What’s the mood re Coronavirus in wine country?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Erin Di Costanzo

Re: What’s the mood re Coronavirus in wine country?

#51 Post by Erin Di Costanzo » March 13th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Chiming in... most of the Di Costanzo March and some April tasting appointments have decided to cancel because people won't be coming to the valley. For us, it is a big impact. Saint Helena feels quiet. I stocked up on cheery white wines over at Gary's (formerly Dean & Deluca) and it was a ghost town. I bet all of the wineries probably want to reach out to their customers to see if they'd like wines shipped to their homes, but are working out the way to send that email without sounding opportunistic. We might do some messaging next week. Strange days indeed.
Erin Di Costanzo
Di Costanzo Wines
ITB
erin@mdcwines.com

K. Tr@n

#52 Post by K. Tr@n » March 13th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Nickel & Nickel just cancelled their Cabernet futures event where they line up their 20+ single vineyard cab for tasting and buying futures. That is normally a very popular event.
First init. h @ n g

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Nate Simon » March 13th, 2020, 5:11 pm

From Turley:
“ In the Tasting Rooms:
We are shifting all tastings at both the Amador and Paso Robles locations to appointment-only effective immediately. This change allows us to most safely utilize our properties while abiding by California’s new 6’ social distancing requirements and allowing for thorough cleaning procedures between each tasting.

Each tasting room will have a Turley employee at the entrance managing all appointment arrivals, check-ins, and general inquiries. We are no longer accommodating group tastings of more than 6 people and will be adjusting tasting spaces to include more outdoor locations as our staff and properties can best facilitate.”

PeterJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by PeterJ » March 13th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Does anyone know for sure if the 6’ social distancing ‘requirement’ actually a requirement or just a guideline? Local health authorities haven’t followed through or every restaurant and bar here in OC would probably have had to close.
Peter J@ckel

johngonzales

#55 Post by johngonzales » March 13th, 2020, 6:59 pm

My wife is in wine and spirits distribution, in the on-premise division. So: hotels, venues, restaurants, clubs, bars, catering. Sale this week got hammered.

Sean Corbett

#56 Post by Sean Corbett » March 13th, 2020, 7:45 pm

I've had a Walla Walla trip planned (from BC, Canada) for over a year. Second week of April.

I just hope sanity and calm prevails, and they don't close the borders.

Emailed some wineries and they have all responded that they are cautiously going to stay open for now. But we'll see what Cayuse weekend brings (Cayuse has already cancelled but the other event seem to be continuing).

C. Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by C. Bowman » March 13th, 2020, 7:48 pm

There are many locals trying to help promote businesses. Hopefully everyone that is suffering from lack of biz can survive. I'm sad to hear about the amount of businesses that have cancellations and have had to lay off employees.
Carrie
ITB in Napa Valley where Wine is made & Cigars are smoked

Twitter @nvwineandcigar

Lee Braem
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Lee Braem » March 15th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Just heard on national news that California is closing down “wineries”. I assume this means the tasting rooms. Too bad. Anyone have details?

Al Osterheld

#59 Post by Al Osterheld » March 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm

The governor wants bars, brewpubs, tasting rooms, and night clubs closed. It was communicated as a request rather than a state government order. Also wants seniors to stay home, hospitals to stop allowing visitors unless end of life case, probably some other requested actions.

-Al

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by John Morris » March 15th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm
The governor wants bars, brewpubs, tasting rooms, and night clubs closed. It was communicated as a request rather than a state government order. Also wants seniors to stay home, hospitals to stop allowing visitors unless end of life case, probably some other requested actions.

-Al
This sounds pretty mandatory:
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 129171.php
California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced all "bars, nightclubs, wineries, brewpubs and the like" must close temporarily due to the threat of coronavirus.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Al Osterheld

#61 Post by Al Osterheld » March 15th, 2020, 5:11 pm

See for example the story below, sounds like a strong request but explicitly not an edict.

"The governor stopped short of issuing an edict, but said he expects businesses and citizens to follow his directions. “I am confident these guidelines will be well received and will be appropriately enforced. If it is not being (done), we will do what we need to do.”

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus ... 12146.html

-Al

Lee Braem
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Lee Braem » March 15th, 2020, 6:51 pm

I just got this message from Rombauer.

Rombauer Vineyards is committed to the health and safety of our employees and our community. In accordance with the guidelines issued on Sunday, March 15th by the Governor of California, all winery tasting rooms are being asked to close their doors immediately. Although it is unclear how long this guidance is intended to be in force, we are planning to remain closed through Friday, March 27th. We will continue to monitor the situation and contact you with updates as they become available.

Our tasting rooms in the Napa Valley and the Sierra Foothills will both be closed. We trust this action will further ensure the health and well-being of our guests and employees, which is always our top priority.

Larry Stein

#63 Post by Larry Stein » March 15th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Ridge sent a Facebook post similar to Rombauer’s.

Al Osterheld

#64 Post by Al Osterheld » March 15th, 2020, 8:20 pm

I've received various emails with wording so similar I think it must have been provided by someone.

-Al

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Bryan Price » March 15th, 2020, 8:29 pm

My friends and I were hoping to take a California road trip at the end of April - any shot at Paso Robles being open for business by then?
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Larry Stein

#66 Post by Larry Stein » March 15th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Who knows?! We’re into uncharted territory.

Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Brent S » March 15th, 2020, 9:01 pm

La city just closes all bars and restaurants including wineries.
Brent S

Al Osterheld

#68 Post by Al Osterheld » March 15th, 2020, 9:37 pm

I'm guessing it will be longer than that before things are back to normal. Just a guess, though.

-Al

Larry Stein

#69 Post by Larry Stein » March 15th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Given what my daughter’s take is (I gave her background in the other Coronavirus thread), probably 2 months. Same estimate for working from home.

Matt A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Matt A » March 15th, 2020, 9:46 pm

Had a trip planned to Napa on Thursday. Sadly it is cancelled now. Leah from Myriad was the first email, Flora from nine suns the second, and so forth.....

This was for my 40th bday too. ☹️ Really bummed about all of this but ultimately my family and their health is priority. Now to figure out what to do with the kids for the next couple of weeks while school is on extended spring break....
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said “I need a caretaker.”
So God made a Farmer.
-Paul Harvey

dougwilder

#71 Post by dougwilder » March 15th, 2020, 11:43 pm

What were you doing 96 hours ago? In your office, meetings, going out for meals, packing for Spring break at Disneyland with the kids? Now every hour seems to bring dramatic changes that impact our daily lives, routines and ability to earn a livelihood. Protocols that seemed unthinkable yesterday will inform us when we decide to open the front door tomorrow. The 2018 flu pandemic should be re-branded as the 2018 - 2020 as a cautionary tale for those planning summer vacations this year.
itb

dougwilder

#72 Post by dougwilder » March 16th, 2020, 12:07 am

Bryan Price wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 8:29 pm
My friends and I were hoping to take a California road trip at the end of April - any shot at Paso Robles being open for business by then?
You don't get it, do you?
itb

AJ Thornton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by AJ Thornton » March 16th, 2020, 6:10 am

I had planed a trip to Napa from April 11th - 17th... I know in my gut I should just pull the plug now, but I'm going to ride it out a couple weeks to see what happens.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Brian Tuite » March 16th, 2020, 6:28 am

AJ Thornton wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 6:10 am
I had planed a trip to Napa from April 11th - 17th... I know in my gut I should just pull the plug now, but I'm going to ride it out a couple weeks to see what happens.
Unless you just want to come see the sights...
4CADA69F-EE39-49B8-8A0B-0C5E75ECCADB.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Steve Eisenhauer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Steve Eisenhauer » March 16th, 2020, 7:53 am

Jim Anderson wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 11:26 am
Exactly. Using gloves for short term transportation may seem over the top but I would rather have a protocol of minimal interference that can be impactful. Take the glasses from the table to the dishwasher, place them accordingly, take your gloves off and toss them.
At the Eastern States Wine Convention last week in Lancaster, PA, we were asked to bus our own glasses and spit cups at the end of seminars that had a tasting component. That seemed like a good idea.
ITB - Congruence Wines

J O S H L O N G

#76 Post by J O S H L O N G » March 16th, 2020, 11:40 am

Peju just sent this:
Dear Friends & Family of Peju and Calmére,

The COVID-19 pandemic is unlike any event the world has ever experienced. Health organizations, governments and businesses alike are trying to navigate an overload of ever-changing and often conflicting information.

Yesterday, the Governor of California proposed closing all bars, brewpubs and wineries. The Napa Valley Vintners Association confirmed that this was a suggestion and not a requirement; clarified that tasting rooms may remain open; and encouraged wineries to follow proper sanitizing and social distancing practices.
As a small family-owned winery, we have been trying to figure out the best course of action that ensures the safety of our guests, and supports our employees’ well-being if our winery and others were to shutter completely.

We have decided that Peju Province Winery in Rutherford and Calmére Estate Winery in Carneros will remain open for wine country hospitality during regular business hours.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#77 Post by Jim Anderson » March 16th, 2020, 4:20 pm

We closed for the balance of the month, at a minimum, effective today. Probably coming by decree regardless.

4 weeks. While I don’t know if the order specifically includes wineries I think one has to take it within the spirit in which it was done.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#78 Post by Todd Hamina » March 16th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Yep. Just shipping or delivering from here on out until advised otherwise.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » March 16th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Six counties in the Bay Area will be under shelter-in-place orders as of midnight tonight. That's San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa, Alameda, and Santa Clara counties. In Sonoma County we are anticipating that this order will be extended to Sonoma County (and therefore likely Napa County) within the next day or two. We don't know for sure, this is just what we are anticipating based on the pattern of business and school closures that we have seen here and how the lockdown/shelter orders have spread in other areas. We had six confirmed cases in Sonoma County as of this morning but I can tell you for sure that the number of cases is *much* higher because testing has been denied to the vast majority of people unless they are hospitalized.

Every winery that I know of has heeded the request to close tasting rooms, though as of today production operations have continued at most wineries. Traffic is light on the roads and in general people are getting ready to hunker down.
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Craig G » March 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Ben M a n d l e r wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 10:41 pm
Six counties in the Bay Area will be under shelter-in-place orders as of midnight tonight. That's San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa, Alameda, and Santa Clara counties.
Santa Cruz County added themselves.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

James Billy

#81 Post by James Billy » March 16th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Those doomsday preppers were onto spmething after all [help.gif] [berserker.gif]

dougwilder

#82 Post by dougwilder » March 17th, 2020, 1:37 am

Maybe I should label this a PSA. The virus is going to impose severe changes to how we go about life at least for a while. As I said earlier, think what you were planning 4 days ago, now imagine what 4 days from now will look like. On 3/12, Italy had 15000 cases, as of yesterday it is 28000. Doubling every 4 days, by the weekend it will be over 50k and by the end of the first week in April, close to a quarter million, with upwards of 14000 deaths. Familiarize yourself with the WHO site. They have a versatile interactive tool that allows drilling into the current situation in any country on the planet. Also worldometers.info actually has reliable info with copious updates and footnotes ahead of WHO. These are sobering sites to look at. I have decided that I won't leave isolation to even do one-on-one tastings with wineries at this point as my housemate is a cancer survivor. If shelter in place has not gotten to you yet, it will eventually. Wash your hands.
itb

ChrisU

#83 Post by ChrisU » March 17th, 2020, 9:23 am

J O S H L O N G wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 11:40 am
Peju just sent this:

The COVID-19 pandemic is unlike any event the world has ever experienced. Health organizations, governments and businesses alike are trying to navigate an overload of ever-changing and often conflicting information.

Yesterday, the Governor of California proposed closing all bars, brewpubs and wineries. The Napa Valley Vintners Association confirmed that this was a suggestion and not a requirement; clarified that tasting rooms may remain open; and encouraged wineries to follow proper sanitizing and social distancing practices.
As a small family-owned winery, we have been trying to figure out the best course of action that ensures the safety of our guests, and supports our employees’ well-being if our winery and others were to shutter completely.

We have decided that Peju Province Winery in Rutherford and Calmére Estate Winery in Carneros will remain open for wine country hospitality during regular business hours.
how irresponsible of them.
C. Ur$ini

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#84 Post by larry schaffer » March 17th, 2020, 10:44 am

This is just so wrong and folks should let them know that. We have a couple places down here that are remaining open - and their rationale is that the Governor did not 'mandate' that they close - just that it was a 'directive'. I have certainly made my opinions heard about this on social media both directly to them and to our entire industry in our area - do the right thing . . .

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Ian Brand

#85 Post by Ian Brand » March 17th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Apprehensive and worried.

We're shuttered here, and it seems that every other tasting room is, too. We've redirected our staff to other projects, our antiquated website, gentle customer outreach, packaging, cleaning the winery, planning as much as one can in the current environment. Our focus is on our employees, partners and suppliers, trying to keep everybody going as much as possible. A big, empty winery is a great place to maintain social distancing. That said, a winery is a cash flow business and the flow has been reduced to a trickle as outlets locally and across the country are shuttered and delay paying their bills. The longer this goes on, the darker it will get. Do support your local wine shops and restaurants as well as you can, do please order wine to be shipped. Do engage virtually. Don't come visit us. Soon, but not right now.
ITB - Le P'tit Paysan, La Marea, I. Brand & Family
Salinas, CA

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by lleichtman » March 17th, 2020, 2:26 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 3:33 pm
Was talking with Tegan Passalacqua today and he told me that distributors are saying nobody is ordering wine. Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Licquor Stores... have been slow and not restocking.

Traffic through the Valley didn’t seem any different today.
We bought two cases from them at the winery a week ago Sunday.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by lleichtman » March 17th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Bryan Price wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 8:29 pm
I would look at things not normalizing until beginning of summer. Maybe by June.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#88 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm

I am posting on the main coronavirus thread. I live UpValley in Napa County. You can read my thoughts and experiences there.

We have been told that a Napa County directive will be issued this afternoon, but IT WILL NOT INCLUDE A SHELTER IN PLACE directive.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Lee Braem
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Lee Braem » March 17th, 2020, 2:50 pm

I know my budget is stretched, but if online ordering is still possible from the west coast wineries, could we try to promote some virtual purchasing efforts to help the biz? For those wineries more dependent on tasting room purchases, some way to virtually promote?

Just saw Merrill’s follow-up. Yeah.
Last edited by Lee Braem on March 17th, 2020, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#90 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 17th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Lee Braem wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 2:50 pm
I know my budget is stretched, but if online ordering is still possible from the west coast wineries, could we try to promote some virtual purchasing efforts to help the biz? For those wineries more dependent on tasting room purchases, some way to virtually promote?
There is an entire thread devoted to that...sort of a mini-BerserkerDay. Look at the main forum to find it.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Michael S. Monie

#91 Post by Michael S. Monie » March 17th, 2020, 8:06 pm

I just received an email from Roy Piper saying that while he was topping his 2018's and 2019's he got an alert "to shelter in place".
"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer, down your pants." Chuckles The Clown

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » March 18th, 2020, 8:49 am

Shelter-in-place directive was issued to us (Sonoma County) late yesterday afternoon to begin at midnight, informing us that wine production facilities would be classed as essential services. I work at a central wine lab in Windsor so for us this means we will be continuing operations with a rotating skeleton crew: only one person in a room at a time, disinfecting all surfaces and washing hands whenever we leave or enter a new room. I think we all have mixed feelings about this, but my lab is almost certainly better taken care of and cleaner than anywhere else I might (have to) go during this time, so I for one am thankful to have a relatively safe place to escape to so I can get out of my tiny apartment a couple days a week.
ITB

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by lleichtman » March 18th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Erin Di Costanzo wrote:
March 13th, 2020, 3:09 pm
Chiming in... most of the Di Costanzo March and some April tasting appointments have decided to cancel because people won't be coming to the valley. For us, it is a big impact. Saint Helena feels quiet. I stocked up on cheery white wines over at Gary's (formerly Dean & Deluca) and it was a ghost town. I bet all of the wineries probably want to reach out to their customers to see if they'd like wines shipped to their homes, but are working out the way to send that email without sounding opportunistic. We might do some messaging next week. Strange days indeed.
I would send the emails out. I'm getting 5 or 6 daily already.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Mike Evans » March 18th, 2020, 2:08 pm

I just learned that my storage facility to which I have my wine shipped is planning to close for at least two weeks because of the pandemic, which I expect will be happening with other storage facilities as well. With so much uncertainty at this point, wineries and retailers need to check to confirm shipping information before sending any shipments.

Larry Stein

#95 Post by Larry Stein » March 18th, 2020, 2:14 pm

WineBank (storage facility in the SF Bay Area, Menlo Park) closed on Tuesday except for by appointment only. Only 2 people allowed into the locker area at one time and only for a 15 minute time slot. I was there for a good 1 1/2 hours on Monday grabbing enough bottles to fill my home wine fridge. They are still accepting shipments.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#96 Post by Jim Anderson » March 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm

We just sent some shipments last Friday out to Alabama folks. These, legally, all have to go through an ABC store. Some closed yesterday. All others are open under weird conditions and I doubt they're receiving shipments. Shit, you can only buy, curbside, 1 bottle of wine or 1 six pack of beer.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Gabe Berk

#97 Post by Gabe Berk » March 18th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Sitting here in the SF Bay Area in a county that has mandated In House Shelter. My work has been shut down and everyone is working from home which was tough to maneuver in a matter of hours. EXPENSIVE too! Laptops, software, hardware, logistics, etc. all in about 8 hours.

Kids can't see their friends (neither can the wife and I) with school and daycare shut. Basically drive to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank and hardware store. That is it. Otherwise its hunkered down at home or on a walk or bike ride. This is the new normal and will be so for the next 30-45 days. Crazy times people. Do your part and don't spread this virus for the sake of our healthcare system and those at risk. Facetime, streaming, books, artwork, cooking, cleaning, yard work, drinking a shit ton of wine and finding toilet paper...

eddy c

#98 Post by eddy c » March 18th, 2020, 3:14 pm

ChrisU wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 9:23 am
J O S H L O N G wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 11:40 am
Peju just sent this:

how irresponsible of them.
Yikes I'm sure they will be fined.
eddy chang

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Chris Seiber » March 18th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 2:08 pm
I just learned that my storage facility to which I have my wine shipped is planning to close for at least two weeks because of the pandemic, which I expect will be happening with other storage facilities as well. With so much uncertainty at this point, wineries and retailers need to check to confirm shipping information before sending any shipments.
This freaked me out a bit (many incoming spring shipments), but I just called my offsite -- Spectrum Wine Storage in Irvine -- and they said as of now they're staying open. Of course, that could change.

Frankly, it's not really somewhere that needs to close -- one person works there at a time, and an occasional person wanders in. It's a huge place, and there's never more than a handful of people there at any time, almost never anywhere near each other.

But I know everything is done in broad strokes right now without really much or any case-by-case scrutiny, so they could easily get caught up in that.

dougwilder

#100 Post by dougwilder » March 18th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm
I am posting on the main coronavirus thread. I live UpValley in Napa County. You can read my thoughts and experiences there.

We have been told that a Napa County directive will be issued this afternoon, but IT WILL NOT INCLUDE A SHELTER IN PLACE directive.
That was yesterday.
itb

Return to “Wine Talk”