Shelter In Place Night Two, Pizza and Idlewild

We live in crazy times and not making light of the situation, just trying to smile a bit in a crisis. My wife had wanted to make pizza and I was not going to object. After a 4 day rise the dough was ready to go.
With some delicious pizza we had the ultimate pizza wine, Idlewild 2018 Flora & Fauna Red Wine.

2018 Idlewild Flora & Fauna Red Wine: The 2018 is a blend of 48% Barbera, 39% Dolcetto, 13% Nebbiolo, most of the grapes coming from Fox Hill Vineyard in Mendocino County. Fermented whole cluster and partially carbonic then foot tread this treatment gives the wine structure, intense aromatics and savory qualities.

The nose is ripe cherry, earth, cedar and floral notes. Lovely aromatics on this wine. The flavors largely mimic the nose, black cherry, earthy-soil notes dried herbs and a touch of violet candy and iodine. It is like you are tasting all three grapes yet the flavors are totally integrated with each other. In old barrels for a short time, there is zero oak signature. In my opinion what makes this wine special (and other vintages) is the perfect structure with great acidity from the Barbera and tannin from the Dolcetto and Nebbiolo. Put it all together and you have a heck of a wine and at $25.00 an excellent value. I call it the ultimate pizza wine but honestly we also drink it with much more hearty foods with equal success.

2018 Idlewild Flora & Fauna Red Wine
IMG_20200308_174403.jpg
One of 3 Pizza. Sausage, Pepper, Meatball, Pepperoni
IMG_20200315_192449.jpg

Crazy times, indeed Tom. This looks like a good way to deal with sheltering in. I need to try this Idlewood Flora & Fauna and pizza pairing thing. All sounds great. And the pizza looks right tasty!
Be well!

Sorry…I know I called it the ultimate pizza wine before you did. [cheers.gif]

Dennis, knowing the type of wine you like, I’m pretty sure you will love it. And will let the wife know your thoughts on the pizza!

David, can’t tell a lie. I piggybacked off you calling it the ultimate pizza wine :slight_smile:

Tom