Oh no, I just learned I'm a placomusophile; newly organized Champagne cap photos

I started collecting these when I decided corks were too big to accumulate, and the caps were far more interesting. I keep them in a jar. I hadn’t thought about doing anything else with them, although Ambonnay in Portland lines the beams with them.

Cheers,
Warren

I also collect em but only keep one exampleof each unique one we drink. Had no idea there are so many of us!

I have turned them into refrigerator magnets and mini tree ornaments. An artist in Virginia took a couple, and used them as part of mixed-media pieces.

1 Like

We bought some snap rings and a hole punch and we turn them into wine charms. Makes it easy to identify the myriad glasses when we have friends over, unless one of them steals the LGD that my wife likes to use.

1 Like

I do the same - one example of each. Not sure what I will do with them but it’s not like they take up much space in the mean time.

Made by a close friend from caps I collected:

Hopefully Frank Murray will see this. He and Jill had a hanging lamp made of Champagne cages and caps.

But, but, but . . . why? [scratch.gif]

Kelly very cool - that’s what I’m thinking of doing with mine as well!

You may not be able to tell in the picture but the caps are not mounted flush but hover a bit on the backboard. When light hits is at different angles you get a different look and depth due to the shadow cast. When hit directly by sunlight, it really sparkles.

Very cool, Kelly.

Any favorites? I really like ones with classic paintings. The Laval ones come to mind

I love the caps of Andre Clouet.
La Grande Dame are classic.

Was out to dinner last week with my wife, son and new girlfriend. We ordered Veuve for the kids, it’s a label they know. And the girlfriend asked who is that on the cap. That allowed me to go into full geek-mode to tell them all about the Grand Dame of Champagne, Madame Clicquot Ponsardin. I may have bored then to tears but they dug the Champagne. Granted they had been drinking Mojitos all day on the beach.

It’s fun to find unusual caps. Only saw this one a single time on some 1990 vintage Alain Robert.
9AF71928-3972-4DD8-8EFB-6279B984E0F2.jpeg

champagne.gif

20200314_165513.jpg

1 Like

Frank, super cool!

Was out to dinner last week with my wife, son and new girlfriend.

Damn. You’re the epitome of studlyness! Wife not only accepts that you have a “new” girlfriend, implying others in the past, but actually goes out to dinner with her!

You rule! When I grow up I want to be like you! [worship.gif]

Jerry Hey gave me a gift of a frame designed to hold more than 100 caps. Soon as I unpack I’ll take a pic and post.

Warren
I have a ton of these in a jar, if by chance we ever get together they’re yours. champagne.gif

1 Like