TN: Two SandiSkerk Whites '11...(short/boring)

Shared these two w/ Susan last weekend:

1. Skerk Malvazija IGP: Venezia Giulia (14%; L1; Oliver McCrum Wines) Prepotto/Trieste 2011: Deep golden/burnished bronze color; rather strong resiny/phenolic/skin-contact rather honeyed/orangey light Malvasia/muscatty/floral quite perfumed quite complex ose; lightly art some skin-contact/phenolic/resiny some orangey/honeyed/graham cracker/bit pungent light Malvasia/muscatty quite complex flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering some phenolic/resiny/skin-contact quite smooth some orangey/honeyed quite complex beautiful flavor w/ light tannins; lost most of that hard/tannic/phenolic edge and developed into a beautiful/complex orange wine w/ no signs of oxidation whatsoever.

1. Skerk Vitovska IGP: Venezia Giulia (13%) Prepotto 2011: Deep gold/burnished bronze color; very strong phenolic/skin-contact/resiny slight cidery lightly honeyed/graham cracker/vanilla wafer some earthy/bit peppery/spicy quite complex nose; quite tart/tangy rather tannic/austere very strong phenolic/resiny/skin-contact slight graham cracker very dry/austere some complex flavor w/ modest brisk bit bitter tannins; very long/lingering fairly tart/lean/dry/austere some tannic bit graham cracker rather complex bit peppery finish w/ some hard austere tannins; the tannins are starting to resolve but probably needs another 6-10 yrs.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. SandiSkerk is one of my most favorite producers in all Friuli. First introduced to me by Oliver McCrum. We did a visit with Sandi some 3-4 yrs ago there in Prepotto. Sat out there on his crush pad and tried a bunch of his wines, whilst looking out onto the Adriatic way off in the distance. He makes a white wine, Ograde, a blend of 3-4 varieties, that is fabulous. And his Teran is an outstanding expression of that grape. Great producer but hard to track down.
    I rather preferred the Malavasia because of the aromatics. The Vitovska was pretty austere/tannic on the palate, but should be a fabulous example of a skin-contact white w/ more age.
    Tom

Love the Ograde!

Nice Tom, not available in my area alas. However this tread got me thinking…Guess many of us are isolated at home right now so why not sample a red or white from Friuli-Venezia Giulia and post your reflections here? I have some Cab franc in the cellar and a few interesting whites so I will post a few TNs here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friuli-Ve … iulia_wine

I had Vitovska 2015 a few years ago. Easily one of the most impressive orange wines from Italy I’ve tasted. I really hope the 2003 I have in my cellar is still in good condition and not over the hill.