Wine stores are considered “essential” in NY

We knew this, and apparently now Governor Cuomo knows this.

He’s a smart man!

2024 presidential candidate.

Oh he’s been dreaming of that since he was a kid. His dad didn’t want to do it because of rumored family connections, which is why he spent so much time saying that the mafia was non existent, just created by the media. Fake news before fake news was named.

The stores are apparently doing really well though. The sales reps for distributors maybe not so much.

Wine shops here in Westchester are doing really well, the stock is not flying off the shelves like toilet paper or bleach, but they are busy!

Mike, I still believe you need some variety in your signature.

How long to be safe with glass bottle and virus?

Sad Times in Sonoma County
4198398A-7561-49CD-9F32-079A1EE18E52.jpg

At least it appears to be temporary, unlike some others that may not make it (thinking of young restaurants here).

In addition to wine/liquor shops deemed essential in Illinois…so are cannabis dispensaries.

I imagine anyone selling discretionary items (despite the “essential” label) is going to be in trouble long term, whether that be retail or wineries themselves. Once the impact on the economy is realized and layoffs are in full force, people will severely cut back on spending as they seek to preserve cash. This is the very early stages of a long journey.

Although not in NY I was amazed to see my grocery store was pretty much cleaned out of all their sub $7 chardonnays. You walk down that aisle and its like all the bottom row is just missing.

Wineries are still considered ‘essential’ here because they are part of agriculture. We are still able to go in and work on our wines. Tasting rooms are allowed to stay open, but only for bottle purchases and order pick ups. There are a few tasting rooms near me that have continued doing tastings - not right at all IMHO.

In addition, restaurants are allowed to provide not only wines by the glass to go but also cocktails to go - a pretty crazy situation . . .

Be well out there and please take care of your family and friends.

Cheers.

My wife works for a distributor in the on-premise sales division, so they are dead in the water here in Cali. No sales, or commissions, in fact there are as many returns as orders. But overall they are considered a part of supplying something in the “essential business” arena (chains, liquor stores) so the company is open. Apparently off-premise sales are good. Perhaps the higher end wines are not selling, and that segment will only get worse as there is a tail-off in discretionary spending.

Some restaurants here in SoCal are offering up wine to-go at sharp discounts. Some are basically matching retail prices. With take-out food they can offer one-stop shop. It enables them to generate some cash-flow, and I bet we’ll see more of it and deeper discounting as the hurt increases. Some places are also doing batched/made cocktails to go. The Cal Alc Bev Control has relaxed some it’s provisions to help.

I picked up some wine yesterday at the Acker warehouse yesterday because I didn’t know how long things might be closed but they are staying open too because they fall under the essential category.

Supposedly three days on hard surfaces like metal, but SARS and MERS actually survived nine days in a few isolated cases. But the glass is easy to wipe down with alcohol or bleach.

this. our local wine shops doing pickup only orders have had some of their best days EVER this week. and that’s including the ones that normally have busy bars that aren’t allowed to operate anymore. I imagine this is a combination of stocking up for eventual lockdowns and also something that may go away as people realizing their work slowing down or closing is not gonna be something that magically gets better at the end of the month.

Yup. I’ve heard that story in NY. Reps are not only losing current restaurant sales, but they’re seeing past months’ commissions be taken back because of returns.

this. our local wine shops doing pickup only orders have had some of their best days EVER this week. and that’s including the ones that normally have busy bars that aren’t allowed to operate anymore. I imagine this is a combination of stocking up for eventual lockdowns and also something that may go away as people realizing their work slowing down or closing is not gonna be something that magically gets better at the end of the month.

I would imagine many shops are making more money right now. Many of our wine shops in MN are sending daily reminders that they are open for business and offering curbside pickup.

johngonzales wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:30 pm
My wife works for a distributor in the on-premise sales division, so they are dead in the water here in Cali. No sales, or commissions, in fact there are as many returns as orders. …
Yup. I’ve heard that story in NY. Reps are not only losing current restaurant sales, but they’re seeing past months’ commissions be taken back because of returns.

In MN it is illegal to return product once it is delivered although that was a law someone in the business told me years ago. I feel bad for restaurants if that law is still in effect as they can’t really move product right now. I have heard some states allowing alcohol on take out and not sure if MN is one. I wonder what the price mark up is on this take out service?

In addition, some are packaging cocktails to go. Not sure how that works. A favorite restaurant of ours nearby is doing that. I may try it for the novelty.