Laurent-Perrier: A Grand, Grand Siecle "La Cuvée"

Bought this on release about 15 years ago. I had not had a bottle in 5+ years and was really impressed with the way that it showed. Totally fresh with an almost youthful exuberance, this Grand Siecle had no noticeable oxidative notes. Full flavored citrus aromas and flavors and great acidity that was perfect with food. I have to believe that 1996 was one of the 3 vintages in this multi-vintage cuvée.

Cool, sounds delish. I’m still thinking about an excellent bottle of the 02 LP vintage champagne I had in late January.

Had the 08 LP? It seems quite attractively priced.

Michael,

What label does this wine have - the older styled heart shaped label or the newer oval shape? Did you purchase this in the US? This can help determine what might be in the bottle. If you have the cork, the code on it is also helpful.

Pat,

I have 3 bottles of the 2008 L-P but haven’t tried it yet.

Brad,

It’s the heart-shaped label purchased on release about 15 or so years ago. It was opened at a restaurant and I did not keep the cork. I have 3 bottles left acquired at the same time.

Michael,

It would pre-date 1996 as a base. If you purchased it 15 years ago with the heart shaped label, the current release would have been 1995/1993/1990 although there was still 1993/1990/1988, 1990/1988/1985, and 1988/1985/1982 floating around too. The wine wasn’t a huge seller in the US in the late 90s and early 2000s.

How do you pronounce Siecle? see-clay?

see ECK luh sort of. Means Century.

I wish there was a way to show that the ‘luh’ is as quiet as the ‘ECK’ is emphasized. It is much closer to just ‘see-ECK’ than acutally pronoucing the ‘luh’, but no good way to show that in english. Maybe see-ECK-luh