2017 Chianti Classico (new releases)

" A more challenging vintage than the ones to either side of it (i.e. 2016, 2018), in 2017 there were greatly reduced yields, and in many cases, the wines are lacking freshness, energy, structure. But, as is often the case, there are also some really nice, really tasty wines that will no doubt sell for fair (if not crazy) values given what’s in the bottle.

Can’t say I’d cellar any of them for more than 4-6 years; actually drink the lot of them in the near>short term.

My final report in this series focusing on the the new releases of the 2017 Chianti Classico Collection as tasted in February, 2020 in Florence. I’ve broken out the 2017s from the other, previous report (with 2018s, 2017s – it’s a long report) with the idea that it might be easier for some to find the 2017s in particular. I hope you find something that helps."

2017 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico – Really, really good. Six months since my last sample, and the bottle tonight is the ideal expression of fleshy, balanced, Sangiovese fruit. This type of (Classico) wine doesn’t come about very often – most young Classico are a bit acidic, and/or stern – made for food. This isn’t, it’s perfectly ripe, with a good depth, and layering to the red fruits. It’s simply a joy, and I find myself wanting a case. Delicious, structured, bright, pure, what’s not to like? highly recommended, drink now thru 2024. Not an ager, so drink sooner than later.

2017 Tenuta Lilliano Chianti Classico – Soil-driven, herb, and forest berry nose, with flavors largely following. Impressive mid-palate, and final. This is one to look for, very good. highly recommended+

2017 Quercia Al Poggio Chianti Classico – Very good, with everything I’m looking for in young, off-vintage Chianti Classico. Wow, great finish; plumps up in the middle, finishes strong, full. Drink 2020-2031. highly recommended+

2017 Fontodi Chianti Classico – Darker brick red, with some reduced notes, soil, and loads of freshly turned earth. Love the tension, juicy middle, and purity. Very good, and better in the short/middle term. Didn’t expect to like this as much as I do in this vintage. Bravo! Drink 2022-2034. highly recommended+

For those interested, the full post/report is here 2017 Chianti Classico, newly released (Feb 2020) – ItalianWine.blog

Always helpful, and love your reports, thank you!

thanks for the message, Mark, glad there’s something you find helpful

Thank you for the report – always very helpful.

+1