion).

Wear pants.

More useful might be cooking something. Have everybody make the same dish and see who goes off the rails. And then everyone pair the wine of their choice with it.

And definitely the pants.

Where do you put the spit bucket?

Thanks for the tips, especially Patrick. I now know why everyone was gawking at me this morning at the grocery store. (whew!)

Frank, if this thing lingers we’ll have to schedule a Kutch-focused video tasting.

Thanks again!

I have not found that to be an issue blush

Since you have a regular tasting group, I’d also suggest having a bit of topical direction. It could be the same wine/style of wine, but it doesn’t have to be.

• show and tell (show me your favorite bottle/varietal and tell us a story about it)
  • what was a wine “aha!” moment
  • best wine to drink in ________
  • best wine to drink with ________

People may also want to talk about current events in a way that they wouldn’t talk about them with their spouse/kids/etc. So they may feel more comfortable talking about that in your group.

I’d also suggest a fixed amount of time. People can always stay later but a fixed ending gives folks permission to leave.

Good luck and please report back.

Patrick, you look nothing like your avatar. Was cool to meet you this week on the sessions.

Kevin, I would be down for a video tasting with Kutch, and if you like, we can float Jamie an invite, as I’m sure he would enjoy the format. Do you have anyone else in your circle the buys Kutch?

I would love to participate in a Kutch tasting.

As long as the app is Zoom and the aim is accurate you’re ok. Don’t use Pan. :slight_smile:

Buek and Kevin, I will send Jamie a note and see if he would like to join a Kutch virtual event. I’d also be willing to set it up and coordinate it, much like Frenchie has for the WB virtual events we have been doing this week.

Kutch event is posted for feedback, guys. Please see other thread if you are interested.

Kevin, don’t mean to hijack your topic, man, Just trying to close the loop here.

Did a virtual happy hour with buddies yesterday. Four of us in town and one in Switzerland. We were all drinking different stuff and not all wine. But, it was actually a lot of fun. We just used FaceTime and it worked fine. Never used Zoom.

We had a virtual wine tasting yesterday with a total of 22 participants dialling in and out over a 5 hour period. The most we had at any given time was 8. Skype was actually quiet suitable for this purpose and worked without a glitch. Some had issues with their audio which were most likely related to their privacy settings on their computers. I would therefore recommend to do a quick test call to keep things as smooth as possible. Since everyone can speak at the same time some restraint is required. That is also applicable for folks who just love to hear their own voice. We did not have any of those issues.

Skype is only displaying the four most active participants on the monitor. The remaining members are acknowledged by their little round symbol in the top right corner. You have the option of muting yourself or others as well. I have no experience with Zoom which is fee based but apparently it offers additional features which might be useful, especially for larger groups. Would love to hear your feedback.

Whatever platform you are using, it is certainly a great way to stay in touch and have some fun.

No worries at all. Had a little fun with it in the new thread. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for setting it up. It will be a lot of fun!

Zoom is super easy. Load the app and click on the link from the organizer.

FMIII, Seiber, and Sean jumped on one last night since we had to cancel our dinner.

It was fun. Wine talk was nice but catching up was better. I felt good afterwards.

I’d say just jump on even if you’re not a geek. Chicken soup for the soul.

biggest suggestion I can come up with after several zoom meetings this week (and a zoom workout class my wife did) is turn off your mic if you’re not currently trying to talk. especially if you happen to be in a noisy place or home