Opened 5 bottles of wine and none taste right

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
bmckenney

Opened 5 bottles of wine and none taste right

#1 Post by bmckenney » March 20th, 2020, 3:15 pm

First bottle was a 2010 Beaucastel Coudoulet. Could not taste any fruit. Very astringent. Predominant harsh mourvedre taste. Poured it down the drain. Second bottle, same wine. Similar but not as severe. Drinkable, but barely. Not enjoyable. I'm curious to see how the second bottle is over the next day or two. I recently had a 2009 coudoulet from my storage that was just excellent.

Opened up (3) 375ml 2007 il poggione brunello next. Very similar to the second Coudoulet. Not enjoyable. Astringent. Its like the fruit is being filtered out. I've had many 375ml 2006 from storage in the last couple of months and none were like this. I opened all three at once instead of one at a time because I need some wine for a dinner tonight so was thinking volume. Should have opened one to start and stopped.

Last night a 2009 monsanto CCR tasted great.

I started taking zinc today with the daily supplemental vitamins. I have read that zinc can affect taste but not sure on the details of that yet.

I'm going to open some kit wine I have and mostly use for cooking instead of experimenting with good wine and see how that goes. And continue to see how the already opened wine tastes. Its pretty weird. Is it the zinc? Something else?
Last edited by bmckenney on March 20th, 2020, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan

Ian S

Re: Opened 5 bottles of wine and none taste right

#2 Post by Ian S » March 20th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Sounds like your tastebuds have hit the skids. Divvy up your cellar amongst the members who reply to this thread.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by mattcitrang » March 20th, 2020, 3:22 pm

The zinc might be your problem. Stop it and wait for 4 or 5 days.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Glas » March 20th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Never give up on a bottle. After 4 days if still bad give up!

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Scott Jameson » March 20th, 2020, 3:37 pm

There's lots of medical professionals on the board, and I am not one of them. That said, definitely look into the zinc and its side effects. It's pretty well established that zinc nasal sprays can lead to a permanent loss of smell. Seems a bit surprising that it can have such a dramatic effect almost immediately, but ...

bmckenney

#6 Post by bmckenney » March 20th, 2020, 3:39 pm

Ian S wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Sounds like your tastebuds have hit the skids. Divvy up your cellar amongst the members who reply to this thread.
you guys wouldn't even use my wines for cooking. I have zero burgandy/pinot and only 1 bottle of Baudry Chinon.
Bryan

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » March 20th, 2020, 3:41 pm

The zinc supplements always screw up my palate.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 20th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Consider getting tested. Changes in smell and ability to taste have been associated with coronavirus.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by robert creth » March 20th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Also these stressful days are not helping. I opened a favorite half bottle of Rhys Chardonnay yesterday and it tasted off. I’m pretty sure that it me. Switched to whiskey. Tasted the chard today and it is fine.

bmckenney

#10 Post by bmckenney » March 20th, 2020, 4:21 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:41 pm
The zinc supplements always screw up my palate.
Im glad to hear that. I should not have poured out the first one as suggested above, but it was shockingly bad. I did not notice anything drinking a watered down fruit juice during the day. And food was fine.

I'm going to open a bottle of kit wine and try that. Something more fruit forward - Amarone. And also a beer. In the name of science. I wouldn't be surprised that wine is the most affected by this. Full disclaimer: I did double the zinc dose because it was the first time.

How long does a zinc supplement affect your palate?
Bryan

bmckenney

#11 Post by bmckenney » March 20th, 2020, 4:25 pm

robert creth wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Also these stressful days are not helping. I opened a favorite half bottle of Rhys Chardonnay yesterday and it tasted off. I’m pretty sure that it me. Switched to whiskey. Tasted the chard today and it is fine.
that's for sure. Stress is much higher. Whiskey sounds like the right remedy.
Bryan

Markus S

#12 Post by Markus S » March 20th, 2020, 4:47 pm

bmckenney wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:39 pm
...only 1 bottle of Baudry Chinon.
Better 1 than none!
$ _ € ® e . k @

Markus S

#13 Post by Markus S » March 20th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Consider getting tested. Changes in smell and ability to taste have been associated with coronavirus.
ooooo.... [wow.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Doug Schulman » March 20th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Have you eaten any pine nuts recently?

bmckenney

#15 Post by bmckenney » March 20th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Doug Schulman wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 5:10 pm
I have not. But what that can do sure sounds like what it is. Bitter. Metallic. Have you experienced that from pine nuts before?
Bryan

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chris Seiber » March 20th, 2020, 5:32 pm

If I eat ice cream, gelato or frozen yogurt, the rest of that day, wine tastes metallic and bitter. Started when I was in my mid 30s, still happens.

At first, I just thought certain bottles I’d had were bad bottles or bad wines. I finally made the connection on a visit to Montalcino, after having an afternoon gelato.

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by john stimson » March 20th, 2020, 9:48 pm

It's the zinc. why were you taking it? there's almost no reason that you should need to take zinc unless you have a short list of serious medical illnesses. Yes it can shorten the duration of a cold for about 12 hours, but it's not worth it.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#18 Post by Richard T r i m p i » March 21st, 2020, 6:21 am

john stimson wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 9:48 pm
It's the zinc. why were you taking it? there's almost no reason that you should need to take zinc unless you have a short list of serious medical illnesses. Yes it can shorten the duration of a cold for about 12 hours, but it's not worth it.
Been using Zinc lozenges, infrequently, for decades. Very skeptical about their value for common colds. They're more like lousy tasting candy...but can help you feel like you're doing something. They F-up your tastebuds...and the cold doesn't help.

RT

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Brian Tuite » March 21st, 2020, 6:47 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
[wow.gif] He’s not only a doctor in real life but he plays one one the Internet too. I’d listen to him.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Craig G » March 21st, 2020, 7:19 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 6:47 am
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
[wow.gif] He’s not only a doctor in real life but he plays one one the Internet too. I’d listen to him.
Bryan will be able to get a test if he has a signed note from Dr. Levine, plus another one certifying that he’s Lebron James.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Doug Schulman » March 21st, 2020, 7:26 am

bmckenney wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Doug Schulman wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 5:10 pm
I have not. But what that can do sure sounds like what it is. Bitter. Metallic. Have you experienced that from pine nuts before?
Fortunately not. It does sound like what you’re describing, though. I guess it’s not the cause.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by David Glasser » March 21st, 2020, 8:08 am

I give you credit for persistence!
Agree with those saying it’s likely the zinc supplement.

bmckenney

#23 Post by bmckenney » March 21st, 2020, 9:01 am

My wife read that zinc helps the immune system and given whats going on right now we added to the daily supplemental's. I wont be taking it again after yesterday.

The amarone kit wine test had the same result but not as dramatic.
Beer seemed fine. A cocktail was fine.

Its like the better the wine, the worse the taste. and its more dramatic with wine compared to other beverages. If you want to take a break from wine but lack the resolve, take zinc every day. The effect on my taste buds was so dramatically bad, I could not drink wine. Maybe the degree varies by person though.

Taste did start to bounce back this morning. Il Pogginone tasted very fine with breakfast (paired reasonably well with granola and yogurt, or maybe I was just so happy to have my taste back).
Bryan

Arv R

#24 Post by Arv R » March 21st, 2020, 9:15 am

Maybe it was a root day?
R_@_0

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#25 Post by larry schaffer » March 21st, 2020, 9:21 am

Here's what I'm confused about, though. It sounds like you started taking zinc the day AFTER you opened up a number of wines - or am I wrong on the timeline.

Diet in general can affect your taste buds and it's good to note this. I also agree that there is no reason to pour any wine down the drain immediately unless it has high VA or is overtly oxidized. Show some patience and see what happens - worst case scenario is you toss it in a few days; best case is you have a wine that blossoms . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » March 21st, 2020, 9:37 am

Yup. Zinc. Always for me. I’d rather be sick and enjoy my wine that ruin my palate with zinc.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

TerryD

#27 Post by TerryD » March 21st, 2020, 10:00 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
Seems plausible and could be an important thing to be aware of as an early tell. Been a long time since I've had cold/flu that did a number on my taste buds but its happened.
Terry Dement

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » March 21st, 2020, 10:27 am

It’s being widely reported people, no joke. All I do is communicate with docs overseas and watch webinars.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

bmckenney

#29 Post by bmckenney » March 21st, 2020, 12:35 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:21 am
Here's what I'm confused about, though. It sounds like you started taking zinc the day AFTER you opened up a number of wines - or am I wrong on the timeline.

Diet in general can affect your taste buds and it's good to note this. I also agree that there is no reason to pour any wine down the drain immediately unless it has high VA or is overtly oxidized. Show some patience and see what happens - worst case scenario is you toss it in a few days; best case is you have a wine that blossoms . . .

Cheers.
Larry, I took zinc Friday morning for the first time. Double dose. Opened the first bottle Friday afternoon.
Bryan

GregT

#30 Post by GregT » March 21st, 2020, 12:53 pm

bmckenney wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:39 pm
Ian S wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:19 pm
you guys wouldn't even use my wines for cooking. I have zero burgandy/pinot and only 1 bottle of Baudry Chinon.
Sounds great. I'm in.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Randy C

#31 Post by Randy C » March 21st, 2020, 3:54 pm

same exact thing happened to me. I was doing the dissolving zinc lozenges for a few days early last week, opened two bottles during that time from lots where I had previously had great bottles and they both tasted horrible. Decided wine was more important than zinc so I stopped taking the zinc, waited just a day and now everything tastes good again. I'm 100% convinced it was the zinc. When you take those things, you can really detect a metallic sensation in your mouth for hours afterwards . . .

bmckenney

#32 Post by bmckenney » March 21st, 2020, 6:06 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:37 am
Yup. Zinc. Always for me. I’d rather be sick and enjoy my wine that ruin my palate with zinc.
I searched this site and there was surprisingly little on the subject. I found one post where someone recommended zinc for Anosmia, which must be the wrong thing to take. I found my smell was off yesterday too.

I did find two threads you started on the subject though.
Bryan

Kelvin K

#33 Post by Kelvin K » March 21st, 2020, 10:23 pm

Interesting topic.
I've noticed that some wines taste a little off, most of the wines I've had recently were a bit astringent when I started taking a new multi vitamin. I always thought it was a palate change on my side, until I read this thread.

I looked at the label and it contains zinc citrate.
I'm wondering if 15 mg of zinc citrate daily is what is causing wines to taste weird to me.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by alan weinberg » March 22nd, 2020, 8:30 am

as Glenn opined, loss of sense of taste and smell can be an early sign of a viral infection including Covid-19

Christine Courtney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Christine Courtney » March 22nd, 2020, 10:36 am

Can you smell anything else? It could be the zinc or it could be you have temporarily lost your sense of smell, perhaps due to some type of virus. That happened to me a couple of years ago, when I lost my sense of smell due to a head cold/virus/etc. I could not smell or taste wine, however, I could sense the tannins and acid. It was so weird:) Don't give up on your wines yet!!!
"I can certainly see you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between bordeaux and claret" John Cleese-Fawlty Towers

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Josh Grossman » March 23rd, 2020, 4:05 am

bmckenney wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:15 pm
First bottle was a 2010 Beaucastel Coudoulet. Could not taste any fruit. Very astringent. Predominant harsh mourvedre taste. Poured it down the drain. Second bottle, same wine. Similar but not as severe. Drinkable, but barely. Not enjoyable. I'm curious to see how the second bottle is over the next day or two. I recently had a 2009 coudoulet from my storage that was just excellent.

Opened up (3) 375ml 2007 il poggione brunello next. Very similar to the second Coudoulet. Not enjoyable. Astringent. Its like the fruit is being filtered out. I've had many 375ml 2006 from storage in the last couple of months and none were like this. I opened all three at once instead of one at a time because I need some wine for a dinner tonight so was thinking volume. Should have opened one to start and stopped.

Last night a 2009 monsanto CCR tasted great.

I started taking zinc today with the daily supplemental vitamins. I have read that zinc can affect taste but not sure on the details of that yet.

I'm going to open some kit wine I have and mostly use for cooking instead of experimenting with good wine and see how that goes. And continue to see how the already opened wine tastes. Its pretty weird. Is it the zinc? Something else?
Welp, go get tested:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... PcgiuhijNs

AndrewH

#37 Post by AndrewH » March 23rd, 2020, 6:07 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 10:27 am
It’s being widely reported people, no joke. All I do is communicate with docs overseas and watch webinars.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/heal ... ion=Footer
Andrew H e i m e r t

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by John Morris » March 23rd, 2020, 7:02 am

In case you need a subscription for that NYT story, here are the opening paragraphs:
A mother who was infected with the coronavirus couldn’t smell her baby’s full diaper. Cooks who can usually name every spice in a restaurant dish can’t smell curry or garlic, and food tastes bland. Others say they can’t pick up the sweet scent of shampoo or the foul odor of kitty litter.

Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and possible markers of infection.

On Friday, British ear, nose and throat doctors, citing reports from colleagues around the world, called on adults who lose their senses of smell to isolate themselves for seven days, even if they have no other symptoms, to slow the disease’s spread. The published data is limited, but doctors are concerned enough to raise warnings.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

AndrewH

#39 Post by AndrewH » March 23rd, 2020, 7:07 am

And a thread here on it . . . viewtopic.php?f=1&t=168379
Andrew H e i m e r t

Return to “Wine Talk”