TN: 2015 Thibaud Boudignon - Anjou Blanc (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou)

2015 Thibaud Boudignon Anjou - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (3/2/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –

NOSE: moderately expressive; green pear aroma with complicating notes of savory hay and a hint of buttered popcorn.

BODY: light maize color; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: whoa!! — very high acidity; tart papaya; gentle note of green apple pulp; woodsy spice (cinnamon-scented candle); light mineral; very dry; medium to medium+ concentration of flavor; 12.5% alc. not noticeable; seems to be holding back somewhat right now — I could see this really taking-off sometime over the next 10 to 15 years. I love this, but it will be too acidic for some folks.

50, 5, 12, 18, 8 = (93 pts.)

Love this wine.

Yeah, this was my first time with this producer. I’m a huge fan of Chenin Blanc (was finally honest with myself about 1 to 2 years ago, admitting that I simply prefer Chenin to Chardonnay), and frequently try to find new-to-me producers whose wines tickle my fancy. It’s been awhile since I’ve had a new-to-me Chenin that I want to re-purchase: this certainly fits that bill @$40.

Nice! Just bought the 2018 to try as this has come up in the social media more and more recently.

His wines at times can be stellar(2012s) but at other times they are severely under ripe(2013s). Still have a few of the wines from 2013 that I’m letting ride to see if they finally mellow out. One other thing I’m seeing in the marketplace with Boudignon wines is that they are getting very pricey for what they are.

Who do you buy instead, Gary?