TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Rabaja, '86 Bertani Valpolicella)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 7825
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Rabaja, '86 Bertani Valpolicella)

#1 Post by Dennis Atick » March 11th, 2020, 7:52 am

Got together with some of the usual suspects last night to check out the new Lyla Lila in midtown and drink some decent wines. We have been a luck few the past few years as our nights are always marked by all wines showing well. Been a good run. Per usual, I tried to jot down some thoughts as we dined.
  • 2007 Azienda Agricola Valentini Trebbiano d'Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Trebbiano d'Abruzzo
    Has a nose that speaks of white Burgundy, but with air, an oxidative, wild-herbal note comes on. Initially, it feels pretty tight, but there is clearly a lot of life packed in. You get a slightly waxy, white fruit in the palate. With air, it just totally pops and was awesome about an hour after opening. Singular wine, there is texture, and fragrance that comes in and out in waves and plenty of lift left to the palate. Terrific and glad to have more as there is no rush on these.
  • 2015 Emidio Pepe Trebbiano d'Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Trebbiano d'Abruzzo
    Really love this stuff. Super showing. Ready to rock out of the gate. Vibrant, lively white fruit and a rounded slightly waxy texture. Super fresh on the palate, wiry acid and a long finish. Very fine with years to go. Old vine bottling. Nice to try the younger and older Trebbiano next to each other.
  • 2004 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Rabajà - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    This was opened a few hours prior to dinner, recorked and brought to the restaurant. Tremendous showing. Power and balance and beauty. So much to the nose: cherry and tar and spice. Still so youthful on palate. Burgundian intensity. Everything is here and will be for years. This is why you buy Giacosa.
  • 1986 Bertani Recioto della Valpolicella Classico Superiore - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Recioto della Valpolicella Classico Superiore
    A nice surprise. Youthful. Smelled like port or sherry, there was some Christmas spice notes (stole that from Brad). It seems like it should be a dessert wine, but it was more than that and was really just a good drink. Though, it was a nice match with the chocolate-caramel dessert. Really good stuff and still full of life.
Posted from CellarTracker

Last edited by Dennis Atick on March 13th, 2020, 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 938
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#2 Post by Tom DeBiase » March 11th, 2020, 8:04 am

Sounds like an awesome night Dennis. The Valentini and Pepe wines are showstoppers for sure and age effortlessly.

tom

Kelly Flynn
Posts: 1091
Joined: March 14th, 2018, 11:12 am

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#3 Post by Kelly Flynn » March 11th, 2020, 8:35 am

Great stuff Dennis! I recently had a Pepe trebbiano 2006. Fascinating wine -- tar, smoke, wax, orchard fruit. Somebody said "it's a white that drinks like a red", and honestly I can't think of a better description.

And recioto is so underappreciated. A recent Bussola TB 2004 had the sweet/savory quality, so often featured in my favorite wines, in spades. Unlike VP, I agree, works very well with chocolate.

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 7825
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#4 Post by Dennis Atick » March 11th, 2020, 8:43 am

Tom DeBiase wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:04 am
Sounds like an awesome night Dennis. The Valentini and Pepe wines are showstoppers for sure and age effortlessly.

tom
Thanks, Tom. I am a fairly recent convert to Trebbiano. Wish I could afford Valentini with more regularly and Pepe is creeping up into the same range. Great wines.
Kelly Flynn wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:35 am
Great stuff Dennis! I recently had a Pepe trebbiano 2006. Fascinating wine -- tar, smoke, wax, orchard fruit. Somebody said "it's a white that drinks like a red", and honestly I can't think of a better description.

And recioto is so underappreciated. A recent Bussola TB 2004 had the sweet/savory quality, so often featured in my favorite wines, in spades. Unlike VP, I agree, works very well with chocolate.
Thanks, Kelly! Nice take, a white that drinks red. I get that. I think the first time I've ever had Bertani. A nice treat. [cheers.gif]
@decaturwinedude

Laurent Gibet
Posts: 1041
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 9:48 am

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#5 Post by Laurent Gibet » March 11th, 2020, 9:44 am

I tasted this Valentini Trebbiano 2007 during Vinexpo 2013. It turned out to be a great (terrific) wine, probably the best white italian I have ever tasted.

Btw, the Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto 2007 was great too.
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6604
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#6 Post by Markus S » March 11th, 2020, 10:03 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:52 am

2007 Azienda Agricola Valentini Trebbiano d'Abruzzo[/url] - Italy, Abruzzi, Trebbiano d'Abruzzo
Has a nose that speaks of white Burgundy, but with air, an oxidative, wild-herbal note comes on. Initially, it feels pretty tight, but there is clearly a lot of life packed in. You get a slightly waxy, white fruit in the palate. With air, it just totally pops and was awesome about an hour after opening. Singular wine, there is texture, and fragrance that comes in and out in waves and plenty of lift left to the palate. Terrific and glad to have more as there is no rush on these.
Could have written the same note for the 2001 I had last year. Tremendous aging potential.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 938
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#7 Post by Tom DeBiase » March 11th, 2020, 10:09 am

Dennis Atick wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:43 am
Tom DeBiase wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:04 am
Sounds like an awesome night Dennis. The Valentini and Pepe wines are showstoppers for sure and age effortlessly.

tom
Thanks, Tom. I am a fairly recent convert to Trebbiano. Wish I could afford Valentini with more regularly and Pepe is creeping up into the same range. Great wines.
Kelly Flynn wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:35 am
Great stuff Dennis! I recently had a Pepe trebbiano 2006. Fascinating wine -- tar, smoke, wax, orchard fruit. Somebody said "it's a white that drinks like a red", and honestly I can't think of a better description.

And recioto is so underappreciated. A recent Bussola TB 2004 had the sweet/savory quality, so often featured in my favorite wines, in spades. Unlike VP, I agree, works very well with chocolate.
Thanks, Kelly! Nice take, a white that drinks red. I get that. I think the first time I've ever had Bertani. A nice treat. [cheers.gif]
I hear you Dennis, getting priced out of Pepe and Valentini wines. Been a year since we tasted through a selection of their wines. Fingers crossed it will get repeated in some way.

https://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewto ... hilit=pepe

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 7825
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#8 Post by Dennis Atick » March 11th, 2020, 10:20 am

Markus S wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:03 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:52 am

2007 Azienda Agricola Valentini Trebbiano d'Abruzzo[/url] - Italy, Abruzzi, Trebbiano d'Abruzzo
Has a nose that speaks of white Burgundy, but with air, an oxidative, wild-herbal note comes on. Initially, it feels pretty tight, but there is clearly a lot of life packed in. You get a slightly waxy, white fruit in the palate. With air, it just totally pops and was awesome about an hour after opening. Singular wine, there is texture, and fragrance that comes in and out in waves and plenty of lift left to the palate. Terrific and glad to have more as there is no rush on these.
Could have written the same note for the 2001 I had last year. Tremendous aging potential.
Nice. I am in no rush on these, I have a couple more and some 14 and 15. Clearly, the 07 has a while to go. It was best after a lot of air.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 7825
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#9 Post by Dennis Atick » March 11th, 2020, 10:21 am

Tom DeBiase wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:09 am


I hear you Dennis, getting priced out of Pepe and Valentini wines. Been a year since we tasted through a selection of their wines. Fingers crossed it will get repeated in some way.

https://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewto ... hilit=pepe
Nice tasting, Tom. Helpful thoughts here. I missed it when you posted last year.
@decaturwinedude

User avatar
Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6683
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 7:19 am
Location: Toronto

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#10 Post by Mike Grammer » March 11th, 2020, 11:43 am

Yum notes, Dennis. Haven't had a Valentini as yet (at least I don't remember having had one), and only the Pecorino from Pepe (which made my WOTY list last year).

Kwa Heri

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

User avatar
Dennis Atick
Posts: 7825
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm
Location: East Atlanta

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#11 Post by Dennis Atick » March 11th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Mike Grammer wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 11:43 am
Yum notes, Dennis. Haven't had a Valentini as yet (at least I don't remember having had one), and only the Pecorino from Pepe (which made my WOTY list last year).

Kwa Heri

Mike
Thanks, Mike! Next time you are in town: Velentini!
@decaturwinedude

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 527
Joined: September 8th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#12 Post by bradkaplan » March 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Great notes, D!
www.ThirstySouth.com

User avatar
Gabe Berk
Posts: 260
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 9:51 am

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#13 Post by Gabe Berk » March 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Mouth watering...With all of Italy in quarantine, they'll have ample amount of time to drink their wines.

Mark Fister
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 481
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#14 Post by Mark Fister » March 11th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Great line up of Italian wines from the northern parts; all top notch producers. Drooling...

Mark Fister
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 481
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol IV: Italians ('07 Valentini, '15 Emidio Pepe, '04 Giacosa Barbaresco, '86 Bertani Valpolicel

#15 Post by Mark Fister » March 11th, 2020, 6:18 pm

BTW, I have vertical of Emidio Pepe trebbiano 15 thru 17. Any suggestions on how long to wait? Have triplets of each vintage...

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”