TN: 2015 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie)

• 2015 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (3/12/2020)
    Really very nice on pop n pour. Lots of sharp fruit and great underlying structure. No flab. This will be great with some age. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice, concise TN. I have three, haven’t opened one yet. Would opening one now be a waste (I don’t have a ton of experience with ageing Côte-Rôtie)?

I think this is in a good place to open, personally. I like the “Rule of 15” for Northern Rhones generally, but this bottling is on the more generous side. It’s a touch glossier on the finish than my ideal preference in the Northern Rhone, but I like it a lot aromatically. Though giving it some air wouldn’t hurt.

Gerard’s LaLa is a considerably more powerful and complex wine that’s very down my alley; open that one without a huge decant at your own peril.

Right on point, plus the riper vintage lends itself for more youthful appreciation.

Thank you, Gentlemen. Now, what food with which to pair it…

Nice wine. The '14 version has also been drinking well.

How is the '16 drinking now? The awesome '15 makes me want to find some. I’ll look for '14 too.
I typically like some age on my N Rhones but it sure is nice to try one young when it’s singing like this '15 is.

Well but it needs some time. I a have note on it in CT…

2015 Xavier Gerard Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (4/16/2021)
– decanted 1.5 hours before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: dark; brooding; mix of olive and tar; fruits come across as ripe/baked/dark — dark raspberry dominates; a touch floral.

BODY: medium-full bodied; violet-garnet color of great depth.

TASTE: “dark”; smoky; and dark-fruited; hint of olive; gentle, medium-fine tannins; adequate acidity; alc. is a touch noticeable. Fully primary, and a bit clumsy, at the moment. Best to Hold.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90 pts.)

Anyone tried the 18? It’s the first vintage I’ve come across here.

Thanks for the note.

Personally i have decided to live by Matt Walls rule of thumb for Cornas and Côte-Rôtie:

Drink at 0-4 years after harvest, or 8+ years after harvest. Then you are less likely to drink a closed/muted wine.