Spring wine shipments during shelter in place a.k.a lockdown

PSA for those of you that normally get wines shipped to a business address that you may want to contact wineries to request a hold or update the address to a residential one.

My order from Enfield shipped yesterday before the shelter in place order was announced. Great customer service as I got an email from them as well as a phone call from John Lockwood asking if I needed to redirect the shipping. Very much appreciated! It also served as a nice reminder that I should proactively get on top of all my spring (and summer?) wine shipments.

I am prepping my 2019 Rose shipments and have reached out to all customers to ensure I have proper shipping addresses. In many cases, folks are shifting to sending wines to home addresses . . .

Cheers

I recently requested Full Pull ship my pending as weather is good from Seattle to PDX. I usually have been getting wines shipped to UPS Store about 10 blocks away. I am home these days and schlepping cases is getting hard on my old back these days as well. Time to change to home delivery.

We’ve been getting a lot of shipments lately. No hold up so far.

I just learned that my storage facility to which I have my wine shipped is planning to close for at least two weeks because of the pandemic, which I expect will be happening with other storage facilities as well. With so much uncertainty at this point, wineries and retailers need to check to confirm shipping information before sending any shipments.

Or maybe the buyers should simply let the wineries know of any changes.
As the original post suggested.
Phil Jones

Thanks to the reminder from Larry, I got in my change of address for my bedrock order in about 12 hours before they shipped.

I always ship to FedEx office even if I am home. The 10 minutes you are gone always seems like that is when they tried to deliver.

I’ve been asking folks to ship to my billing address and wineries have been happy to comply.

Given the increased consumption needs in these quarantine days, it’s also an opp to add a few extra early-drinker bottles on some of the orders. Most producers are happy to accommodate those requests, provided they have unallocated wine to sell.

We did not have to sign for Enfield yesterday. UPS honked and dropped the box.

We did not have to sign for Enfield yesterday. UPS honked and dropped the box.

Can be a good and bad thing. I hope they would at least ring the doorbell. I would hate a shipment sitting outside for an afternoon depending on the weather. I don’t blame them for not actually do the handoff either.

No signature required on shipments received in the Twin Cities, UPS yesterday and Fed Ex today.

New policy from Fed Ex no signature required “That’s why effective immediately, we won’t require you to physically sign for most deliveries made in the U.S. It’s just another way we’re focused on Safety Above All - now, and always.”

Just now, Carlisle was kind enough to remind their customers of their upcoming wine shipment on April 6. They need your new address by tomorrow night, since pallets will be made up on Monday.
Yikes! INCOMING!!!
Phil Jones

I too have seen reminders from sources I use. It takes time to adjust as we all know by now.

Wish they were actually following that. My Bedrock order was supposed to be delivered today and FedEx didn’t leave it even though I have a note on my door saying that I am home, not answering the door and asking for packages to be left on my stoop with my signature.

I changed my shipping address on the Carlisle website, then responded to their email to tell them that I had done so, and to ask what else I need to do. Got an immediate response from Mike Officer letting me know that this shipment needs a separate change, so he went to my account, found my new address, and made the change for this shipment.
Everything they say about Mike Officer is true. He is the real deal.
Phil Jones

How about if wineries and customers hold off on non-essential goods, for time being?

Surely you jest.

The Fed-ex delivery person today didn’t make me sign but did verify who I was from a distance. He also told me that they are going to not be able to deliver wine at some point soon. It was a delivery person though, not something official, so take it with a grain of salt.