Campania: Guido Marsella, Salvatore Molettieri

About an hour ago, I finished my visit to Guido’s cellar; he’s obsessed with Fiano di Avellino, in the best of ways. A 2009 was fresh, full and elegant.

In another hour, I’ll have my second visit to Salvatore Molettieri. I find their Vigna Cinque Querce to be a nice expression of Taurasi, but it’s their Riserva, from the same vineyard, that offers me an experience, as much as a wine/beverage. I’ll taste the latest releases as I won’t be going to VinItaly in June. More to follow.

After a windy, rainy morning, the skies opened up to complete sunshine, and the wind has abated, for now.

Have you had a Molettieri wine that has reached maturity? Everyone that I have opened has been young, including multiple bottles at least 15 years old. I’m starting to believe they never mature. At least, I like what’s in the bottle so not a real issue.

Feel like I’m having an Italian wine live-feed - this is great!

And no, I haven’t had one yet either. A couple years back I opened a 2000 and it was still quite structured and tannic, but for a Molettieri, I’d say it was approachable.

In the past year, I’ve had two 2005 Vigna CQ (non-riserva). One was good, needed an hour in decanter, became better. The other, explosive from the get go. I hear what you are saying. I grabbed another few 2011 Riserva, and tasted all the new releases including the excellent 2012 VCQ riserva.

On the way to my AirBnB, I passed Serpico vineyard, and was obliged to stop and enjoy the end of the daylight, with a Short Churchill as my companion.

I’ll open a 2001 Vigna CQ tonight (the normal, non-riserva) tonight out of curiosity…

1 Like

Plans to visit Ciro picareillo?

Have been previously. They are about half way up the hill on the same road as Guido.

Yep, that’s why I was asking…

do you have a favorite there?

Just got done picking up groceries; in Greve in Chianti until 14th. Lots of appointments this week: Riecine, San Giusto a Rentennano, Castello di Monsanto, Volpaia, Antico Lamole, etc.

I love Molettieri’s wines. I have never had anything really old, and agree the 06’s are still quite young.

I was there during harvest 2016. What an amazing visit. His older brother died just a couple of weeks ago.

My friends just had their May tour cancelled, what a bummer.

Would have to be both, Guido and Ciro, love them both.

[winner.gif]

Also check out Roberto DiMeo’s Fiano, great elegance and longevity.