TN: EdmundsStJohn Syrah BassettiVnyd '05...(short/boring)

Cracked this last night on a lark:

1. EdmundsStJohn Syrah BassettiVnyd/SLOCnty (14.2%; www.EdmundsStJohn.com) ThirstyPagans With Big Ideas/SuisunCity 2005: Very dark color w/ little bricking; beautiful c-c/black pepper rather Rhonish light earthy strong blackberry/spicy/Syrah slight floral/violets slight black olive tapenade bit cedary/pencilly very aromatic complex nose; fairly tart/tangy strong c-c/black pepper/Rhonish strong spicy/Syrah/blackberry slight cedary/pencilly perfumed/complex flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering strong c-c/black pepper/Rhonish/bit floral strong Syrah/blackberry bit cedary/pencilly complex finish w/ light drying tannins; a beautiful example of a fully-mature c-c Syrah but showing signs of starting to dry out a bit; shows a slight metallic/tangy aftertaste of a wine starting to go round the bend; a beautiful EdStJ fully-mature Syrah.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. The BassettiVnyd, out west of PasoRobles, almost to Cambria, is one of the coldest Syrah vnyds in Calif. The wines always speak of cold-climate Syrah. The vnyd is capable of producing one of Calif’s great Syrahs. Alas, have not tasted any recent Syrahs from Bassetti.
    Tom

I have 2 left. Thanks for your impressions! Me thinks Steve posted on Facebook that it is early yet… ; )

Cheers,
JP

Will have to pull my only 05. Anyone had an 03 lately?

Always thumbs up for ESJ. Thanks for the TN. When you say…“round the bend”…drink up? Drink soon? How soon?

RT

Well, Richard…I would say don’t dwaddle. There’s no reason to hold onto it longer. But it’s not going to change a whole lot over
the next few yrs. Not gonna go off the cliff.
Tom

I am just realizing what an absolute value these wines are…damn. Thanks for the note.

Thanks for the tasting note, Tom!!

I think Steve Edmunds popped one of these recently, and said that he thought it was too soon.

Steve Edmunds! Bomb-diggity