Chianti Classico new releases, from the Collection tasting event

The quarantine’s given me some time to catch up, so I’ve gotten together the notes for the Chianti Classico wines I tasted during the 2-day event back in February, just a week after I’d arrived here. I know some here have already seen the report/post, but it’s been updated with a more wines as I hadn’t finished. For the most part, I’ve finished (with the Classico wines). Now, I’m doing the Chianti Classico Riserva, Gran Selezione, etc., wines, and I hope to finish that report by end of day today.

my daily ‘quarantine’ view here in Chianti Classico hills. Absolutely no idea when I’ll be able to return to my family in Colorado, but for now, it’s all good.

"Each year the Consorzio puts on terrific event at the (former) Leopalda Train Station. This is a large building, lacking in any form of natural light, but making up for it by keeping the temperature inside relatively conducive to evaluating wine; that it’s in February doesn’t hurt, either.

The wines at this tasting spanned several categories – not all producers release their wines at the same time. For instance, while some were showing the 2018 Chianti Classico wines, others won’t show those until next year, or later. 2016 Riserva, 2017 Gran Selezione, and lots of variations at this tasting. A rather comprehensive event.

2/17/2020 - I LIKE THIS WINE: NR

2018 Badia a Coltibuono

med ruby, bright, clear. Herbal, woodsy nose; pretty, and with good soil character. Med(-) body that appears to have good+ structure, freshness, and length already. This is tight and coiled, but also quite promising - for traditionalists. highly recommended

2018 Casa Emma Chianti Classico

Bright ruby/bricked red, clear. Woods, fruit and soil driven nose with character of place, and variety. Medium/med+ body, with lovely tension, depth, and breadth; an instant winner in the mouth. Has already developed an impressive length. I’m in lovely with this, and can’t wait to seek it out here in Italia, and also for my cellar in Colorado. Drink 2021-2039+ highly recommended+

2018 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico

Translucent britk red, bright and clear. Exciting, soil and red-fruit driven nose; lightly closed, today, but a great sense of place, and character already. Medium-bodied, with excellent tension, structure, and purity. This is a case/muti-case purchase candidate. Drink 2021-2040. highly recommended+

• NOTE: Not exported to USA, sorry *

https://www.ItaiianWine.blog

The full report can be found here The newly released wines of Chianti Classico (2018s) – ItalianWine.blog for those that are interested.

Is this a new development? I buy Monsanto frequently, would be a shame if they stop exporting it to the US.

He’s referring to the “normale” (non-Riserva). The Chianti Classico Riserva is the one exported to the U.S., along with the Il Poggio single vineyard Riserva (which may now be designated as Gran Selezione…not sure these days as I rarely see it anymore).

Oh how interesting, the price is so low I always forget what we have out here is a riserva!

wasn’t aware the normale isn’t imported to US…The CCR is a favorite of ours…As was the Il Poggio tho I haven’t seen it in years…

Agreed. The combination of the price, availability, the style of the wine (clean, bright, herbaceous…which really doesn’t scream “Riserva”), and the fact that they offer the higher end Il Poggio (which one might assume to be their primary “Riserva”), make it easy to forget that its a Riserva.