TN: 2013 Cayuse Syrah Cailloux

Opened two days ago. Initially there was overwhelming funk. A day later the typical Cayuse profile started to show - tannin, bacon, blackberry, maybe some iron, still some funk. On day 2 the funk was gone, but the flavors were starting to recede and it was still harsh. Best after being open a day, but still disappointing. This is similar to my experience with a 2012 Cailloux a coupe of months ago. The 2012 never did get drinkable. I used to love Cayuse, but it’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a bottle. Either my palate has changed or I’m opening them way too early.

My experience also and I’ve stopped buying. The ‘funk’ may or may not be Brett but it is no longer to my taste. I drink mainly old world syrah so I’m not totally averse but some are no longer in my wheelhouse. I doubt my absence will be noticed from the Cayuse list- he has no shortage of acolytes .

Opened up an 08 Cailloux last night and it had the most “integrated” funk upon pnp I’ve had from a Christophe offering (although my experience is limited to a dozen or so). The funk, bacon, blueberry, black cherry, floral notes were all in harmony, leading to one of my better wine experiences.

I find a lot of bottle variation with Cayuse. I have loved some bottles and dumped others down the drain, sometimes of the same wine. Some are way too funky for me.

I think you are right. I’ve looked at CT notes for both the 2012 and 2013 Cailloux and they are nothing like my experience. But, I’ve also noticed that bottles >10 yr old seem to be better.
My last really good bottle was an 07 En Chamberlain. I poured it for a Cayuse hater and he was impressed with how well balanced it was. So I think I’ll just wait for a few years.

The amount of variability spurred me to sell some of my Cayuse. I kept some too and will hope for the best, while being happy that I am not as committed as I once was. Dumping a bottle of wine down the drain at those prices is very unappealing.

I experienced the same thing with Reynvaan. Loved it, then lots of variation, then disliked it, then sold it. I am not on the Cayuse list but have picked up a few on CC. I guess I need to check in on them.