anybody traveling in France?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian Crabtree

anybody traveling in France?

#1 Post by Brian Crabtree » March 7th, 2020, 2:53 pm

What's it like? Any restrictions on movement? Are restaurants open and wine producers receiving visitors? I know things can change quickly. At the time of posting this message almost 1,000 COVID-19 cases are reported in France.

Brian Crabtree

Re: anybody traveling in France?

#2 Post by Brian Crabtree » March 7th, 2020, 5:38 pm

Or just back, or planning to go in the next few weeks?

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mattstolz » March 7th, 2020, 6:22 pm

the embassy still says everything is free for movement but that there are extra checks for flights coming in from highly impacted areas. I am going in a month but have a friend going in 10 days. last night she told me she contacted her tour guides and hotel and they told her Beaune is still business as usual.

theocorrel

#4 Post by theocorrel » March 7th, 2020, 8:10 pm

I know some schools in Alsace are closed for several weeks (as is true in parts of Switzerland), and I read the Louvre was closed (haven't confirmed). Otherwise, I have not heard of any larger closings in France.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Frank Murray III » March 7th, 2020, 8:32 pm

We are likely going to scrap our 2 weeks there in May. I had a week of appointments set in Champagne as part of the trip.
Last edited by Frank Murray III on March 7th, 2020, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

Greg Malcolm
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Greg Malcolm » March 7th, 2020, 8:39 pm

My wife and I were in Paris last week. Did not notice anything different than the last time I was there — 4 months ago. Restaurants were full; needed reservations, even mid week.

(Note: Louvre employee’s refused to open the Louvre after we left.)

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Julian Marshall » March 8th, 2020, 1:18 am

At the moment it's mostly business as usual. There have been some restrictions in some areas, with schools temporarily closing in Alsace and the Oise region, north of Paris (Chantilly area) and the odd football match off; in the wine world a Burgundy wine fair due to take place this weekend was cancelled, there are rumours that En Primeur might be postponed. So nothing remotely like the situation in Italy.
It's probably only a question of time, of course.

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Russell Faulkner » March 8th, 2020, 4:49 am

I live in Bordeaux, school reopens after the scheduled break tomorrow. You wouldn’t really know there was an ‘issue’ except all the pharmacies have signs saying no masks or sanitiser available.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Mattstolz » March 8th, 2020, 6:59 am

Julian Marshall wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 1:18 am
At the moment it's mostly business as usual. There have been some restrictions in some areas, with schools temporarily closing in Alsace and the Oise region, north of Paris (Chantilly area) and the odd football match off; in the wine world a Burgundy wine fair due to take place this weekend was cancelled, there are rumours that En Primeur might be postponed. So nothing remotely like the situation in Italy.
It's probably only a question of time, of course.
I had read that almost half of the reported cases in the country are in the Oise area.

I had also read the Louvre was closed, but have since read that it reopened?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by John Morris » March 8th, 2020, 7:45 am

The Louvre closed for several days at the insistence of the employees, but it reopened.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Carl Steefel

#11 Post by Carl Steefel » March 8th, 2020, 6:19 pm

I am supposed to head there on March 27, but my French colleague (in Orleans) is not sure that things will not start to shut down as the number of cases increase. For France, I expect the worst is still ahead. And we have warnings that the U.S. State Department may revoke my permission to travel, although that has not happened yet.

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Bryan Price » March 8th, 2020, 8:28 pm

I cancelled my travel plans for late April / early May. For anyone in good health without young children and/or around elderly parents, probably fine to go.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Frank Murray III » March 8th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Our concern is that we get there, and then we either experience a quarantine and get held there, or our flights get muffed up and canceled. FWIW, we have not cancelled the trip yet but it's just not looking good.

And, as a huge tennis fan, i just learned the BNP Paribas is cancelled. That's a big deal, with multiple impacts to a lot of people. The event is just 2 hours from our house. Ironically, we were going to attend and spend some days there but the high lodging costs were too much and so we dumped the idea. This is a 2 week event, over 17 million in prize money....the event is toast.
Last edited by Frank Murray III on March 9th, 2020, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

theocorrel

#14 Post by theocorrel » March 9th, 2020, 12:07 am

Someone in the Coronavirus thread in the Travel section posted that there are 30-something cases in Beaune. (Don't know if this is correct.) You might want to follow up with him. Beaune is about the size of one neighborhood in Seattle, i.e., a tiny fraction.

Danny Chao

#15 Post by Danny Chao » March 9th, 2020, 4:33 am

I was in Paris last week Feb 29-Mar 4 and everything was operating normally. The Louvre closed for a couple days but reopened as others have said. Customs process entering France and upon return to the US was normal as well; we weren't even asked if we felt ill. British Airways cancelled a few flights, but no noticable disruptions to travel.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 9th, 2020, 5:05 am

We were supposed to be in the Provence area in a little over two weeks, but we just canceled. We were worried about the same thing as Frank. Possibly being stuck there or quarantined. We are considering a Champagne, Chablis, Burgundy trip in the fall, instead.
CT: outplaying

Daniel McIntosh
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Daniel McIntosh » March 9th, 2020, 7:30 am

No. All travel postponed.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Julian Marshall » March 9th, 2020, 9:29 am

The current situation is that the government is preparing to raise the level of their grading of the situation from level 2 to level 3, probably in the next two or three days, meaning that they consider the virus to be present in most of the country rather than a few regions. When this change takes place, more schools will be closed and some public transport services will be affected. All meetings of more than 1 000 people have already been banned, so I imagine that puts paid to EP (not that anyone cares).

Basically the thing seems now to be spreading fast and it looks inevitable that there will be increased disruptions, so it would probably be wise to postpone any trips. If you do decide to brave the bug, I shall be quarantining myself in my cellar, with my corkscrew. You're all welcome to join me.

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Greg Gardner » March 9th, 2020, 9:36 am

We were supposed to leave for Alsace on Wednesday, but are cancelling due to concerns others have noted: getting stuck in a quarantine or lockdown on one end of the trip or the other (we're from Seattle so who knows what will happen here in the coming weeks). Also it sounds like most museums and cultural sites in the region are closed, so there would be much less to do then we had planned on.

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#20 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 9th, 2020, 11:18 am

Also considerate to those not from Seattle...that you don't spread the mess from King County.....

This is all a two-way street/ contamination.

We don't really know much about its spread yet, given the lack of testing/ results after all this time. But, I'd be more scared to visit Pike's Market now than the Louvre.

Carl Steefel

#21 Post by Carl Steefel » March 9th, 2020, 1:01 pm

Julian Marshall wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 9:29 am
The current situation is that the government is preparing to raise the level of their grading of the situation from level 2 to level 3, probably in the next two or three days, meaning that they consider the virus to be present in most of the country rather than a few regions. When this change takes place, more schools will be closed and some public transport services will be affected. All meetings of more than 1 000 people have already been banned, so I imagine that puts paid to EP (not that anyone cares).

Basically the thing seems now to be spreading fast and it looks inevitable that there will be increased disruptions, so it would probably be wise to postpone any trips. If you do decide to brave the bug, I shall be quarantining myself in my cellar, with my corkscrew. You're all welcome to join me.
This was pretty much what my colleague in France said (he works for the guv'mint). My original plan was to sneak in and then get quarantined there, pouring wine at either Huet or Cotat for a couple of weeks...

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Russell Faulkner » March 9th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Noticeable today that people have stopped shaking hands and kissing for the most part.

Gobindjit S. Dhaliwal

#23 Post by Gobindjit S. Dhaliwal » March 9th, 2020, 4:58 pm

theocorrel wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 12:07 am
Someone in the Coronavirus thread in the Travel section posted that there are 30-something cases in Beaune. (Don't know if this is correct.) You might want to follow up with him. Beaune is about the size of one neighborhood in Seattle, i.e., a tiny fraction.
I think that was me. According to this article that's from March 7 there were 119 confirmed cases in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté.
https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 95867.html

I was going to fly this Friday, but the people I'm working with to import some wines and make connections with Domaine's really suggested I not go for my and their safety. The virus itself is not my worry, but the hysteria behind it. Take a look at this, a whole hotel in Beaune was quarantined after a guest died. They weren't allowed to go until the test came back negative, luckily it was not the virus.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200226/corona ... hinese-man

I really wanted to go, but it wouldn't be fun since things will start closing down once France goes into level 3.
ITB

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Frank Murray III » March 9th, 2020, 5:30 pm

We successfully found our house sitter today, which is ironic because this was our main concern: find someone responsible and trustworthy to take care of the dude who is in my avatar. Now, we have the hardest part solved and yet we're dealing with the frigging virus fallout. Whether the risk is reduced or minimal in 8 weeks, I'm not sure that is going to happen and so we'll just wait now and see what happens in France, what the CDC guidance is on travel and what shakes out here locally. If things get bonkers here in SoCal, then we're not leaving for sure.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

William Kelley

#25 Post by William Kelley » March 10th, 2020, 7:30 am

theocorrel wrote:
Pretty sure that this is not correct. I just arrived in Beaune and none of my friends here heard anything of the kind. That is not to say that cases in France are not likely hugely underreported, but I think there is no basis for the notion that Beaune is any kind of hotspot for coronavirus. I have to say, getting into a 1975 Bollinger while a pot-au-feu cooks on the stove, I am happy to be back, jet lag and virus pandaemonium notwithstanding.
The Wine Advocate

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Frank Murray III » March 10th, 2020, 7:56 am

Les Printemps des Champagnes has now been cancelled.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 10th, 2020, 8:17 am

Also, Les Printemps des Chateauneuf du Pape and a wine festival in Auvergne.
CT: outplaying

theocorrel

#28 Post by theocorrel » March 10th, 2020, 8:36 am

William - the person reporting came & posted in this thread with sources (I have not read) - take a look.

ryancurry

#29 Post by ryancurry » March 10th, 2020, 8:59 am

I was supposed to go on Thursday, but switched my flight to the end of April. For all I know things could be worse then.

I'm not scared of the virus for myself, but I'd rather not be part of the problem of spreading anything right now. Also worried about flight cancellations/quarantines. With young kids at home, I can't be stuck abroad for extended periods of time.
itb

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by John Morris » March 10th, 2020, 9:39 am

William Kelley wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:30 am
theocorrel wrote:
Pretty sure that this is not correct. I just arrived in Beaune and none of my friends here heard anything of the kind. That is not to say that cases in France are not likely hugely underreported, but I think there is no basis for the notion that Beaune is any kind of hotspot for coronavirus. I have to say, getting into a 1975 Bollinger while a pot-au-feu cooks on the stove, I am happy to be back, jet lag and virus pandaemonium notwithstanding.
theocorrel wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:36 am
William - the person reporting came & posted in this thread with sources (I have not read) - take a look.
I've searched the two threads in the travel forum and don't find any reference to Beaune.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jeff_M. » March 10th, 2020, 9:44 am

Booked for New Years. Hoping by then this is in the rear view mirror.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache

m. ristev

#32 Post by m. ristev » March 10th, 2020, 9:52 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 8:29 am
Ibis hotel in Beaune under partial quarantine (one whole group); right now it seems like it's only folks who had contact with one individual.
here is the original quote regarding beaune however from some searching it seemed like it was just precautionary: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 92069.html
mајкл

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by John Morris » March 10th, 2020, 10:02 am

It's probably worth cross-referencing the threads in the Travel and Restaurants Forum, since they're active and cover the same topic:

Coronavirus and Summer Travel

Drastic times call for drastic measures (focused on Italy so far)

theocorrel

#34 Post by theocorrel » March 10th, 2020, 10:16 am

John - I can’t really search the Board right now but it looks like the guy might have removed the post - but nonetheless, he posted here acknowledging the other post & providing sources. In his original Travel post, he said 30-something cases in Beaune, as I said, but I don’t know if this is correct. I haven’t really read the sources - I’m not going to France immediately - but the one from the French government does seem to report 115+ cases in the Bourgogne Franche Comte Department as of a few days ago.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by John Morris » March 10th, 2020, 10:31 am

If you're going to make claims like that, you should provide a citation. It seems from the story in post #32 that a Chinese visitor in Beaune died of a heart attack and that, out of caution, 30 others in the same tour group were briefly quarantined until the cause of death was determined.

Bourgogne Franche Comte encompasses seven departments, and stretches from nearly Paris to the Swiss border.

theocorrel

#36 Post by theocorrel » March 10th, 2020, 10:39 am

John - The only claim I made is that someone posted this in the Travel section - which he has acknowledged - that I didn’t know if it was true, and that people should talk to him or consult his sources. He provided his sources in this very thread. Get a grip. The English was clear and basic.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Frank Murray III » March 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm

ryancurry wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 8:59 am
I was supposed to go on Thursday, but switched my flight to the end of April. For all I know things could be worse then.

I'm not scared of the virus for myself, but I'd rather not be part of the problem of spreading anything right now. Also worried about flight cancellations/quarantines. With young kids at home, I can't be stuck abroad for extended periods of time.
Ryan, good to hear from you. How's everyone doing? Was good seeing you a few months ago.

Were you on United? I'm waiting to see if they're going to offer any relief for those like me who have tickets coming up but who would rather apply the full value to a future trip. I'm not wanting to pay the $200 change fee if I can avoid it.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

ryancurry

#38 Post by ryancurry » March 10th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Hi Frank,

All is well here!!

I was on Norwegian to Paris, then lufthansa (miles) back. I had to pay $330 to change the Norwegian flight. I just hope that they are still in business when I try to go next month. Their stock has been getting killed. I paid $125 to get my miles back from United. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Best,

Ryan
Frank Murray III wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:29 pm
ryancurry wrote:

Ryan, good to hear from you. How's everyone doing? Was good seeing you a few months ago.

Were you on United? I'm waiting to see if they're going to offer any relief for those like me who have tickets coming up but who would rather apply the full value to a future trip. I'm not wanting to pay the $200 change fee if I can avoid it.
itb

Christopher Dunn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Christopher Dunn » March 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
ryancurry wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I cancelled a United flight to Taiwan. I got 100% refund. No change fees.

Ramon C

#40 Post by Ramon C » March 10th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Christopher Dunn wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Frank Murray III wrote:
ryancurry wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I cancelled a United flight to Taiwan. I got 100% refund. No change fees.
Change and/or cancellation fees are based on purchased ticket class that's being cancelled/changed. Some ticket class = no change fee; other ticket class = change fee.
@brera

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Frank Murray III » March 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Christopher Dunn wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:
ryancurry wrote:

Our travel is in May, which is not covered by the temporary fee waivers.
My best wines for 2020:
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM

My best wines for 2019:

Kindness matters.

Carl Steefel

#42 Post by Carl Steefel » March 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Christopher Dunn wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:
ryancurry wrote:

Refund of the full ticket price, or just the change fees??

JasperMorris

#43 Post by JasperMorris » March 10th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Just to advise on Beaune situation

There have been no cases in Beaune so far. A Chinese tourist did indeed die of a heart attack, and so his group were kept in quarantine just for the length of time necessary for confirmation that the victim did not have the virus.

Grands Jours de Bourgogne was sensibly cancelled as being a high density event attracting visitors from all round the world. Some of the fringe events are continuing on a small scale.

There are some virus cases in the wider region, and of course we need to keep monitoring

At the moment:

no masks
no raiding of supermarket supplies
some people trying to restrain from handshakes etc

David Baum

#44 Post by David Baum » March 10th, 2020, 11:15 pm

A good friend of mine was booked to spend this week in burgundy for the event. It got canceled but he decided to go anyway and make the best of his trip. He should be back this weekend and I will try to get information from him.

Frank, he is also a good friend of Bruce’s and works where Bruce did when he was working down here in San Diego. I’m sure we could connect the two of you and he can share notes with you

William Kelley

#45 Post by William Kelley » March 11th, 2020, 1:23 am

John Morris wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 10:31 am
If you're going to make claims like that, you should provide a citation. It seems from the story in post #32 that a Chinese visitor in Beaune died of a heart attack and that, out of caution, 30 others in the same tour group were briefly quarantined until the cause of death was determined.

Bourgogne Franche Comte encompasses seven departments, and stretches from nearly Paris to the Swiss border.
Yeah, that is all I could find myself...
The Wine Advocate

Odd Rydland

#46 Post by Odd Rydland » March 11th, 2020, 4:13 am

From the European side of things, I would say; don't go. Things are escalating quickly and European governments are taking this very seriously (though in many cases too late).

People coming into Norway from infected areas are soon to be routinely quarantined I guess (this is now SOP in most businesses, Equinor (the Norwegian oil company) have suspended alle business trips by plane), and most European areas will be decided infected reasonably soon I guess. People may also be quarantined in infected areas before they are allowed to return home, and flights are being cancelled all over the place. Things are only bound to become worse.

I have had tons of meetings moved online, and like anybody who has the opportunity am working from home and doing virtual meetings. The fiber network thankfully is superb, and I may be moving to my reasonably isolated though online (Gigabit fiber) seaside cabin for periods.
Last edited by Odd Rydland on March 11th, 2020, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pierfrancesco Bini

#47 Post by Pierfrancesco Bini » March 11th, 2020, 4:36 am

Flying to Europe from today till June is utterly stupid.
Last edited by Pierfrancesco Bini on March 11th, 2020, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Heaton

#48 Post by Tim Heaton » March 11th, 2020, 4:37 am

I've been in Italia since 13 Feb.; a lot has happened here since I arrived.

I was to meet my wife in Strasbourg, where we'd spend a night or two before taking a week in Alsace. As of yesterday, I'd still clung to the idea that this was going to happen beginning 8 April, it won't.

The reality is that things everywhere are about to get worse, and by worse I largely refer to disruption. It's also important to me to respect locals that are in that precarious position of needing tourist dollars, but not wanting to be customer facing, so to speak. It's lose/lose right now, and for the next months, at least. I feel really bad for the business/people affected. Really bad.

Right now, as a tourist, I'm allowed to pass from Italy into France, and return (as my flight to USA is booked out of Italia, and I therefore have a legitimate need to travel; can't say with great confidence that this will continue to be the case.

My advice to anyone considering coming here in the next few months is to postpone. And this is coming from someone that elected to wait it out here.

There's nowhere else I'd rather be right now. Just wish my wife was with me.
ITB italianwine.blog
CT: Tim Heaton

Odd Rydland

#49 Post by Odd Rydland » March 11th, 2020, 4:54 am

Pierfrancesco Bini wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 4:36 am

Flying to Europe from today till June is utterly stupid.
Rather bluntly put, but that was more or less what I was trying to convey. And I would add "irresponsible".

Odd Rydland

#50 Post by Odd Rydland » March 11th, 2020, 8:37 am

Latest News from Norway: Cruise passengers are not allowed to embark in any circumstances. If you are put in "home quarantine" after being in contact with a person that may be infected (eg arriving from a area with Corona) it is now illegal to break the quarantine. Hospitals are withdrawing all vacations. Foreigners arriving from contaminated areas will be returned or put into quarantine.

This is how serious this is. You don't want to be in Europe this side of summer. Better stay home and be prepared, I just cannot see the US avoiding similar measures.

Return to “Wine Talk”