TN: 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Sous Frétille

It’s not that long ago that I had Dubreuil-Fontaine’s wine from the same vineyard, although it was the 2015 vintage. That’s a very solid wine in its own right and at half the price of the PYCM a very good value. That said PYCM’s version is easily at least one level above DF and one can only wonder what are the key differences in the winemaking that lead to this result. I guess I don’t really have a choice, just need to buy everything from this guy that I can.

• 2017 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Sous Frétille - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru (7.3.2020)
    Popped and poured, this was wide open and most approachable right from the get-go. Beautifully reductive on the nose with notes of lemon, apricot and smoke. While not perhaps amazingly complex it is very generous and attractive. On the palate rich and opulent with plenty of dry extract. To me this all about texture; it is luscious yet firm at the same time with more concentration than Pernand whites usually have. It sports a very good acidity and terrific balance.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love that wine - the reductive quality of Pernand plus PY’s style - doubly reductive - but in an appealing way!

Have you tried any bottles of his PV Combottes or Belles Filles yet?

I have not but I’m fairly confident that Mr. Nanson has. Would love to try everything from this address but unfortunately the availability is so very limited.

I’m currently enjoying a 2017 Rapet p&f Pernand Vergelesses 1ere sous Fretille. It’s so bright and citric, I did a double take to wonder whether I had accidentally pulled a sauvignon blanc instead! As it warms, you have green apple and lemon peel notes coming through. Not nearly as reductive as PYCMs version. Have 1 bottle of that in the next slot over.

PYCM makes magic out of seemingly all the relatively-less-prestigious sites.

It would be interesting to put some of these into a blind tasting with more expensive Puligny, Chassagne or Meursault from other producers.

Had another bottle of this wine last week. A terrific drink, with just the right amount of reduction. The '17 Bourgogne Blanc is starting to drink really well too.