Ridge Estate Cab: '16 or '17?

I noticed that Ridge was offering free shipping for members for the month of March and thought I’d get a case of Ridge Estate Cab to lay down for happier times.

For those who have tasted both the '16 and the '17 (both are on offer on the site) which is the better wine in your opinion?

-af

Looks like they’re out of the 2016 750ml if that influences your decision. I haven’t tried either, but I’d go for the 2016.

Ridge rarely misses. I don’t think that either of these vintages was a disaster in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I’d favor more bottle age, as I’m not a spring chicken.

fred

This post inspired me to pick up some 2016. I bought 6 bottles online at Luekens for $44.99 a bottle, $18 flat rate shipping.

Are their Estate Cabs still good value? I’ve had Monte Bellos, which I absolutely loved, but never had the Estate Cabs before for some reason. How do they compare? Very curious to try.

I popped a 16 last week. Surprising accessible at this age. I still prefer my Cabs when they get the secondary characters going strong but this didn’t smack me with structure like I expected. Fruit was there and not sleeping. It’s a very strong value at $45. I don’t think it’s really a 25 year wine like this can be but it’s going to go for a long while.

I haven’t had the ‘17 but the ‘16 is lovely.

How’s the '13 drinking? Have 3 bottles in the cellar.

Of all the vintages I’ve tried of this wine, the '13 is my favorite. That’s said, I’d still wait another five years to open them.

I think the '13 Montebello may end up being the best ever or certainly compete for that spot.

-af