TN: 2017 Barton Orchard Black Muscat Version 3 Barton Orchard Estate

Tonights Zoom virtual offline wine. PGC’s quarantine Muscat offer got me thinking of this so I popped one. @Wes Barton, yummy as usual. Thanks my friend.

This wine is medium crimson red and clear in the glass, light in body. The nose smells like Black Muscat (very distinct). A hint of reduction upon opening which blows off in a few minutes. To me the nose has hints of really smoky cherry with black licorice and some interesting spicey notes. The palate leads with the same characteristics. Softens on the mid-palate and fades into a medium-short smooth finish. No noticeable tannins. A simple, refreshing light red that’s good as an aperitif or paired with light fare. I like serving it a tad chilled (cellar temp). Glad I have a pile left. Drink now - 2022. Thanks, Wes for introducing me to this varietal.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for posting a note on this wine, Sean! Every time Wes has brought a bottle of his Black Muscat to share with some of us, it’s been a big hit. Very unusual to see a dry Black Muscat from California - the only other examples of this variety I’ve had have been sweet (and those have been good too). Very distinctive grape variety.

Thanks for the note. Glad you like it.