What Became of Bedrock Sodini?

Bedrock made a 16 Sodini but has not made one since. Are these grapes now going into the larger appellation wine? I think Morgan farms the property so he must still have access to the grapes.

Thanks,
Tom

Looks like Rochioli maybe

https://historicvineyardsociety.org/vineyard/sodini

I believe it may be the main component of OVZ.

Rochioli used to do a Ranch Red from Sodini but that was many, many years ago.

Tom

I think this is the case but what was the thought process from walking it back from an SVD?

Tom

I think they are rehabbing the vineyard and will make a SVD when it makes sense

So maybe Morgan was underwhelmed by the 15 and 16? Drinking the 15 now.

Tom

His father did a ‘17 Sodini for O&F.

Morgan said Teldeschi (Lorenzo’s) had the bulk of fruit in the ‘18 OVZ.

That makes sense after opening the 2018 OVZ last night. Lots of lush blackberry, blueberry fruit on the nose and palate.

I saw Steve Sodini in my travels today and asked him about this but he’s clueless to what Morgan is doing with the fruit. Morgan took over farming a few years ago and maybe it’s just mot where he wants it yet. I haven’t tasted Joel’s take on it from ‘17 so I have nothing to go by.

We are still in the long rehab process on the vineyard as it as in really rough shape when we started farming it six years ago- more than 60% of the vines were missing, decades of soil compaction, etc… There are certain years where it really shines and others where it is just solid which means that we only vineyard designate it when we feel it shows well enough. In the meantime it is a regular in the OVZ botting where it usually makes up 10-20% of the blend depending on the year (the other large components of that wine are usually Evangelho, Pato, Esola, Katushas, Teldeschi and Bedrock Vineyard with percentages varying based on strength of vintage FWIW).

An interesting thread. Thank you all.
My Bedrock shipment arrived yesterday. I tucked it away in the basement, as I have earlier ones to work on. But given the current world conditions, it gives me something to live for. Or drink for.
I hope all of you are well and contented with good wine. Thank you all for all of the good wine info over the years.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR