Sancerre years?

I’ve really been getting turned onto Sancerre lately. I’ve had some magnificent 2016’s but they are not really still available at retail. What about 2017 vs 2018? What sets these vintages apart and how do they compare to 2016?

thanks

I was interested in the same question. I asked a friend who lives over there and has contact with lots of growers.
This is his opinion which I totally respect. He prizes balance and acidity over ripeness. He considers 2016 to be slightly in front of 2017/2018.
2014 sounds like my kind of vintage.

2019 “C” (+alc, -acidity)
2018 “B”
2017 “B”
2016 “B+”
2015 “A” (but a bit + alc for me)
2014 “A++” (a perfect vintage)
2013 “F”
2012 “A”
2011 “C”
2010 “A”

2 Likes

Thanks Don. Great helpful info. I think in the right hands and the right year these can be as stunning and complex as some of the greatest white burgundies I’ve had.

I have not had many, but the 2014 I have had from Sancerre have been excellent (especially Clos la Neore). From 2016, I have had a single Boulay la Cote, which was beautiful. No info on 2017 and 2018, especially with my trip there at the end of the month cancelled.

I’ve had the Vatan 2014, 15 (twice) and 17 all over the last 2 months. Frankly, they are all outstanding. The 2014 is indeed a classic vintage overall, especially for the Cab Franc. The acid and energy is high in the whites. What Vatan does with ripeness, however, is spell-binding. Both the 2015 and the 2017 sing and revel in their ripeness, such gorgeously deep fruit lifted to the heavens by Vatan’s signature structure. I think 15 and 17 are better today, but 14 may eclipse them in time.

Was interesting to me to see Chris Kissack’s posts on the Loire Cab Franc thread recently. He seemed to down-play 2014 and up-play the riper years like 14 and 18. I’ve had tons of 2014 Loire CF, it’s a killer, classic vintage.

I just had to check whether I have had anything from 2013 and indeed, Gérard Boulay’s entry level Sancerre (‘Chavignol’) was superb and classic [snort.gif]

So were La Cote and Les Monts Damnées by Boulay in 2013.

I tasted the 2014 and 2015 Clos la Neore side by side and IMO the 2014 was head and shoulders above. A bit ripe and round for my taste, although maybe it was the comparison…

No surprise there! It’s a really reliable address in my experience.

The 14 seemed riper than the 15?

Overall, 18 is my favorite of recent vintages. Lots of good juice produced.

I think 2013 was tough in Sancerre (frost, then hail, and then rain during late harvest), but F to me implies no one made good wine. I really enjoyed several bottles of Boulay’s Culs de Beaujeau, and felt Lauverjat’s base bottling was a good value if on the lean snappy end. I’m sure there was plenty of F quality wine.

Sorry, 15 was riper (too ripe, but also simpler) than the 14. Discussed briefly with Anne Vatan at the tasting, I suggested (naively) that maybe the extra year in the bottle for the 14 made a difference, she suggested gently (read as “you dumb suckah”) it was the vintage difference.

Reviving this thread. Any updates out of bottle on 2019 Sancerre, the Chavignol /Bue hillsides in particular?

Given my love of cool vintage Sancerre with good dry extract, lower alcohol, and plenty of acidity, I’m thinking about skipping entirely. Thoughts? And any reason to find the wines more or less structured than 2018?

I had the 2017 Les Monts Damnes by Boulay a few weeks ago and it absolutely blew me away. I never loved Sauv Blanc so I couldn’t tell you how it stacks up against other Sancerre at the price point, but I was surprised and ecstatic when I took a sip.

Bumping one more time.

Does anyone have a sense of what type of vintage it is in Sancerre based on experience tasting out of bottle? Particularly Chavignol / Bue?

The only wine I’ve tried so far is the Boulay normale, and I liked that a lot, and quite frankly should have bought more, as I went through all six bottles this Summer. The Boulay ‘19 SVDs haven’t been offered yet, but based on my experience with the entry level wine, I will be a buyer.

Jayson, I have a '19 Thomas-Labaille- Monts Damnes in the fridge, to be opened one of these days.

spanky waiting.gif

Coincidence to the extreme, Jim. I made a Little Rascals reference yesterday for the first time in many years.