TN: Ceritas Rivina 2018

Just got these the other day. Been drinking my own stuff for weeks, so it was time for a little change. Amidst all this apocalyptic doom and gloom, I felt it was time to bring out something nice.

2018 Ceritas Rivina Pinot Noir: Strawberry and small forest fruits on the nose. Very soft wine, lots of fruit punch and lightness. Very much reminding of a natural glou-glou - imagine if Martha Stoumen did a Pinot from Sonoma (maybe she does?). No tannins to speak of, soft ending without much acid. But very quaffable and immediate, whilst still invoking old world. A pleasure to drink. But a wine to drink now. This is not for aging.

Sounds Good… Popped an 2018 Trout Gulch Chardonay today (really tight, needs a day or two to open up). I Have your mission lined up for next time I drink with Wes Barton and/or Ken Zins.

Sean

Good! It was on my list to try to get one to Ken!

I’ve also got the Trout Gulch Chard, will see when a good time to open that up is. But good to know it needs to breathe a bit.

I would say I won’t pop another 18 Trout gulch for at least 5-10 years.

Had the 2014 trout gulch Chardonnay in January and it just started to open up. The 5-10 year wait sounds correct.

After reading Adam’s note, I decided to try one of mine. This arrived about 1 week earlier. I regularly buy and drink Ceritas wines - pinot and chardonnay. They are well made wines, reflective of site, and customer service is strong. The people behind Ceritas seem like nice people.

I opened the bottle trying to not have Adam’s comments influence my impressions.
Yet, like many biases, even if we are aware and try to avoid their influence, bias can influence our views, even if unknowing.

So with that potential bias out there - here is my TN:
2018 Ceritas Pinot Noir Rivina Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/17/2020)
Pop and poured a bit into a decanter.
Tasted and then enjoyed with food.
Vibrant purple color.
Wonderful nose of fresh red berries and a hint of wet stone.
Lovely fresh red berry with lively acidity. There is a zesty vibrancy to this wine.
Easy to drink but there is depth with a spice note and wet stone character.
Will this improve with age? Possibly, yet one of the attractive elements here is the freshness and lively quality of the wine. It makes this a drink now type of wine.
Delicious.

Adam’s “glou-glou” comment stuck in my mind. I would not have used that phrase but it fits here.
This is a nice enjoyable bottle of wine. For the price, it might not be a great value, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.