Most aromatic value white wine recommendations

I am relatively new to wines, my taste preference is probably a bit unorthodox for this forum but I think experienced drinkers will not have a problem with recommendations.
I am after bold, colourful, passionate, most aromatic good quality white wine. I like in particular notes of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, butter, oaky but other recommendations more towards fruity if aromatic and engaging are also appreciated. Rather value segment in terms of pricing - best would be 10 - 15 EUR.
From what I have tried so far 19crimes is top on my list although it has this drawback that it loses its aroma quite quickly after opening, a few hours later is pretty much gone.
I guess Ménage a Trois, Meomi and Bogle Chardonnay would fit in well, there are on the list but have not tried them yet as Poland is not the best place in terms of wine availability.
So any recommendations are very welcome, in particular popular, iconic ones.

Pawel

Domaine des Cassagnoles Gros Manseng Côtes de Gascogne Reserve Selection is our house white and a huge value at about $12

I would imagine, from a value standpoint, current vintages of E. Guigal Côtes-du-Rhône Blanc might fit the bill. I don’t think you’ll find much oak/butter, but it’s an iconic producer and the grape varities in the blend tend to be quite aromatic, albeit more fruit aromas than the ones you mention.

If you can get it where you live (I assume so, since you asked in EURs), Rebholz Muskateller is the best value aromatic white in the world IMO.

http://www.oekonomierat-rebholz.com/weine/sortiment

The 2019 should be released soon. Amazing!

You should have access to vastly more cultivars of Vitis vinifera in Europe than we do in the United States.

In terms of fruity-tooty aromatics which are relatively close to Poland, you have Gewurztraminer in Eastern France [Alsace], Welschriesling [Riesling Italico] in Austria, and Furmint from Hungary.

Those are all fairly close to you geographically, and it seems like you ought to be able to find them in your local stores [???].

Way down south, in Greece, you also have Assyrtiko, which can produce strong aromatics.

If you can find some inexpensive [but well made] Gewurztraminer & Assyrtiko, then for aromatics, I think I’d start with those two cultivars. And I’d like to imagine that you could find some very nice table wines [made from those cultivars] in the price range of 7.5 to 12.5 euros [heck, you might even be able to find some great wines down around 5 euros].

You also shouldn’t have any trouble finding Furmint - Hungary is just a stone’s throw across Slovakia from Poland - and if Hungary can’t export Furmint to Poland, then they need a new business model.

Agreed it has a high percentage of Viognier (60% I think).

Chocolate almost never occurs in white wine, but vanilla, caramel, butter and oak are easy to find, particularly in New World chardonnays – American and Australian, for example.

What you’re describing, including the vanilla and caremel, is classic oaky flavors. (Butter is usually from malolactic fermentation but is often found in oak-aged chardonnay.)

You’re much less likely to find those flavors in wines that aren’t aged in new oak (or have oak chips used, in the case of cheaper wines). I wouldn’t expect to find those flavors in Côtes-du-Rhône blanc, Gewurztraminer. Welschriesling, Furmint or Assyrtiko since those rarely see any new oak.

So I’d recommend concentrating your focus on chardonnays like 19Crimes, Meomi and Bogle.

Torrontes if you really want extreme aromatic.
But Brother Morris is correct about oak markers

Well let’s see here…

CHARDONNAY: Smells of a certain type of hominid congress which is not spoken of in polite discourse, but which, in the seedier parts of town, is known as “Funk”.

RIESLING: Smells of liquid excrement from the hominid bowel tract; spoken of in polite discourse as “petrol”.

SAUVIGNON BLANC: Smells of feline genito-urinary discharge [although the best vintners can work with that].

Anyway, getting back to other recommendations more towards fruity if aromatic and engaging, I think Gewurtraminer & Assyrtiko would be excellent places to start, with Furmint & Welschriesling being very good second steps to take after that.

Chocolate almost never occurs in white wine, but vanilla, caramel, butter and oak are easy to find, particularly in New World chardonnays – American and Australian, for example.
That has been my conclusion from a year of active researching and trying so it seems that should be the main direction - New World chardonnays.

You’re much less likely to find those flavors in wines that aren’t aged in new oak (or have oak chips used, in the case of cheaper wines). I wouldn’t expect to find those flavors in Côtes-du-Rhône blanc, >Gewurztraminer. Welschriesling, Furmint or Assyrtiko since those rarely see any new oak.
That is also my experience :slight_smile: With one remark though. There is aromatic life outside Chardonnay :slight_smile: On the top of my personal list in the 15 EUR segment is this lady: Villa Wolf GEWÜRZTRAMINER - wonderfully aromatic, with this unusual rosey note. Tastes much unlike a few other Gewurztraminers I have tried. That is the main basis why I put the question more open, not narrowing it to Chardonnays.
And above described, my humble wine experiences so far lead me to believing that general discussions about grape varieties do not bring the value I would happily tap to in this forum :slight_smile:
Also I have tried more than a dozen Chardonnays and most of them have been rather classic breed, also New World.

So I’d recommend concentrating your focus on chardonnays like 19Crimes, Meomi and Bogle.
So it seems my list looks as a good start but what about expanding it ? :wink:
Or except Ménage a Trois which is now off - do you think it does not match the target ?

I’d like to propose a voting for top aromatic list of specific wine brands.
I can see two rankings:
A) Oaky caramel vanilla creamy or buttery Chardonnay up to 15 EUR:
My vote:

1. 19Crimes
  2. Bogle
  3. Meomi

B) Non-Chardonnay aromatic wine 15 EUR:

1. Villa Wolf Gewurztraminer

I would very much appreciate your rankings for A) and/or B) - no limits for the number of contenders - the more (quality ones from OWN experience) the better :slight_smile:

If someone cannot resist the temptation to hint at an upper shelf challenger because it is really extraordinary aromatic (and good quality, possibly iconic) then also welcome but maybe not over 30 EUR, overdue recession might be coming :confused:

Thanks, Pawel

If I there are any new aromatic recommendations that are available in my not-fully-developed-yet country I am locked and loaded to get them and rank against the benchmark , i.e. 19Crimes currently for me, hopefully to change soon. Maybe others who like “aromatic” wines could also contribute their impressions so we could have an evolving and growing aromatic thread :slight_smile:

I had the 2018 Villa Wolf gwz tonight with a spectrum of Thai food. It has spiciness, and is off dry, but doesn’t have enough acidity to balance everything out. It was likable and we finished the screwcapped bottle over dinner but I would not go out of my way to repurchase, even if an ok value. For this varietal maybe Alsace has an advantage; I can’t recall tasting many German versions.

For a bit more, try my Outlier - a dry Gewurztraminer with only .1% RS and good acidity.

Cheers

My biggest wine supplier is XtraWine, and I see that they ship to Poland for prices ranging from 1-1.5 EUR / bottle depending on quantity.

They have an excellent range of Italian wines, but also various others from around Europe. They currently list 395 chardonnays in stock from 5.5 EUR upwards, and their search filter lets you specify, for example, “matured in wood”, which gives 116 chardonnays to choose from.

At the moment we are preferring more floral styles of Italian white, but one oaky wine we’ve enjoyed from them recently (albeit a little out of your price range) is the 2018 BioVio Riviera Ligure di Ponente Grand-Père.