Hud.-Noell. Meursault

At the Saturday session of the recent HDH auction the house poured a Hudelot-Noellat 1ere cru Meursault, which must be the first white wine they have ever made. It was nothing to write home about, but does anyone know when the acquired the land and what their plans in this area are?

Thanks.

You sure it was a 1er? I know they now make a Meursault Clos des Ecoles as of the 2017 vintage.

Is that a ‘lieu-dit’? I couldn’t see the name clearly, just that there was something written under Meursault. As I said, it did not impress me as much more than an every day dinner wine.

Correct. Shame to hear it didn’t make a good impression.

I haven’t had a good impression from a Chardonnay in forever.

I think the entry point for good impressions must be getting out towards $150 to $200.

I certainly can’t seem to find the entry point anywhere near what I would consider to be a reasonable price [not even for a special occasion, like Easter or Thanksgiving or Christmas].

Nathan—one great white—Bouchard MP—is less than $90 and there are lots of other great Chablis and Meursault under $100 still.

Totally.

Further, I often find Dauvissat 1ers for under $100… definitely a good impression there. Also Bernard Moreau Chassagne 1ers have wowed for a similar price.

This is a common rant of Nathan’s. Tons of amazing chards under $100, plenty of excellent ones for significantly less. Off the top of my head, PYCM St. Aubins rule but of course there are just soooo many. Seems naive to believe that quality is really so dependent on price.

I hear you, Nathan. For me, I really need to get north of $500 to find something of interest, and that would be for a Monday night. And, for Easter or Thanksgiving or Christmas? Well, forget it, because then you are looking at $2,500 and above; Coche Perrieres and the like. Sadly, for guys like us with such incredibly discerning palates, it’s the price we pay. Thanks for all of your insightful posts.

Not to mention a lot of fantastic California Chardonnays (e.g. Ramey, Kutch, Stony Hill, etc.) that are all under $70.

And all of Marcus Goodfellow’s wonderful Chardonnays. Or Walter Scott or Cameron. There’s an ocean of classy Chard in OR.