Opened 5 bottles of wine and none taste right

First bottle was a 2010 Beaucastel Coudoulet. Could not taste any fruit. Very astringent. Predominant harsh mourvedre taste. Poured it down the drain. Second bottle, same wine. Similar but not as severe. Drinkable, but barely. Not enjoyable. I’m curious to see how the second bottle is over the next day or two. I recently had a 2009 coudoulet from my storage that was just excellent.

Opened up (3) 375ml 2007 il poggione brunello next. Very similar to the second Coudoulet. Not enjoyable. Astringent. Its like the fruit is being filtered out. I’ve had many 375ml 2006 from storage in the last couple of months and none were like this. I opened all three at once instead of one at a time because I need some wine for a dinner tonight so was thinking volume. Should have opened one to start and stopped.

Last night a 2009 monsanto CCR tasted great.

I started taking zinc today with the daily supplemental vitamins. I have read that zinc can affect taste but not sure on the details of that yet.

I’m going to open some kit wine I have and mostly use for cooking instead of experimenting with good wine and see how that goes. And continue to see how the already opened wine tastes. Its pretty weird. Is it the zinc? Something else?

Sounds like your tastebuds have hit the skids. Divvy up your cellar amongst the members who reply to this thread.

The zinc might be your problem. Stop it and wait for 4 or 5 days.

Never give up on a bottle. After 4 days if still bad give up!

There’s lots of medical professionals on the board, and I am not one of them. That said, definitely look into the zinc and its side effects. It’s pretty well established that zinc nasal sprays can lead to a permanent loss of smell. Seems a bit surprising that it can have such a dramatic effect almost immediately, but …

you guys wouldn’t even use my wines for cooking. I have zero burgandy/pinot and only 1 bottle of Baudry Chinon.

The zinc supplements always screw up my palate.

Consider getting tested. Changes in smell and ability to taste have been associated with coronavirus.

Also these stressful days are not helping. I opened a favorite half bottle of Rhys Chardonnay yesterday and it tasted off. I’m pretty sure that it me. Switched to whiskey. Tasted the chard today and it is fine.

Im glad to hear that. I should not have poured out the first one as suggested above, but it was shockingly bad. I did not notice anything drinking a watered down fruit juice during the day. And food was fine.

I’m going to open a bottle of kit wine and try that. Something more fruit forward - Amarone. And also a beer. In the name of science. I wouldn’t be surprised that wine is the most affected by this. Full disclaimer: I did double the zinc dose because it was the first time.

How long does a zinc supplement affect your palate?

that’s for sure. Stress is much higher. Whiskey sounds like the right remedy.

Better 1 than none!

ooooo… [wow.gif]

Have you eaten any pine nuts recently?

I have not. But what that can do sure sounds like what it is. Bitter. Metallic. Have you experienced that from pine nuts before?

If I eat ice cream, gelato or frozen yogurt, the rest of that day, wine tastes metallic and bitter. Started when I was in my mid 30s, still happens.

At first, I just thought certain bottles I’d had were bad bottles or bad wines. I finally made the connection on a visit to Montalcino, after having an afternoon gelato.

It’s the zinc. why were you taking it? there’s almost no reason that you should need to take zinc unless you have a short list of serious medical illnesses. Yes it can shorten the duration of a cold for about 12 hours, but it’s not worth it.

Been using Zinc lozenges, infrequently, for decades. Very skeptical about their value for common colds. They’re more like lousy tasting candy…but can help you feel like you’re doing something. They F-up your tastebuds…and the cold doesn’t help.

RT

[wow.gif] He’s not only a doctor in real life but he plays one one the Internet too. I’d listen to him.

Bryan will be able to get a test if he has a signed note from Dr. Levine, plus another one certifying that he’s Lebron James.